OS upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS upgrade

ok this is my first 1 so i dont know what wrong or what i did wrong.

i installed vista home prem 64 bit and everything seemed ok...

ok being i had xp 32 bit on the MB prior to that i figured i go to asus and get the latest 64 bit bois update for vista. ok i go to download the asus installer and it say it cant find the OS and or the OS is hidden.....

so whats up???????????? should i do a reinstall?????

everything says its there,,, running 64 bit,,,,hell im typing to you on it right now lol.

i have the MB install disc,,, it says it has vista beta drivers on it.

how should i go about this???? or should i just take it to my computer guy and let him sort it out?????

thanks for any advice you guys can give.

Re: OS upgrade

Try and browse the CD itself and look for the Vista x64 drivers (without going through the auto-popup-start menu).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ok been doing some reading m8 and found out on asus boards you cant have more then 2gb of ram installed when installing the vista OS... could this have casued the problem????

and can i install the VISTA drivers on the mobo after i installed the OS?????

Comment

there is no "64bit bios"

and you have to install drivers after the OS is installed.

most of the drivers should get installed with Vista, and Windows update should find 80-90% of whats left.

Google the drivers that are left.

I spent quite a while trying to get my touchpad drivers of all things to install correctly.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

ok then i dont know then lol....

could it have been using to much mem, asus recomend only 2 gig when loading vista,

could that be why when a few things i try it say no OS found????

even when i tyr to update some programs to the 64 bit versions it say its not supported by the OS....

im so confused, i wanted to try to figure this out on my own but i guess its just not going to happen.... ill take it to my computer guy tomarro i guess.... tell him to do a complete install and update everything thats needs updated.

its just driving me nuts lol,, i have to stop before i dont have a machine at all grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

thanks everyone. i thought i could fix anything, well i found out otherwise :(

Comment

The 2GB recommendation doesn't apply to every board by ASUS. Look on ASUS's forum for your specific board and see if any other user on there has x64 Vista installed with 4 GBs of RAM.

The OS shouldn't be the issue, since the x64 edition can support up to 16 GBs of RAM and 4 GB is on the low end of that spectrum.

What is your motherboard btw?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would say you should want to do a clean install anyway, just to have a tip top system.
              As for ASUS forum, don't make me puke. I feel like I'm on dial up everytime I go there. And it's not just me. Everyone is complaing about it, and have been since at least Nov. when I started going there.
              Hard to believe such a highly rated hardware company can have such a horrible site. Not just the forums, but the hole thing is bad.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                I would say you should want to do a clean install anyway, just to have a tip top system.
                As for ASUS forum, don't make me puke. I feel like I'm on dial up everytime I go there. And it's not just me. Everyone is complaing about it, and have been since at least Nov. when I started going there.
                Hard to believe such a highly rated hardware company can have such a horrible site. Not just the forums, but the hole thing is bad.
                Same here. My best guess it's probably the php system they have in place. Might need some optimization and perhaps the server is outdated as well?

Anyways, Cappy, your first good source of information (other than ASUS tech support) is their official forums.

It's the only way I found out that my specific board doesn't support 512 MB graphic cards.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you feel that you don't want to take the time to figure out what to do, it's best to take it to a technician to get everything updated. Although, you might end up in the same position again if you have to update drivers or perform a reinstall. You might want to learn how to do everything now and understand the terminology.

I think you can get the necessary information here but there are some things that must be understood:
                  1. You might not get a response immediately. It may be a few hours or even the next day before you get an answer.
                  2. A problem should be posted with all the necessary information in a clear and concise form. Post your computer specs because I don't remember if you ever posted it before and in which thread.
                  3. Definitely google everything. It takes a bit of practice to use the correct search terms but we can teach you the terminology so you can perform better searches.
                  4. Use proper grammar and spelling to the best of your ability. I usually don't care about this but when it's about solving a problem it matters. People need to see the information and be able to easily understand the situation.

We can get through this (if you haven't already gone to the technician). Post your PC specs and we can figure out if there are any issues.

Here's what I can assume what the situation is:
                  1. You have successfully installed Vista 64.
                  2. You have problems finding the Vista 64 driver for your mobo. (You do not install drivers to the mobo. Although, you can flash your mobo with a new BIOS.) Please post what this ASUS installer that you downloaded. Is it an update utility? Or is it the driver installer?

You most likely do not need a BIOS update if everything is running smoothly. Getting the latest mobo drivers is probably a good idea and, as DdogG posted, you can google for them.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I agree with =Sarc=, the only updates for the motherboard should be BIOS and maybe drivers for your built in sound & networking. Vista will usually download the latest drivers for the sound & networking on it's own. I just installed Vista Ultimate x64 and everything installed on it's own that was built on my motherboard. I did however have to manually update the drivers for my sound card and video card.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X