arctic silver = impressed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arctic silver = impressed

i noticed that the thermal grease on my desktop computer was.. well.. less like grease, and more like flaky goo that has long ago dried to a solid... so i bought the arctic silver 3 thermal grease complete with cleaner/remover, and my temps went from about 40c idle, to 27c idle (i cleaned the fins of the STOCK heatsink and fan as well) and 52c with 100% load (seti assured 100% cycle usage nonstop) to not getting above 38c after 30min of 100% load... thats awesome

mobo/northbridge is a constant 33c loaded or not

edit: system specs

AMD 4400+ X2 (ehh, its kinda old and im building soon)
    2GB corsair XMS (complete with LED activity lights) -(ramtest shows over 700,000 errors per stick lol)
    ASUS A8N sli-deluxe (the assumed source of ram error problem)
    ATI x1950pro
    just shy of 1TB storage with 3 HD (1 main 320x2 in raid1, 1 320 main drive)
    Antec P180 case (the best case ever)
    antec trio 700watt (i think its 700.. or 750) PSU
    no annoying led fans, just the ram lights which i cant see when side panel is on... 3 120mm fans set on low.. cant hear a thing with the insulated-quiet case

overclocked from 2.2 to 2.6 100% duty temp = 41c
    Last edited by Tonk; 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: arctic silver = impressed

When I first built my new machine I used the Zalman grease that came with my heatsink/fan, but the idle temps were always in the >35C range. So, I bought the Arctic Silver kit and now my idle temp is always whatever the room temperature us ~23C. From that point on, I will never use any other compound than Arctic Silver.

Comment

Arctic Silver 5 all the way. My computer idles at ~20C, and playing games gets up to maybe ~25C. I owe it all to the liquid silver!

Comment

i wish i could find more stuff to put it on, maybe a bandana in the summer to keep me cool?
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Here is a link to a review of some new stuff
          OCZ Freeze Thermal Interface Material
          The tests they do look good, maybe better than AS5 (which is what I am currently using.)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

good stuff, I also noticed a few post about the OCZ stuff on the ASUS forums.

Comment

Arctic Silver is great. Been using it since 2004.

Comment

Makes me wonder if I have a bad heatsink/fan or if I didn't get the AS5 on just right, my E8400 is running at about 28*C idle and about 46*C when playing CoD4 or PR. Maybe I should check the heatsink again to make sure it is on good??

Comment

46 is not a bad temp, especially with generic TIM(i am assuming) applied
                  when i used to have my system oc'ed to 2.85-ish back when it was more stable, my temps would be at 55 during full load (55 is a normal temp for my cpu.. when using my dynamic fan speed thing on my mobo, 52c is the lowest setting to 'keep cpu at:', with settings every 2c from 52-68, obviously the cooler the better, but unless you are ar 70c constant, your cpu life span wont degrade fast enough to the point where it goes before it is outdated anyway