A little somethin' I found.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little somethin' I found.

Ii found something that I think will spark some discussion in these forums.

I think most of us feel this way about PCs, but I thought it would be nice to see what the regulars on this forum thought about this.

http://uk.gamespot.com/users/weemada...pbox;subject;3
    Last edited by SharinganTH1422; 02-22-2008, 08:48 PM.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: A little somethin' I found.

"There's no point in getting Bioware to ensure that Mass Effect for PC has Windows ME support."

It's a good thing he didn't say 2000 there. I would've had no choice but to come to his house with a potato sack, a rope, and a cueball in a sock.

This article is much ado about nothing. PC games are for people who want features and functionality at a (truly moderate) cost. Consoles are for people who want an entertainment appliance that is 99% sure to deliver a known quanitity of performance.

Get the right tool for the right job.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
      "There's no point in getting Bioware to ensure that Mass Effect for PC has Windows ME support."

It's a good thing he didn't say 2000 there. I would've had no choice but to come to his house with a potato sack..
      You weren't planning to do a Borat -> Pamela Anderson style kidnap were you?

Lol, yes I think you're correct to an extent.

Although what I did agree with was the part about frequent updates, and how it is a challenge to keep up with the latest, and I agreed with this part:

And here is where the PC really falls down, upgrading. In the relentless arms race between NVIDIA and ATI, Intel and AMD and so many other groups all with their own concepts and designs, the humble gamer is left sitting by the side of the road, watching advancements rocket past at breakneck speed.

How hard was it for you to justify the purchase of your 360 or PS3? Now, imagine for a moment that you take the cost of both of those, put them together and there you have a pricepoint for a reasonable gaming PC. If you want a fairly powerful one, add in a Wii and another 360. But the issue is that in commiting to that purchase, you are commiting yourself to something which is outdated the moment you buy it. In the graphics card and CPU stakes we're seeing generational upgrades every 12 months at most and multiple iterations and updates within that single generation.

Hence, every PC owner becomes a master procrastinator. They'll always upgrade when the next iteration hits the shelves. But the problem is, that by the time that new iteration arrives, the test benchmarks for the next one have already been released. And they're better.

For those of you without experience in this brutal climb up a greased ladder with missing rungs, imagine that you are looking forward to buying the PS3. But then, just days before the launch of the PS3, Sony announces the PS3.1 and says it will be here in three months and will be better in every goddamn way than what's just about to hit shelves now. And then of course, there's the leaks about the PS4 which will be out at the start of next year and will blow away even the PS3.8GTI-SS500 which will have been released by then.

That's the PC experience. So, you say to yourself: "why spend the money now, when I can save up a bit more and get the newest thing in a few months time, after all - I'm already well behind the curve, a few more months won't hurt." But as always, those few months pass and suddenly you delay again because a new CPU or MoBo or GFX card is due later.
      Although I found his analogy...slightly over-exaggerated...

It's like being on of those poor evil legionnaires from God of War trying to climb a ladder with Kratos ahead of you. Every time you start to catch up he grabs you by the scruff of your neck and slams you face first into the wall over and over and over until he tosses you, bleeding and broken down to the bottom, where you can start your climb all over again.
      Last edited by SharinganTH1422; 02-22-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
        PC games are for people who want features and functionality at a (truly moderate) cost. Consoles are for people who want an entertainment appliance that is 99% sure to deliver a known quanitity of performance.

Get the right tool for the right job.
        I couldn't have said it better. *applauds Magna for speech* :)

Originally posted by GameSpot
        You go to the store and buy an console and you are guaranteed that any game which comes out for that console will run on it, even if the game is a total dog, at least you know that the dog will run. There are no such guarantees for a PC owner.
        Maybe for those who aren't seasoned enthusiasts. For those of us who know our computers, the parts, and what can handle what, we aren't confused and the "game" is well within our reach.

