RAID questions/issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID questions/issues

So I've decided to set up a RAID 0 in my computer (I'm bored and I have a week off from school), but I have a few questions/issues before I proceed. I purchased a new drive, identical to the one I am running everything off of now, and am wanting to RAID them. Firstly, do I need to re-install Windows after I have plug-in the new drive and set the necessary bios configurations (I'm assuming yes)? Do I need to somehow clear off my current drive before I do anything? Is what I'm hoping to do even possible?

I also have a third drive I use purely for storage, will this drive interfere with the RAID (i.e. can I have the two drives in a RAID and the third separate?

I think I have more questions I just forgot them.... Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: RAID questions/issues

You have to reinstall everything. Since RAID 0 is striping data across both drives, it has to be set up from scratch.

The third drive can be separate from the RAID configuration.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Re: RAID questions/issues

Are you wanting to do a clean install? There are programs like Acronis True Image (Free trial can be used) that can record your drive. Basically you can copy your drive, build your RAID than copy that data back onto the raid and it works perfectly with no data loss. Done it a couple times and it worked fine.

As for the RAID, the setup will be contingent on the BOIS of the MB you have. Normally it is a simple thing of installing both of them and than you can mount them by hitting some key combination during the POST process. Try and make sure you do a BOIS RAID (Hard RAID) versus some software RAID (through Windows), there are differerences.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X