Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD LE-1640 single core budget build.

Ah the smell of new hardware!

I put together a system around my BFG 8800gtx OC vid card. Prices are from new egg. I have about $100 in mail in rebates. The core of the system is a budget rig to house my vid card.

The mobo, cpu, mem and harddrive cost about 250 total. If you are looking to upgrade your core system then you can really get a solid budget rig on the cheap.

Here are the details:

Broadway Com Corp Okia-black-650 ATX 650W Power Supply - 54.99

Has 8 pin mobo connector, 2 6 pin gpu power connectors, and all the juice I need to keep things running right.

1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $69.99

Has a sinlge platter and some cool tech advantages.

1 AMD LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor Model ADH1640DHBOX - Retail $59.99
    This cpu overclocks better than a black edition for a fraction of the cost. Very low wattage results in low heat which makes it a great overclocker. I have it at 3.2 on air and am still sitting at 25C temps. I know I can push it further on the stock air. This is a single core, which is fine since I manage my applications like I have still have a 286 cpu with a math coprocessor. I rarely multitask, and when I do, speed is not important. For gaming, a single core will do great for the next year or two.

1 BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $87.99

Tons of options for overclocking and stable as well with solid capacitors etc. The mobo layout is kind of a nuisance, but some twist ties helped rout some awkward cables and things are good.

2 mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996576 - Retail $57.99 + $57.99 (4 gigs total)

Great memory for the price. Operates on 4 4 4 11 @ 2.1 volts. Handles over clocking very well which gives me more room to OC the cpu.

1 Westinghouse LCM-22w2 Black-Silver 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with multiple A/V inputs - Retail $259.99
    Great monitor for the price. No dead pixels and great response in games. No ghosting at all. And having 22” in front of your face is just nuts when gaming. The major reason for getting this and not some other monitor was the av inputs. The native res of 1680 by 1050 just looks great no matter what I am doing. The viewing angles are not great due to some slightly older tech.

I will post some picks, benchmarks and other thoughts in a few days. I am letting the arctic silver thermal paste cure on the CPU before I see how far I can stably overclock it.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Re: AMD LE-1640 single core budget build.

Interesting, but you really do get what you pay for. I have heard bad things constantly in help forums about Biostar, and we have talked numerous times in this forum about spending a bit extra and getting a good PSU.
    You could have gotten a really good 500watt Antec or something for the same price after rebates, cause there is no way in hell you needed a 650watt.
    Anyway, my 2 cents.
    Hope you get a lot of gg's out of it though.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

nice

I personaly think its worth getting more power and 650w is good

You will be able to play Frontlines on max everything !

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        Interesting, but you really do get what you pay for. I have heard bad things constantly in help forums about Biostar, and we have talked numerous times in this forum about spending a bit extra and getting a good PSU.
        You could have gotten a really good 500watt Antec or something for the same price after rebates, cause there is no way in hell you needed a 650watt.
        Anyway, my 2 cents.
        Hope you get a lot of gg's out of it though.
        I think I did get what I paid for. I sacrificed performance in almost every area so I could solid budget build to put my card in. I did not go bargain basement though. this is not some jetway 40 dollar via mobo. I knew the parts I got would work with the mobo I ordered. It was a calculated move to save 40-50 bucks on what I would normally spend for a mobo, cpu, memory, and hard drive. Mission acomplished. There was enough left over to build my daughter a sweet pink computer for her birthday. :)

The psu was a good choice for me. There were very few with the 8 pin cpu connector that I needed. I looked at every single 500-600 watt psu under 110 and could not find one that had an 8 pin connector which my mobo needs.

The point of this build really was to save every cent I could and still get fun tweakable performance. I knew the mobo was a risk because of the brand name, but I have read great reports of how overclocker freindly it was and decided to take the risk. If it did not overclock well, I was just going to have to settle for adequate stock speeds.

I dont really trust brand name recognition for a mobo anymore. Each mobo is hit or miss in its own right, regardless of the company. Without knowledge of the mobo, it makes sense to go with a trusted brand. I would have bought the asus if it did not have so many terrable reviews across the net.

