just(finally) ordered my new rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just(finally) ordered my new rig

i would have liked to go Intel but i was on a semi-budget, so i went AMD instead

Processor: AMD 6400+ X2 3.2ghz dual core
    Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR AM2
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS(g92) 512mb *
    RAM: Crucial Balistixx 2GB (2x1gb sticks)
    CPU cooler: ASUS Silent Square Pro
    Operating system: Windows Vista x64 (vista doesnt have the problems anymore.. stop being afraid)

i am using my 2 year old antec p180 case, my 5month old antec 650watt PSU my g15 keyboard, 20.1'' Benq monitor, benq dvd+-rw and my (2) 1 year old Seagate 320gb perpendicular recording SATA drives in raid1

system prices are cheap right now... cpu was 166, mobo was 230, ram was 65 gpu was 280, my last cpu (checked it on old newegg orders) cost me $450, my mid grade mobo cost 170, and the ram was 250, and i had a $200 gfx card... the overall bill for my new rig was a few bux over a grand... not bad since my last build was 1700 (case hard drives, psu keyboard/mouse along with it, but still)

* the g92 based GTS(which should have had a diff model name) is not the watered down 90nm but the new (same as the GT) 65nm technology. reviews and benchmarks show that it performs 15-25% better than the GT, and since it is a dual slot, it runs cooler too.. i plan on either buying a second, or doing the step-up(if offered) to the new 9800 comming out soon (might upgrade in the summer or so)
    Last edited by Tonk; 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: just(finally) ordered my new rig

I have a P180 too--what an awesome case. I reversed the airflow in the top chamber so I exhaust out the front, while the bottom chamber draws from the front, as anexperiment to see if crosscurrent circulation would make a difference on cooling. It didn't by more than a degree or two but I love the fact that I could.

Sounds like a nice rig--been going with AMD for my last 3, never regretted it.
    sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

all my built rigs have been AMD, my last intel was a 666mhz pentium 3 i think or 2... but yes, i love the p180, i keep my airflow from front to back for the sole fact of the air filter keeping dust out, i keep all my fans on low (front top is med tho) it is whisper quiet and temps are room temp (in the case)...

if i wasnt on a budget, i would have liked to get the p190-1200
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Yeah, that p190 is a monster. Not sure many people would even come close to needing the watts that can put out, but would be so easy to work in. I read one review though that said once you build it and put it in place, it is so big forget moving it again. Crazy......

What is the deal with the $$ of the motherboard. Seems really high, and your link above actually goes to the CPU.

Edit:
        I think you just put the price of the GR. card in 2 times, since newegg has it for $229, a bit more reasonable :)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

i fixed the mobo link, its expensive, cause its the best one i could get =) the reason i am building after just under 2 years of a system is cause of my mobo, so im not cutting corners this time
          fixed the price too, it WAS 230, it was late, dont blame me, blame the lighting
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Sounds pretty good but I would have ordered at least 4Gb unless you already have some more to add to the 2Gb you ordered since you are getting Vista x64. I am glad I got Vista x64, it is running really sweet on my new rig and love the eye candy Vista has to offer and some of the new features. The 4Gb I have I have only used about 60% of the RAM at the most so far while playing games. The E8400 processor I have while playing I might have used about 58% at times. For the most part it is barely uses 25% though while gaming. I hthink that it is whatever you can afford and are happy with should be hat you go with in processors(AMD or Intel). I had an AMD system before this new rig and it served me well for over 5 years. If I get that type of service out of this rig with minimal upgrading then I will be very happy.

Comment

Isn't it crazy getting a new rig after trying to game on a old one.
              Mine is the same way, with CPU usage rarly going over 50%, where as my old one would choke at 100% the moment you double clicked the shortcut, and then still had to run everything on LOW.
              Can't wait to see the games that will make this rig choke in like 2-4 years. Good time to be a gamer. ;)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I love my G92 GTS's, you'll love yours :)
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

that is a hawt chipset, g92 :D

Comment

hey, it was a budget build, i plan on getting 2x2gb in the future, summer maybe. as it is, i dont use the 2gb i have (had) on my old rig, so doing what im doing right now.. ram isnt my choke yet.. ill have 6gb by summer