Dying Vid Card, Suggestions / Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying Vid Card, Suggestions / Advice?

I was hoping to survive another few months on a dying eVGA 7600GS, but now I'm not sure if I can survive another few weeks.

My 7600GS is going down the drain (so-to-speak) and I noticed I could no longer play games about a month back. Rendering Windows and such was fine, but now I've noticed tremendous slowdowns just opening up a new tab in Firefox or typing at my usual speed (about 30 wpm) in Word.

I've recently noticed that the 7600GT, 7800GS, and 7900GS cards are no longer stocked and/or discontinued on NewEgg. The cheapest 7600GS is $96 shipped. I paid about $140 for my current one after rebates.

I also want to pass my system along to another family member, so another reason why I'm worried by the sluggishness of this card.

I see two options:
    • buy a new 7600GS @ $96
    • Use a old mx440 until my 7600GS comes back from a RMA (about 2 weeks to 1 month). Which also means I probably can't photoshop.

Which one should I go for?
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Dying Vid Card, Suggestions / Advice?

sounds dumb...but did you try cleaning the heatsink of dust? or maybe reseating it?
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Yep. Try everything including a fresh install of XP Pro. I wish I had a better card than the mx440 I have lying around (not sure if it is still functional).

Hmm, just talked with eVGA tech support, and according to the tech I my video card turn-around time could be within 10 days (if I ship via Priority). Now I'm considering using the onboard 82865G graphics my ASUS board has once I start the RMA until I get the replacement or swap in the mx440.
      Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 02-13-2008, 10:34 AM.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am pretty sure that with you running XP, your graf. card has little if nothing to do with firefox and word. Those are both CPU and memory and HD related.
        What kinds of problems are you actually having with games?
        I would try running with your onboard video 1st to see what happens, since that is a simple BIOS change, and then decide if it is really your card or something else.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

...Give up on AGP: I know, you're going to hate me for saying that... But it needs to happen sometime.
          Skud

Comment

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/...p_card_for_115

Comment

Are you getting graphical artifacts while playing in game? This doesn't seem like a graphic problem, sounds more like a CPU/Memory problem.

Comment

No, I'm not getting artifacts in game. My framerates used to be around 45 fps in CSS and BF2142 and now they barely even hit 5 fps. It was just very sudden. One day it was fine. The next I got 5 fps or lower.

I've never encountered a problem like this before. Hmm, well I'll try swapping in another pair of DDR400 RAM tomorrow and see if that helps.

Otherwise I don't have another CPU to try. Other graphics options is either onboard or a very old mx440.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I just got off the phone with a Paul at eVGA and it was suggested that I test my card in another AGP system and run a framerate benchmark on it.

I'm going to see if I can do that on my AGP system upstairs.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You should also run a test with the onboard graphics and/or the mx440 just to see if the card is also causing the problems with Word and Firefox. Otherwise, they could be unrelated problems that's causing the game problems and the desktop app problems.

Also try a clean driver install since that shouldn't take so much time to do.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

30wpm? Doh!

Comment

30 wpm = 30 words per minute. This means I type around 150 to 210 characters per minute. I can hit 45 or so on rush-rush paper days (with quite a few errors).

Originally posted by Sarc
                        You should also run a test with the onboard graphics and/or the mx440 just to see if the card is also causing the problems with Word and Firefox. Otherwise, they could be unrelated problems that's causing the game problems and the desktop app problems.

Also try a clean driver install since that shouldn't take so much time to do.
                        I will be doing the onboard test after I take my 7600GS out and put into the system behind me (which has a AGP 4x slot). So in short, I'll be running a GPU benchmark on my 7600GS while I'm testing my system out on integrated graphics.

As for the drivers...I'm repeating myself on this too many times. I've done that about 20 times over. About 12 before my complete reformat last week and about another 8 since the reformat. I've tried 93.71, 94.24, 103.xx, 106.xx, and 169.21. None of those help. Running games in DX7.0 with 800 x 600, no AA, no AS, low/medium graphics doesn't help either. It's not a software issue, because the reformat should have solved any software conflict.

I apologize if I sound angry towards anyone. This is the 5th problem with this system since I built it all the way back in 2004 (and 2 mobo/cpu/ram transplants). I've had enough hardware problems plaguing me every few months.

Everyone's input is greatly helpful. Gets my mind thinking in new directions instead of worrying over the problem. I should know something more useful by Friday or the weekend.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Good news! I cleaned dust from every part of the my system as best as I could and did some reorganizing of the wires plus I pulled my video card out, and replugged it along with my RAM.

Based on a 3D benchmark test, my framerates seem to have returned. :D

I'm guessing it might have been an airflow problem since I had a jumble of cables that blocked most of the air coming in through the front of the case.

You guys have been very helpful. Thank you everyone! (will see if I can +rep everyone)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X