The board I got was only one of 3 boards offered with the 570 chipset at newegg. The asus only supports memory up to 1.9 volts and has a very limted bios.

The gigabyte was tempting, but I liked the feature set of the biostar so I decided to give it a shot. I have had one biostar board in teh past that did exactly what I needed it to do for the price. I needed a sub $100 mobo with the 570 chipset with the potential to be a good overclocker.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Biostar is a little better than ECS/SOYO, but it's still a touch-and-go brand like Foxconn (IMO). Sometimes you'll get a solid board. Other times, it craps out on you and takes half your components with it.

I don't know why people go with a off-brand PSU. Broadcom (according to the unofficial PSU list) is basically junk along there with Apevia. For the price, you could have gone with a nice FSP/Sparkle or even a Thermaltake Purepower.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            For the price, you could have gone with a nice FSP/Sparkle or even a Thermaltake Purepower.
            not one with the 8 pin connector I needed. I shopped around. brand name stuff was too much money. I went cheap and I am super happy. It overclocks wonderfully and has been stable burning in all day. every cent in this build mattered. I had a definite budget and needs that were all wonderfully met. the voltages are all very accurate.

I stand by my assertion that you can not judge a mobo by its brand. :) Even foxconn has had some great boards.

that psu list is nice for people that can afford to drop 125+ on a psu. For anyone on a budget, it is useless.

Comment

You could have gotten a 4 pin molex to 8 pin adapter for ~$3. Off-brand PSUs aren't known to have quality components and sometimes don't even meet the specifications of whatever standard they claim the PSU is rated for.

Here's are a few PSUs that I would throw my money at:
              ($45) http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817104953
              ($70, $60 after MIR) http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817104037
              ($80), $70 after MIR) http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817139003
              ($65) http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16817153027

And...
              ($3.09, 4 pin molex to 8 pin PCI-E) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812198003

I didn't say Foxconn was crap. I just said that some of their boards are crap. Their high-end ones are great if the parts you get are compatible. ECS is much better than what they were several years ago.

That list is pretty much for most people (including gamers) who build their own rigs. Tier 3 and Tier 4 are still good PSUs. Anything off of Tier 5 isn't meant to handle high-draw rigs. They can handle perhaps mid-range rigs, but are usually recommended only for lighter load PCs (like web-surfing machines for your parents, etc.).

Hey science, if it lasts 2+ years, then perhaps the brand does make some good PSUs. Are you planning on overclocking your hardware?

On a side note:
              My next rig (as you can see in my sig) has a $125 PSU. But my current rig is running on a 4+ year old Tt PurePower 480W that cost me $50 at the time. According to that list, it's a Tier 3. So at $40 - $80 you can pretty much find a quality PSU to last you several years without spending $100+ on a "Tier 1/2" brand.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                Anything off of Tier 5 isn't meant to handle high-draw rigs. They can handle perhaps mid-range rigs, but are usually recommended only for lighter load PCs (like web-surfing machines for your parents, etc.).
                I am fully aware of the tier 5 list. it does not have models, it has brand names. Many of which make quality parts that will get the job done. I think the list is great for people that dont have to worry about getting saving money.

the whole point of a budget rig is to try to get the best bang for your buck. Every purchase on a budget box comes with a risk. The psu is the least sexy part of a computer, If I am going to splurge for quality somewhere, the PSU is the last thing I will pay more for.

you only notice the psu when things go wrong. Nothing is going wrong with this machine.

Hey science, if it lasts 2+ years, then perhaps the brand does make some good PSUs. Are you planning on overclocking your hardware?
                I am keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts. so far, I am a very happy man.

I am overclocking the crap out of it. the entire T series of mobos from biostar are all pretty solid mid to low range boards aimed at overclockers and enthusiasts on a budget.

So far all my voltages are very much in range with little variablility. I have it running safely at 225 mhz fsb right now with tight timings on my memory and only slight voltage bumps on mem. I did bump up the voltage on the cpu and nb for a test to see if I could boot with a huge overclock. I ran it for a few benchmarks and then set it back to 225. I want to wait till the thermal paste sets in before I find the comfort range.

