Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Cables, Monster Ripoff: 80% Markups

Monster Cables, Monster Ripoff: 80% Markups <--Link

Just passing on an interesting article. A guy working at Radio Shack sent The Consumerist a list of prices for Monster Cables, those extreamly expensive audio video cables that say they will give you the best signal possible, and turns out the markup is about double.

I actually have a set of Monster Cables to hook my Playstation 2 up to my TV, but don't know if they were worth the $40 or so I paid for them.

Truth is though in retail, pretty much everything is 2x the price paid wholesale, which is how companies can have 50% off sales and still make money.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Monster Cables, Monster Ripoff: 80% Markups

Great thing about Monsters is that there's a lifetime warranty. I play guitar, so I have about 30 thousand of them. You break one, they give you a new one.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to actually read the article. That does suck, but when I went and bought mine, they never cost too much at all.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
    Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
    Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

its not surprising................although that in itself is sad.

Comment

Common knowledge. I won't touch cables at any b&m store at all now-a-days.

All of my cables come from Monoprice

Great cables and the prices are nothing short of spectacular.

Comment

Hmm, 2x+ markup is pretty surprising. Then again, that does explain why those Monster cables are so darn expensive.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My brother in law worked at Best Buy and he told me this story.

They didn't ever really push one brand or model of TV/receiver over the other because the markup on them wasn't great. But they did push the monster cables and other accessories because that is where the money was made. They had all kinds of stories about how the picture would degrade with the cheap cables. (Which isn't really true with digital signals.)

He said it was common to sell 50-75% of the price of the TV in cables and other accessories.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Every cable in any store is ridiculously marked up. I thought this was common knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                Every cable in any store is ridiculously marked up. I thought this was common knowledge?

Maybe for the techno geeks like us. But for the general public it isn't. That is why the scam works.
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  Maybe for the techno geeks like us. But for the general public it isn't. That is why the scam works.
                  But its a cable... how can someone believe that a bunch of little wires with a copper end covered in rubber costs 50+ dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy_T View Post
                    But its a cable... how can someone believe that a bunch of little wires with a copper end covered in rubber costs 50+ dollars?

How can anybody pay $500 dollars for a purse? How can anybody spend $300 on a flashlight? Why would anybody in their right mind pay $50 for a pair of baby shoes?

Why do people pay $60 dollars for a pair of jeans, or 4 dollars for a cup of coffee?

I don't know. The consumer is stupid is all i can some up with.

Comment

heh...how about sterling silver conductor speaker cables at $1,000 per meter!!
                      Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        How can anybody pay $500 dollars for a purse? How can anybody spend $300 on a flashlight? Why would anybody in their right mind pay $50 for a pair of baby shoes?

Why do people pay $60 dollars for a pair of jeans, or 4 dollars for a cup of coffee?

I don't know. The consumer is stupid is all i can some up with.
                        How about because the consumer pays what he/she is willing to pay for any particular item?

There was a coffee shop back home that was half the price of Starbucks and a hundred times better, but I haven't found a decent coffee shop convenient to where I live/work now, so I go to Starbucks. Yes, I'm willing to pay $5 for coffee that I know will be good.

Likewise, I've got a Monster cable for my sub because there simply wasn't any other comparable product out there. Monster makes quality cables. If someone else was making comparable products and selling 'em cheaper, I have no doubt they'd be popular. I run my own speaker wire, but I don't tip 'em. Anything with a connector, I'm buying retail. I just don't want to bother to make my own cables anymore, so I'm willing to pay for it.

Anyway, to get to the article, whoever wrote that is highly ignorant of the basics of transmission lines.

Here's the thing: digital cables, by definition, have no signal loss. A cable is either digital or it's not. As long as its built to HDMI standards, the only difference between a "fancy" digital cable and a no-name one is the price.
                        This is about as wrong as can be. The author is confused. There's nothing digital about a cable and every cable can have signal loss. Most A/V digital formats are either there or not there, though, and so someone can get away with saying that "digital cables, by definition, have no signal loss." But a cheap cable might barely pass the digital signal, while Monster cable is coming through loud and clear. The digital format is going to look the same for both cables right now. A year from now, however, corrosion might keep the digital signal from passing through the cheap cable, while the same amount of corrosion on a Monster cable still allows the digital signal to pass. Make sense?

That said, I don't think there are significant differences between, say, HDMI cables from different manufacturers these days and replacing cables in the unlikely event of a failure would probably be cheaper than paying for Monster.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The big thing you have to worry about in digital cables is the slew rate. not necessarily the signal loss. If the end connector is gold then it will not corrode. A cable with a gold connector doesn't help at all if the mating connector on the TV is copper. As a matter of fact it may cause more problems because of the dissimilar metals. The bottom line is that Monster overcharges big time for their cables but you know that you are getting a quality cable. If you buy a cheap cable then chances are really good you will see zero performance difference.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by jaymind View Post
                            Common knowledge. I won't touch cables at any b&m store at all now-a-days.

All of my cables come from Monoprice

Great cables and the prices are nothing short of spectacular.
                            +1 on monoprice.com! that place is AWESOME!!

Comment

I'm surprised, 80% is kinda low.

I knew a guy who used Cat5e cable to send audio to his speakers.
                              I know a place I could go If I wanted to spend $2000 for a 10 foot length of Audio Cable, sold to me by a blind guy, he's blind so he must know audio right?

Finding your personal point of diminishing returns is the key. And don't think theres not a mental bit in there, where one thing of equal or superior quality will appear to a consumer to perform weaker because someone else tells them so. I'm a strong believer in the power of suggestion. I'm also a strong believer in that's how many companies make their money.
                              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X