Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Wii and computer trick

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw[/media]

Is this possible with FPS games? Seems like it would be.
    I知 not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Cool Wii and computer trick

i can see wii incorporating that in wii2 that is awesome1!!!!!!11! nice find +rep
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

OMG!! The potential for developement is HUGE!!!

I can't wait to see a game that incorporates this.

Comment

Thats cool, it acually does look 3d

Comment

This guy just figured out what people have been doing for years already with TrackIR.
          "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
          He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

think of the possibilities, mount some IR leds to this (your basic nobody-buys-these-cause-they-give-you-a-headache tv glasses) better yet.. mount a projection tv on your head and play in an imax theatre

wow... total immersion (now that i think about it, that is the system the state fair must use for the crappy graphic 3d simulator i saw my parents play way back when i was a young'n
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
              This guy just figured out what people have been doing for years already with TrackIR.
              The difference is TrackIR is for uber geeks with an extra $150 and their silly super simulators.

The Wii remote is something many grandma's have and is pretty much a standard.

It would be nice if something like this was adopted industry wide.

BTW, this guy has all kinds of tricks for the Wii remote.
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                The difference is TrackIR is for uber geeks with an extra $150 and their silly super simulators.

The Wii remote is something many grandma's have and is pretty much a standard.

It would be nice if something like this was adopted industry wide.

BTW, this guy has all kinds of tricks for the Wii remote.
                Only somebody that has never used TrackIR would say that. :p

It is interesting technology but it doesn't have to be a Wii remote. It could be done with TrackIR or any other device with IR tracking. I don't think it'll happen with the Wii remote though. The Wii remote was designed for something else and getting it to work is a hacky process that an uber geek would do. ;)

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                  Only somebody that has never used TrackIR would say that. :p

It is interesting technology but it doesn't have to be a Wii remote. It could be done with TrackIR or any other device with IR tracking. I don't think it'll happen with the Wii remote though. The Wii remote was designed for something else and getting it to work is a hacky process that an uber geek would do. ;)
                  I have used TrackIR and I want one but I am not going to spend that kind of money. Now if it got down to 30-40 dollars and was rather simple and was much more sturdy and had greater use in other games/applications.

Waite, that is the Wii remote!!!!!

I am not saying the Wii remote is a breakthrough technology. I am saying that the Wii remote is so well engineered that it makes things possible that TrackIR can only dream about. Because the Wii remote was designed to be a general input device. The TrackIR was design for specific types of applications which limits it use.

But actually my post was show that TrackIR capability can be achieved with relativly cheap and reliable hardware. And I also wonder if the Wii remote Could be used instead of the TrackIR. What would it take? From what little I have read, not much.

Comment

What would it take? It takes someone to write the software to take advantage of the Wii remote technology. It's so funny that we all forget software takes a lot of effort to write. It's not like TrackIR costs $150 because of the hardware alone.

This guy whipped up a cool demo and hacked together some things to make something like TrackIR. However, he didn't actually make a software platform that allows game developers to build a game. If it were that easy, I'm sure he would have done it already. ;)

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                      What would it take? It takes someone to write the software to take advantage of the Wii remote technology. It's so funny that we all forget software takes a lot of effort to write. It's not like TrackIR costs $150 because of the hardware alone.

This guy whipped up a cool demo and hacked together some things to make something like TrackIR. However, he didn't actually make a software platform that allows game developers to build a game. If it were that easy, I'm sure he would have done it already. ;)

There are already multiple libraries that can take advantage of the Wii input.

Here is one in .Net.

http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/arc...4/1879033.aspx

The Wii remote is just a Bluetooth device that gets registered as HID device. Using that in any game shouldn't be a problem. So writing the software shouldn't be that difficult. Because there are libraries out there that already do most the grunt work integrating it into games should not be that difficult. (And they all take advantage of a Windows API that does the real work.)

The problems that I have seen are that the Microsoft default stacks for bluetooth suck. But there are replacements bluetooth stacks for both Vista and XP.

I think the TrackIR costs so much because it was developed by a smaller company and they simply don't sell that many of them. They lack volume so make up for it in margin. I really doubt it is due to software development.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
                        http://www.mobileinfo.com/Bluetooth/FAQ.htm
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

So wait a minute... I was under the impression that TrackIR only rotates with no depth change ?? Am I mistaken ? Im almost completely oblivious when it comes to trackIR but Ive seen it attached to Dys' head in that vid he made.. but this looks WAY different with the fact that you can move forward and back and not just rotate left and right ...
                          Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Gogeta View Post
                            So wait a minute... I was under the impression that TrackIR only rotates with no depth change ?? Am I mistaken ? Im almost completely oblivious when it comes to trackIR but Ive seen it attached to Dys' head in that vid he made.. but this looks WAY different with the fact that you can move forward and back and not just rotate left and right ...
                            Yea, I don't know the difference all that well either. I used a TrackIR for about 20 minutes. I don't remember the ability to move back and forth. But it could have just been the game I was playing, a Flight simulator. That ability doesn't make much sense in that kind of app.

But I could see a "lean forward zooms in" for FPS type games. Wouldn't work that well for actual moving unless the space was extremal limited.

Comment

I've heard that one of the linux 3D desktop development groups (I forget the name and my google foo is not operating) is actively working to implement into their desktop.
                              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X