Nvidia 9 Series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia 9 Series

Anyone Have any thoughts on the 9 series which was just released? I know the 9600gt is the only one out at the moment I believe with a 9800gtx soon to be out was just curious if anyone has purchased one as of yet.

HardCa$h

Re: Nvidia 9 Series

what are the specs of the 9600 compared to like. an 8800gt, i know it less, half the stream processors and all, but isnt the 9 series the same as the g92 process 8 series? and the 8800gt and gts-g92 an early 9 series?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Click here for a Gamespot review of the 9600.
      Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

wheres the dang release date?! research time!

---edit--

Omg now i'm mad! I was research cards to spurge on to update on my 7600, which amazingly enough was comparing descent to the 7800 and a couple cards above on frame rates. I get 30fps average max gfx settings, at 1028x768 which is cool, but i have antialiasing disabled and what not in nvidia control panel. Only thing i saw worth the upgrade was 8800 but was beyond my "I want, but dont need" budget, and here comes this card a week after I said screw it and spent the cash on some mem, cooling addons and new case. GRRRR!
        Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
        America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
        Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

Nvidia is saying that the power of the 9600GT is the biggest power jump between generations (the 8600gt, vs 9600gt) they have ever produced.
          Bad news is they are saying that the 9800GTX is pretty much just an overclocked 8800GTS with an extra connector for tri-sli. I hope that isn't the case, and we see the same jump as the 9600gt.
          And for those hoping the 8800 X2 was going to ride in and save the day, they seem to be having lots of problems with it and it runs extreamly hot. It keeps getting delayed and they still don't have a firm release date. Nvidia even told it's partners not to show the card at next weeks CIBIT show.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have only seen one review so far on the 9600GT and it seems like a solid card. Saying it is a big improvement over the 8600 though isn't saying much. The 8600 was no better then the 7600 it only had DX10 support (general statement). The 9600 beat the 8800GT and 3850 with 256mb in almost all tests however the review I read had yet to test it against 512mb versions.

However ATI just dropped the price on the 3870 which on average performed better then the 9600 so things are interesting indeed.

I'm glad the 8800 X2 is having trouble especially seeing as the 3870 X2 is actually working well in most cases. I sound like an ATi fan boy but I'm just happy to see nVidia have to actually work hard this time to become top dog. Plus the competition has proven to benefit us the consumer.

Comment

ATI 3879X2 has two cores on one card, while the 8800X2 has 2 actual cards stuck together facing each other like a big brick, and the fan tries to blow air down the middle.
              So far not working so well all reports are saying.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

8800 Ultra > GTX > GTS > GT > 9600GT > HD3870 > HD3850 > 8600 *

The 9600GT is a great card for resolutions around 1600x1200 or less. The 8800GT can be had for $210 shipped while the 9600GT can be had for $180 shipped. Its a tough choice right now, but once the 9800s come out (lol they are just catching up to the old radeons) and prices are rearranged it should be easier.

Seriously though, best value for the dollar I have ever seen on a video card (except for the moddable 9700SE->Pro but that is cheating).

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Bad news is they are saying that the 9800GTX is pretty much just an overclocked 8800GTS with an extra connector for tri-sli. I hope that isn't the case, and we see the same jump as the 9600gt.
                  And for those hoping the 8800 X2 was going to ride in and save the day, they seem to be having lots of problems with it and it runs extreamly hot. It keeps getting delayed and they still don't have a firm release date. Nvidia even told it's partners not to show the card at next weeks CIBIT show.
                  If you remember I was going to set up a rig Bamboo, and I guess it will be happening in the Summer. I was holding out for the 9800GTX, but if I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying that the 9800 GTX will be an overclocked 8800 GTS, when the GTS isn't as good as the 8800 GTX...so will the 8800 GTX remain the best choice (an Ultra is an overclocked, very expensive, GTX, so I'll forget that).

If this is the case, then I guess I might look at new ATI cards...

Comment

That is what i have read on a couple of tech sites reporting rumors. It won't be out till end of march or april, so there is still time to change things up.

Here is one from this morning:

"We learned that the new G92 based card will be branded as 9800GTX. From what we know it is a card similar to the 8800GT(S) but it has two SLI connectors.

Finally, there will be a card to replace the retired 8800GTX. We don’t know how many people will go out and buy three high end cards, but you never know.

Geforce 9800 GX2, a dual chip card, will work with quad SLI, while Tri SLI works with three single chip cards with two connectors. It will be fun to compare the performance of three 9800GTX cards against two 9800 GX2 cards."
                    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...5861&Itemid=34

I hope it is something much better though. I bought a 8800GTS instead of 8800GTX to get me through till something that could really handle something like Crysis/BF3 came out. If it isn't that much more powerful, then I guess I will be waiting till what ever replaces the 9800. :(

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yes, Crysis on almost all settings high + smooth running FPS, even while online is my objective...I was really hoping the 9800 GTX could deliver.

But this is what I saw...although we all know about how unreliable wikipedia can be, so...

Click on nVidia 9 Series at the top and you'll find your way to the good stuff. According to those stats, the 9800 GTX looks much better than the 8800 in almost every department...

Edit: Huh, looks like someone's erased all the stats that were there a couple days ago. Just as I posted the message I checked out the site and Question marks filled al the boxes that had been there before, filled with some pretty impressive numbers.

But I don't know if I can wait (for another generation of cards after the 9000 series), maybe I'll get that Dual SLI setup with 2 8800 GTX's and overclock them to Ultra capabilities (I'll need stupidly high cooling though, right...?) or I'll see what ATI will deliver. But one thing I'm not sure about, is that why would nVidia just make a bunch of mid/high-end cards for their 9x00 models and not make any that seriously pushes the boundaries up again? That's why I expected (and still expect to an extent) the 9800 GTX to be a very high-end beast of a GFX card.
                      Last edited by SharinganTH1422; 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM.

Comment

By looking at some of the reviews I have read on the 9600GT I am glad I have the 8800GT ATM, I am sure when the GTX comes out I will drooling for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          Nvidia is saying that the power of the 9600GT is the biggest power jump between generations (the 8600gt, vs 9600gt) they have ever produced.
                          Damn I didn't even know they had tri sli they must be a real graphics whore to do that LOL

Comment

Actually, they have Quad SLI if I remember correctly, or maybe it is Quad Crossfire. Either way, you have to be rich to play that game

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Exactly. Find a mobo that will support quad SLI/crossfire and the be prepared to cut off your right arm as well as giving up your firstborn child in order to purchase it. Besides, what use is having quad SLI without having a 16-core processor and 1TB of RAM?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X