So far the hottest the cpu has gotten is 47C.

By the way, Not one of those PSUs you listed had enough power for my card. All were more expensive than mine if you take into account the 8 dollar adapter you linked to.

650 watts of clean power Is what I got for about 55 bucks. the only question now is reliablity. Time will tell, but for now, I think I got a great deal. I looked around, the only way you get that kind of voltage at the price I want is to buy buying gear aimed at non performance rigs. It is a calculated risk. This psu needs to power an sli rig I will be building for my wife in about 7-10 months. I NEED the two seperate 6 pin connectors for the sli rig. I am not going to go out and get more 6-10 dollar adapters for a 50 dollar psu. Sure I could get adapters, but that puts the psu into a price range I could not afford.

I know my power requirements were not enough with my old 500 ultra psu, you could hear the fans slow down when I started games. I am using the same vid card and pretty simmilar components to my last rig.

The 8800GTX I have says its minimum power requirment is 475 wats. with a bunch of fans, a few dvd roms, usb crap etc, I knew I needed something that could put out at least 550 solid power.

I dont mind being risky to save a few bucks. I am still quite pleased with my purchase. I looked closely at hundreds of psus, the one I bought really was the only choice that had the features I wanted at the price I needed it to be.

Comment

I missed the Scrim because of my Biostar motherboard. Never ever again.
                  Back to Asus. Hope you got lucky with yours.

Edit: I actually have this motherboard in my office computer and had no problems so far.
                  At home I used the TF560+ what was giving me all kinds of headaches.

Comment

for the curious. This purchase was part of a 3 way mobo swap that was made more out of necessity than desire. My daughter needs her own computer. So I took the opportunity to move our motherboards and parts around.

One of the 3 boards involved were an asus a7n8x deluxe with a +3000 AMd 64 cpu. it is a great overclocker and has been running strong since the day I bought it. It, along with the 4 year older coolermaster psu went into a shiny new pink case for my daughter. I turned down the overclock and lowered the volcano 7 cooler fan to like 2500rpms. its a great little machine with her radeon x800pro agp. She turns 5 this month so this is her birthday present. She is loving it. she has a nice old sony 17 inch lcd monitor. It was my gaming rig about 5 years ago.

My wife gets my old amd 4000+ 64 san Diego core in an evga nforce 4 sli motherboard. She has a 7900 GT with a zalman cooler. She plays a bit of wow, tons of civ4 and random rpgs. the psu is a 500w ultra I grabbed 3 years ago or so. My wife got a very quiet antec case fIt has this funky silicon rubber band HD mount system that made her 350 gig seagate not sound so clunky. She is not overclocking it, but it ran flawlessly at 220 mhz fsb with the corsair mem.

My current system is just a minor upgrade from my old system, but it is nice to see a little improvement here and there. I shaved off about 7 seconds in superpi 1m calculation time. I am now at 29. :)

My son turns 4 this summer. He has an 17 inch g4 imac. its the one with the swivel screen. He digs it, but it is showing its age. flash games are all laggy. I will be putting together another rig next spring. Then play motherboard shuffle again.

Comment

The only time your system will draw 475W is when every component and drive in your system is running at full tilt running at full tilt. Seeing how you'd probably never have everything in your computer running at full tilt, you'd never draw 475W of power.

According to the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator, your system at 90% load, 85% CPU TDP, and 15% capacitor aging should draw about 363W of power and 24.1A off of the combined +12V rails.
                      I used these specs:
                      AMD Athlon 4000+, OC to 3.4 GHz @ 1.4V Core (since the AMD 64 LE-1640 is a re-packaged 64 Athlon)
                      2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM
                      8800GTX
                      1 SATA HDD
                      2 Optical Drives
                      3 USB Devices
                      3 120mm Case Fans

The PSUs I listed all have 2 +12V rails except for the Corsair which uses a single rail with the following ampages for combined rails:
                      FSP 400W PSU (2 rails): 34A
                      FSP 500W PSU (2 rails): 36A
                      Corsair 450W PSU (1 rail): 33A
                      Thermaltake 470W PSU (2 rails): 29A

* Using watts to determine if a PSU supplies enough power is no longer as reliable as it used to be. A better way to determine if the PSU can supply the needed power is how many amps the combined +12V rails can supply.

