Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Aurora (My Next Computer)

I thought I'd shared some photos of my next rig thus far:

I figured out that cabling on the Antec P180B is a nightmare. I'm not too fond of the small cabling holes in the divider between the PSU/Lower HDD chamber and the upper chamber. I might even have to recable everything when I install the motherboard in a few months.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Project Aurora (My Next Computer)

Oh man I wish you had read in my other posts about the Antec P182. It is so much better than the p180. It was easy to run all the cables up behind the MB, so you don't really see any now.
    And I have been seeing it on sale for $89.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yep, but I bought my P180B some 9 months ago, so I'm not about to flop another Benjamin on a new case. ;)

I forgot to mention that I'll probably lug the PC downstairs to put in the core components since it'll be too heavy (and I'll be too afraid of a drop) to carry it downstairs completed.

You really can't see it in the pictures but I dented the floppy bay cover trying to get it off (was trying not to break the tabs).

Edit: I don't like the Gun Metal Black. I like my case to be all black and preferably all in the same shade of black. One of the main reasons why I went with the P180B.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ran into another problem.

I'm going to have to take out the preinstalled Antec Tri-Cools in the rear and top (along with the low-med-hi switch) since my Zalman MFC1 FC takes a 3-pin fan connection and I'm not able to find any 4-pin molex to 3-pin (female) adaptors.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Could you find like a Y adapter or splitter, so you could connect the 2 fans together and still have the Zalman?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Nope, I can't find any female to female 3-pin connectors. I just figured I should get 3 new fans instead. Plus I don't have to worry about the hi-low switch on the tri-cool fans getting in the way, even though I might be paying a few dollars more.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmm, found something that would work for me (although with a extra useless molex): http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=3317

It goes for $2.09 for each one. Jeez...s/h is $8.

Edit: Monoprice and NewEgg didn't have the connector above.

Edit 2:

Found it at Amazon with $5 s/h (shipped from the same CyberGuys): http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Molex-Pin-MB/dp/B000BSJGL0

Nice! :)

Edit 3: Hmm, I think I'm going to get 3 new fans instead. I'm very wary of more extra cabling that I don't need. I'm tired of the spaghetti inside the last 3 systems I built.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Get three Silverstone FM121s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835220014

I have one. It's pretty loud, but it moves so much air. Three would be so awesome if you don't mind the noise. :)

Comment

I have the same cabinet, its pretty good. Except both my front USB ports broke pretty easily, the little middle piece came out. Sucks a lot of dirt in, I've got to clean my filters constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                    Get three Silverstone FM121s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835220014

I have one. It's pretty loud, but it moves so much air. Three would be so awesome if you don't mind the noise. :)
                    $16 a fan! That'll cost me $48 + s/h for 3. It does offer twice the CFM as the Masscools I tend to get. I'll add it to my purchase wishlist and see if I can hack the extra $23 when I make my final purchase. Nice find BTW. :)

Edit 1: I found another Silverstone that moves 6.7 less CFM for about $12. :D
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      Oh man I wish you had read in my other posts about the Antec P182. It is so much better than the p180. It was easy to run all the cables up behind the MB, so you don't really see any now.
                      And I have been seeing it on sale for $89.
                      Hmm, I went back and looked at the P182 pictures. I don't see how they "fixed" the cabling problem. The mobo underside might be a bit roomier, but that's for smaller cables (that I could run anyways on the P180B). I'm talking about the divider between the lower and upper chamber. That plastic slot thingy really restricts my thicker cables to a confined spaced. Plus the 120mm fan in the lower chamber is in the wrong place (for me anyways). I just wish I could install that fan in the lower front, but I can't since I can't fit a 120 in there and there the grill holes are too big for me to mount a fan properly.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually, the did do the slot a little different, and if you read some of the reviews out they say it is much better. I actually don't think I even use the slot. There is a ton of room behind the MB tray and I have all my wires including the fat power ones going back there.
                        I have seen a lot of mods that allowed people to do things with the fans, so might want to do some searching.
                        Here is a pic from very early in my build, before I actually organized the cables with the strap downs.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          Actually, the did do the slot a little different, and if you read some of the reviews out they say it is much better. I actually don't think I even use the slot. There is a ton of room behind the MB tray and I have all my wires including the fat power ones going back there.
                          I have seen a lot of mods that allowed people to do things with the fans, so might want to do some searching.
                          Here is a pic from very early in my build, before I actually organized the cables with the strap downs.

Yea, I did the same thing. I wish I had gotten a modular PS so I could plug in only what I need and not have to deal with a lot of power cables that I don't use.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse