Upgrade Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Question

I am in need of upgrading. Here's my quandary. I have somewhat limited funds, so I can only go on one or two of these paths, not all of them:

1) Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHZ/1333FSB) Cpu. Currently using a E6300 (1.86ghz/1066FSB). $259
    2) Additional Graphics card for SLI (I have an 8800GTS 640MB, and compusa that's closing has one here that's new in box..., and I have a 680i motherboard and 850watt antec powersupply).
    $335 (or whatever I can get it from NewEgg for)
    3) 4 or 8gb of ram and Vista ultimate 64bit. Currently using 2gigs of XMS2 6400 RAM and XP Media Center (I have a TV Tuner that I do use, and an Xbox 360 used as an extender). ($160 for RAM and ~$200 for Vista)

What do y'all think would be the most effective upgrade overall, and for gaming. Mostly, I play Battlefield 2/POE2/2142, but occasionally use it to edit very large (100+page) documents as well as webpages and other apps.

Re: Upgrade Question

Have you already tried overclocking your CPU? Are you using the stock intel CPU cooler?
    You can get a lot more then 1.8 out of it without fear of hurting it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

What are you hoping to do with your PC?

Comment

well i just switched over to VISTA HOME PREM 64 bit and so far so good :)

has most of what ultimate has and alot cheaper... got it at clubit for $103 dollars :)

if ya ask me thats a really good deal :) http://www.clubit.com/product_detail...emno=CA7252240 well it went up a dollar :P

Comment

Yes, I've tried overclocking. The most I seem to get out of it is about 2.1ghz. And it's not very stable there. I'm using a Zalman 9700 CPU cooler (I don't like the intel HSF mounting solution).

Comment

The E8400 I have and love so far, a few people are trying to get me to OC it but I so far have not had the need to so probably won't till I need to. Depending on where you want to get your components from you can do better than $259 on the E8400. I got mine for $212 but I know prices have gone up slightly since it's debut.
            One other thing, are you sure the motherboard you have would run the E8400, I had heard a lot of the 680i MB don't unless the BIOS is updated and then it is only a maybe.
            Try getting the 8800GT to run SLI, it is a lot cheaper at about $239 then if the MB you have does not support the E8400 get a new one with the money you saved. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4, seems to be a pretty good MB so far.
            RAM.... so many to choose from that has the option to get 4GB and at fair prices, you can also find kits for 8Gb as well. I was going to order 8Gb but threw the money down on something else instead.

Comment

Your rig should handle the BF games pretty well. So the RAM upgrade would be a better option to help out with editing large documents.

The other option is get the CPU + video card upgrade to play newer games at high settings.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

My motherboard will support the new processors.
                The additional 8800GTS 640 will be hard to come by, and I'll lose my TV tuner, as the cards use a 2-slot cooler solution. I could go with 2x 8800GT or GS and do SLI, but I wonder if this is really worth it.
                I'm limited to 4gb with my current OS, though I'd like to go to vista 64 anyway.

Comment

Are both of your PCI-e slots 16x in SLi mode? Some people are finding that their mobos are 16x for the first card and 8x for the second in SLi mode and not getting the pop that they thought. Since RAM is cheap right now and that is a good price for your processor, my first thought is to upgrade CPU and add 2 gigs of RAM. You have big opportunity to OC the new processor down the road if you need to. I have the Core Duo 3.0 and don't need to yet. I play the same games as you on Med-High to High settings. I get 60fps on Crysis and FFOW and 100+fps on BF2 on high. I am just running one 8800GT OC 512, 4 gigs of RAM and the Core Duo 3.0.

Comment

I can go 2x PCI-E-16 and 1x PCI-E-8 on my board. It is actually able to do 3-way SLI, but only with 8800GTX or Ultra, which is insane, if you look at the prices of those cards. I'm probably going to go with the processor and then see how it goes from there.
                    Thinking of just adding 4gb of ram and seeing.

Comment

The RAM would be the cheapest option, which for 2 gigs you could get for under $50, or the full 4 for under $100.
                      Might try that 1st, then see if you want/need to do more, like the CPU.
                      I have the 8800GTS 640 as well, and I play everything smoothly on High, except can't run Crysis smooth on Ultra High (nobody really can).
                      I also have Vista 64 and really like it, but you are going to take a performance hit, just a small one, if you upgrade to it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I personally wouldn't bother with the SLi route. the 8800GTS is still a solid card. What resolution do you game at? If you play at 1680x1050 you should still be ok with that card. Nvidia has new cards in the works as well that may be worth waiting for. They might not be worth the money but they could cause the current cards to drop in price or there will be a flood of used cards for cheap as people upgrade.

I would say go with the 4gb of ram even if your still on 32bit OS. It will be able to use about 3.5gb roughly and if you do decide to upgrade to a 64bit OS your good to go.

I would shop around for the best price on the CPU if you can't OC your current one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X