For sake of being on the safe side, if everything was at peak load including CPU TDP, then you'd have to go with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd PSU and drop the 4th since your system would draw 420W @ 28A on the +12V (4th one cuts it a little close).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Did a fresh install of windows xp on my old asus a7n8x deluxe with the 2700+. I put it in this great pink case for my daughter. It took me a few hours of scratching my head and moving hardware around before I remembered I had to set the windows hardware abstraction (HAL) manually via the f5 key during setup because windows XP does not recognize the acpi of the asus mobo. Using some tweaked drivers got rid of the nforce 2 problems I had with the ethernet controller going wonky sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by sc1ence View Post
                          Did a fresh install of windows xp on my old asus a7n8x deluxe with the 2700+. I put it in this great pink case for my daughter. It took me a few hours of scratching my head and moving hardware around before I remembered I had to set the windows hardware abstraction (HAL) manually via the f5 key during setup because windows XP does not recognize the acpi of the asus mobo. Using some tweaked drivers got rid of the nforce 2 problems I had with the ethernet controller going wonky sometimes.
                          Um. This was for your daughter? That would explain the "budget" surrounding hardware.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The goal was to get my daughter a computer for her 5th birthday to play some basic games and learning tools.

Whenever anyone gets an new computer part in my house, it is me. Its a simple rule that must be obeyed. I refuse to buy anything that is worse than what I already have. :)

So the goal here really was to get something that was just a little better than what I had and hand down the rest while looking to future proof myself as best as I can. Normally when I upgrade I anticipate upgrading again in about 2 years. This time, I anticipate swapping in a much faster cpu and perhaps another 8800GTX in about a year.

My daughters system is my old gaming rig from about 2003- dusted off and slapped into a shiny new pink case.

17 inch sony lcd 1280x1024 @ 60 hz (8 ms response, nice color and good viewing angles)
                            amd xp 2700+ (tbird core) with a thermalake volcano cpu cooler. The speed of the cooler is controlled by a stand alone temp sensor mounted between the cpu and the cooler. It is usually very quiet, but if you turn the manual dial so that the fan spins at 5000 rps, it sounds like a plane is taking off. it was great for overclocking the cpu way back in the day...
                            Asus a7n8x deluxe mobo (has firewire, sata 150, tons of usb ports, 2 ethernet, udma 133, and good realtek onboard sound.
                            radeon x800 pro
                            1 gig of corsair xmms ram.
                            80 gig Maxtor 100 ultra ide hard drive
                            lite-on dvd recorder/cd drive.
                            390 watt coolermaster psu (running strong since 2003)
                            these parts went into a pink raidmax case.

My wife got a my old machine that was built sometime around 2006:
                            amd +4000 San Deigo core
                            evga 133-K8-NF41-AX Mobo (nforce 4 chipset, sli at 8x, pcie single slot at 16 X.) decent overclocker. Socket A.
                            2 gigs ddr1 corsair xmms memory
                            320 GB seagate sata 150 drive
                            9700 GT with zalman f700 copper cooler.
                            Ultra 500W psu (running strong since 2005)
                            A very quiet antec case. The case has sound dampening and these very quiet hard drive mounts. My wife loves the case.

I got the machine outlined in the first post which I put into my old case. Before I bought these parts, my wife and my daughter were sharing the old 2700+ machine...

Now they each have a computer that they are happy with, and I have a slight, upgrade which makes me happy. :)
                            the parts that I used to build my comp I plan to recycle in about a year when my son will need to move up from his imac to something a bit beefier. Then it will be mobo swapping time again.

Comment

So the pink Rosewill case above houses your daughter's computer (that is the topic of this thread)?

And your wife's computer is housed in the Antec Solo pictured above?

You list a 9700GT, is that the nV 9700GT or the older Radeon 9700GT?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X