No announcement yet.

CPU upgrade

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU upgrade

Im looking to upgrade CPU/MBO within the next few months. Im a bit out of touch with the market, so...I will upgrade Mbo, CPU and Mem. The rest of my system will carry over just fine.

If you had to purchase a new CPU today (2/8/8) for less than $300 what would you get? AMD, Intell...

Last edited by Sarcoma; 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM. Reason: more info

Re: CPU upgrade

for price, i would go AMD, what kind of ram do you have currently? do you have a PCI-E gfx card? asuming you have compatible ram, and a PCI-E gfx card, you could grab a
    and a for under $300 plus shipping
    again: assuming you have a pcie card and ddr2 240 pin ram, ram is cheap and 2gb can be had for under $100 these days tho.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

You can build an AMD system for about $370 getting the cheap quad core, 2Gb of RAM and motherboard. there is so many differnt layouts that a person can do and get within the price range you are looking at.
      AMD and Intel is more on preferrance than anything unless you start spending top dollar to get top performance. AMD and Intel has processors within the same price ranges that usually compare to each other. I myself prefer Intel right now, next year it maybe AMD though.

I would wait. I know you said today (2-8-08), but by mid march the new Intel chips will be in full swing, and right now they are just blowing the tech review sites away. They can't believe how good they are, and they are the same price as the chips right now but for faster speed.
        Funny you should ask this today, because I just read this article this morning:
        Intel Core 2 Duo 45nm Wolfdale vs. 65nm Conroe

Looks at these chips:
        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33GHz) LGA775
        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz) LGA775
        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.00GHz) LGA775
        - Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 (2.66GHz) LGA775
        - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz) LGA775
        - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz) LGA775

"Final Thoughts
        As expected the newer 45nm Core 2 Duos delivered some added performance, which is twice the good news when you consider it basically comes free of charge."
        sums up the article.

I will say though just like I pointed out in another tread, today's CPUs aren't the bottleneck in most people's system if you have a good CPU. The article points out that no matter which CPU you are running, if it is over 3.0, it is not going to give you any added FPS.

Also, if you wait a few weeks the price of what is out now will come down. Take for instance the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz, on sale at newegg for $244
        Price is supposed to be like $189, but they can't keep them on the shelf. There is even a 1 per person limit. And with a simple change in your BIOS you could easily be doing ~3.8 or so instead of stock 3.0, with no fear of hurting your CPU.

If you look at the stock, it is the same as the E6850, but runs faster, cooler, and less power draw, and when the e8400 prices comes down to normal, it will be about $100 cheaper too.
        Check out the e6850 for $274

People always complain about people who want to wait for the next big thing when they could have something today, but the next big thing is here, just need to wait a couple of weeks to get it :)

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

I have the E8400, I have only had it running for about a week and will say that I am in love with it. Only thing is I never really had a good fast processor to begin with so can't compare only by reviews and charts I seen and read on the internet. Prices have gone up a little on the E8400 since it's debut though. If you were one of the lucky ones such as me you could have gotten it for about $220 or even a little less including free shipping.
          I had intentions of holding out for the E8500 but had the money and it was burning a hole in my pocket. I knew if I tried to wait I would have spent it on something else and not gotten anything to build a new computer.

Bamboo speaks the truth. As it stands now the C2D seem to be the best performers and as such I would stick with them (this could all change though). AMD does offer some nice processors for less money but the OC ability of the intels make them to good to pass on IMO.

i Would wait till march,,, the 45nm chip are comming out and all i can say is WoW. you know what sucks is the 32nm chips are comming out in Q4 lol so all those new 45nm boards that everyone will be buying are already outa date. from what i read they will NOT be compatable with the 32nm chip sets :(

in march ill be building a new system based off the Q9450,, can pass up the price and or the 12mb cashe its toting :)

i mean March is only a month and a 1/2 away dude.. wait for it,, you wont be sry.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed