What's Next in Graphics Cards: Integrated Physics Processors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Next in Graphics Cards: Integrated Physics Processors

I know most of you all are up and up on the up and up, and have already heard about Nvidia buying AEGIA, but some people have not heard about what Nvidia plan to do:

http://gizmodo.com/357166/whats-next...ics-processors

Right now, they're porting the PhysX engine over to run on GeForce 8s, and it'll be a simple software download, bringing some additional physics-crunching juice to current cards. The next step is a GPU with an onboard specialized physics processor.

Glad I got an 8000 series card now :)

Edit:
    more here
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14147

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: What's Next in Graphics Cards: Integrated Physics Processors

Yay... we can see some extra particle effects that don't really make games any more fun. It's a nice value-add for GF8 owners but it really isn't going to make games more fun to play.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I think it will. I'd rather see the massive explosion AND the body go flying than just some half-baked boom and a rigid body.
      <<<<Magic!!

-F- Concr3te: "Brutus, goddammit, shut up!"

Comment

Rigid body? Ragdoll physics have been around for years already. All these physics processors have proven to do is calculate the distribution of debris and particle effects, and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference when they made the big hubbub about it when GRAW came out.

If I saw a justifiable, practical application of this technology I'd be excited, but now it seems to be a novelty that AGEIA tried to make a cheap buck on with their stand-alone card. That said, more power to nVidia if they want to integrate them into their GPU cards, but I won't be paying extra for that. With multiple-core processors the new standard, I think these sort of physics calculations would be much more effectively delegated to a processor core.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

i think if ageia physx cards become more widespread (i think every 8x00 card could be very widespread) then the technology will skyrocket, and if it is processed like the ageia card does it, it will be a more efficient way to calculate post process effects
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by HBrutusH View Post
            I think it will. I'd rather see the massive explosion AND the body go flying than just some half-baked boom and a rigid body.
            Oh yes. Muhahahahha

Comment

Cool beans; too bad I don't play any games that use Ageia...
              Skud

Comment

rag doll effects and dynamic real life physical effects are daylight and dark... it just needs time to be widespread enough that R&D actually shows progress.. give it a year or two, anyone download the ageia ball&box software physic simulator? just think if everything in the game interacted like that, post-nade explosion object interaction more than 2 seconds after the nade? true realism imho
                powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Yeah, it's kinda strange, but it would be awesome to see that kind of thing in game.

Also, when I said rigid bodies, I meant when they settle they go solid, even in the weirdest of positions (RE:hanging by an ankle from a lamp post)

Also, I agree with Tonk, Ragdoll physics just doesn't satisfy me enough, I mean: How many bodies actually stay in one piece after an explosion?

I actually WANT to see limbs flying around and staying persistant, rather than fading.

It may not be the standard now, but who knows? Maybe one day it will be, and we'll be laughing at ourselves for shunning the idea.
                  Last edited by HBrutusH; 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM. Reason: edit: Limbs
                  <<<<Magic!!

-F- Concr3te: "Brutus, goddammit, shut up!"

Comment

lol i laugh at myself when the 100mhz cpu came out and i was like... how much faster can a cpu get... 1000mhz? and when i was reading part of a book (i forget what book, but it was a mid-90's era computer related murder mystery my mom gave me (lol) where there was a file that was over 500mb and the laptop they found only had 256 ram and couldnt open the file so the owner of the laptop COULDNT have done it, because the file needed a computer with over 512mb of ram... my computer at the time had 32mb of ram (upgraded from 16mb.. it was the shiznit) and i was like... 512mb ram??!!?!?! NO WAY IN HELL WILL THERE EVER BE A COMPUTER WITH THAT MUCH RAM!!!! THATS HALF THE SIZE OF MY HARD DRIVE (1.2gb ftw)
                    the lesson: i now never put limits on anything computer related... 400ghz 16 core processor with 6TB ram and 400tb hard drive half full, connected to a 1GB/s internet connection? i dont doubt it windows x512bit os ftw

o and to the above post: arms flailing around... nah, i wanna see body parts being ripped apart, a heart land at your feat, and if u look at it, you can see it's last beat before it stops, your character able to be impaled by shrapnel from a wood crate that was next to a grenade, and if it doesn't hit the vitals, you be able to pull the chunk of wood from your stomach/leg/arm... realism like that is only a few years away imho, the only bottleneck is the jump to x64 os for the majority of the average household computer, once that happens, it will be worth it for manufacturers to make 4gb(or more) graphic cards... games that require 1900x1200 resolution, require 1gb vram, 8gb system ram, 100gb free on hard drives