No announcement yet.

BluRay players.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BluRay players.

I was just listening to a pod cast and they made a comment about the cheaper BluRay players. They warned against buying them.

They said some of them are not upgradeable and will not play all BluRay disks. They also said that some of them you have to burn a cd after downloading it to your computer then insert it into the BluRay player to upgrade it. This was because some of the cheaper ones do not have Ethernet connectivity so they cannot download updates.

Is this true? And I assume that if you don't have an Ethernet connection close to your TV you are going to have to do the whole download-burn-install thing?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: BluRay players.

I used to have one of the first Philips DivX/DVD players and upgrading firmware using the cd burning method was really really easy. That way I could watch more recent DivX videos with newer codecs. So if you have any computer know-how, that method is no biggie. I'd say it's worth the extra savings if it makes a difference in price.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: BluRay players.

what happened to get-it-right-the-first-time. i AM a supporter for blu-ray the day it came out, dont get me wrong.. but whats with all these patches needed to watch the new blurays... my very first dvd player (sony.. first or so model) can still play the newest dvd(i dont buy dvds anymore so...) granted it is making it run better, but still.

i watch all my Blu Rays on my ps3 (80gig version) btw