People wonder why piracy is such an enormous issue for the PC. In my humble opinion (humble, heh - this is on the Soapbox). It's because people are unwilling to drop money on a game which they have *zero* guarantee of working on their system.
        Rofl. This guy cracks me up. Look at the number of people who are also unwilling to pay $60+ dollars for a console game and go as far as modding their console system just so they can play their pirated games.

And here is where the PC really falls down, upgrading. In the relentless arms race between NVIDIA and ATI, Intel and AMD and so many other groups all with their own concepts and designs, the humble gamer is left sitting by the side of the road, watching advancements rocket past at breakneck speed.
        Someone hates the PC with gusto. PC advancements are usually rocketing past us. Hell, after I built this rig some five months later, PCI-E became mainstream (as in being built in new systems by Dell and other PC builders). When I built it PCI-E was only available on two expensive boards (ASUS and Intel respectively).

If one didn't want to deal with the advancements of a PC, then don't bother using it for gaming. Get a console (like the Wii) and use your PC for web surfing and word processing (which my parents agree whole-heartedly as the main purpose for computers).

As for that bit about DMoMM shorting out my PC and breaking circuits in my house. It's 100% true. It has done it 3 times now. After testing several other Source Engine games and mods as well as many other games and programs, I can confirm that it is indeed that game which is causing the problem.
        UPS + Surge Protector. The guy needs to get his house wiring checked. He might have more problems then he think he has.

I couldn't resist attacking the guy's article. I still love my XBOX and wish I could afford a Wii.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just a couple things I posted as comments on the blog.

Originally posted by Sharingan
          And I think consoles and PCs have their strengths, like you can't get a split screen round of 4 player S&D when your cousins are round on a PC. I could never imagine playing something like Assassin's Creed on a small PC screen. That synchronization on a small screen would not have that same effect. And a round of VF5 with your friend on a PC when you want to show them how amazing you are after practising for months with Akira...never.

However at the same time, I would never play my precious BF2142 on a console. I play with a group of mature gamers that enjoy using teamspeak and VoIP for tactical reasons, (as opposed to pre-pubescent screaming), and I don't think i could do that on a console. I mean, on your PC, that sort of gaming is a whole different, and a whole better experience. I personally couldn't choose between my PS3 and my PC.

Originally posted by Sharingan
          However, one thing I think you said I don't agree with, which is that the "arms race" between ATI & nVidia, and Intel & AMD is a bad thing, but if ATI and AMD weren't hot on nVidia and Intel's heels, the processors and graphics cards would not be as good as they are today. Also, not only does compteition drive quality up, but it drives prices down. If the CPU and GPU market was monopolised by Intel and nVidia, they would put their prices way up, and not bother making the best quality they could, because they know there is no other alternative. A monopoly like that is a type of market failure, and we should be glad that these games and systems are getting more powerful and producing better results all the time.

Comment

Even with only Nvidia in the market, they would be under pressure from the game studios who want more faster better. Plus, if you don't rotate models you won't make much money because you only sell one unit per computer. Only by issuing more better faster will people replace the old product.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              I couldn't have said it better. *applauds Magna for speech* :)

Someone hates the PC with gusto. PC advancements are usually rocketing past us. Hell, after I built this rig some five months later, PCI-E became mainstream (as in being built in new systems by Dell and other PC builders). When I built it PCI-E was only available on two expensive boards (ASUS and Intel respectively).

.[/i]

lol after i upgrade my E6600 to a Q6600 quad core,, intel announces that the hexacore,, sexacore,, lol whatever the 6 core cpu will be released in the 4 quarter of this year, lol

but i dont care still gona build my Q9450 box hopefully next month if they release the 45nm Q9000 series, the extreme series is already out but i aint paying $1000+ dollars for a cpu,, nope aint doin it :P

PS: heres the artical i read it from,,, just incase no one has seen it.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...This_Year.html
              Last edited by Cappy; 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X