Wireless Router..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Router..

Well..i would like to upgrade my old linksys wireless "B" router...was hoping you guys knew of the "uber router" that i should get...

i have 3 pc's here in the house that all have "G" or better, and the game machines are all hardwired, and i also use the linksys network optimizer as i also have a vonage phone plugged in..

what is the "one" to get fellas..?

Re: Wireless Router..

I use a Belkin Draft-N and I love it. The range and speed are phenominal, and the menus are highly customizable. It even supports multiple static IP's.

I have used 4 of them, and 2 of them are 4 years old. I have never had trouble out of any of them. If you are using it as an access point, you also get to use it as a wired hub, (the tricky part is that when in access point mode, you have to plug the WAN line into one of the LAN ports... the WAN port stops working. other than that, it is awesome.)
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I just got this one (draft N) a few weeks ago and it is working great. I have my game cpu hardwired and it is lightning fast. Even though this is the newer "N", I also have 3 other cpu's in the house using wireless G from their existing cards. Definetely increased signal strength and range. You can get faster speeds with a "N" card, but the G runs 54 mbps and that is plenty fast for regular surfing.

Comment

I'm currently using the WRT54GL with latest Linksys firmware. The router is popular since many load a open source firmware with more options on.

I haven't had any problems with the router with hardwired PCs or wireless PCs. Router supports AES, WPA, and WPA2 along with b and g standards.

Wireless computers are running a MSI card with antennae. Wired system are hooked up with CAT5/E cables. Router to modem is hooked via a CAT6 cable.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

man..i feel dumb asking..but what is the difference between a CAT5 and CAT6 cable to the modem..?

Comment

i saw one that has a spot for i guess a network drive..

i am no network guru..i am amazed that i got my little network going and it has lasted so long..but i do have several extra drives and some empty housings..so if i got that one wioth the drive port, i can use that as like a "media server" type thing?

i am probably not asking that correctly..

let me see if i can find that link again..

thanks for the help fellas..

Comment

Bird just get one of the N routers. I myself have the Belkin Pre-N wireless router with the appropriate desktop card and it's been perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                man..i feel dumb asking..but what is the difference between a CAT5 and CAT6 cable to the modem..?
                If I remember the numbers right, the CAT5e I have running are 500 mhz pipes and the CAT6 I have between the modem and router is 600 mhz, so the CAT6 is faster which helps to lower response times (not that I know by how many ms).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  I'm currently using the WRT54GL with latest Linksys firmware. The router is popular since many load a open source firmware with more options on.

I haven't had any problems with the router with hardwired PCs or wireless PCs. Router supports AES, WPA, and WPA2 along with b and g standards.

Wireless computers are running a MSI card with antennae. Wired system are hooked up with CAT5/E cables. Router to modem is hooked via a CAT6 cable.
                  I recently got this router as well and it works fine. The non "L" version is supposed to be full of issues though as it doesn't have the same firmware. Plus the L version has removable antennas so you can upgrade them for better or more defined signal.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                    Bird just get one of the N routers. I myself have the Belkin Pre-N wireless router with the appropriate desktop card and it's been perfect.
                    same here.
                    The Old Guy
                    kin3
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, guess this is a good place to ask. I recently bought the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and got everything hooked up and running after some time of fooling with it(first time messing with a wireless router or even a router at all). I am running Vista and I have the computer and a VOiP phone adapter plugged into the back but I also have the PS3 that I am running wireless. Whenever I turn on the PS3 and a signal is recognized the the computer pops up with a message saying internet connection troubles or something that means I had lost my connection. If I try to use the software for the router I can never get the connection back so I use Vista to repair the connection. Is there a way that this can be stopped or something I gotta live with? since I figured out how to get my internet connection back and pretty easily it is no real big deal but I was thinking I must not have something configured properly or is this just something that happens while the PS3 gets the signal, the brief interupttion causes the router to stubble so to speak losing the connection for a brief moment. After I get the internet working again all runs smoothly with no problems after that though.
                      Any thoughts??

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                        Well, guess this is a good place to ask. I recently bought the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and got everything hooked up and running after some time of fooling with it(first time messing with a wireless router or even a router at all). I am running Vista and I have the computer and a VOiP phone adapter plugged into the back but I also have the PS3 that I am running wireless. Whenever I turn on the PS3 and a signal is recognized the the computer pops up with a message saying internet connection troubles or something that means I had lost my connection. If I try to use the software for the router I can never get the connection back so I use Vista to repair the connection. Is there a way that this can be stopped or something I gotta live with? since I figured out how to get my internet connection back and pretty easily it is no real big deal but I was thinking I must not have something configured properly or is this just something that happens while the PS3 gets the signal, the brief interupttion causes the router to stubble so to speak losing the connection for a brief moment. After I get the internet working again all runs smoothly with no problems after that though.
                        Any thoughts??
                        hmm..sorry man..i do not have a PS3..and my computers run mandrake or XP Pro..so am useless to you..

you might just start a thread asking about it...maybe someone else has had that happen as well..:)

Comment

Any thoughts??
                          Have you tried setting the range of LAN IPs to a larger range? (ex. ***.***.***.100 - ...110)

You can also try to giving each of your wireless machines and PS3 a specific LAN IP address (done in the CP). That should resolve the issue you're having.

Birdie have you decided which router you're going to fly away with?
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I recently upgraded my old Linksys WRT54GS to a Linksys WRT330N (had to get an N-card to go with) and I've noticed an incredible difference in my gaming experience. I used to get a good degree of packet loss from my G router/card, which is now gone, and for some reason, I no longer need to use Vista Anti-Lag to get rid of the 60 second beacon interval (where the ping spikes to several thousand as windows searches for wireless networks). I highly recommend picking up this set.

Comment

Any thoughts??
                              it sounds like the PS3 is set to use an IP that your computer likes.

I know it sounds weird, but even on DHCP, computers tend to go to the same IP every time if they can.

My computer goes to x.x.x.07 on both my home and work networks everyday, even though 2-6 are not used.

I had a computer at my old office that went to .223 (with a range from 4-250) for some very strange reason, and that just happened to be the web server (and DNS, and mail, and FTP) I never figured out why it did that, but I couldn't set it static b/c her home router was set to a different subnet. Another computer kept pulling the IP of the network printer...

Try setting a static on one or the other that is outside the DHCP range.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X