dxgkrnl.sys bsod uo to 7 times in 30 min

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxgkrnl.sys bsod uo to 7 times in 30 min

my computer is crashing CSS either to desktop or mostly a BSOD, as frequent as 7 times in about 30 min last night, i have a dell i9300 with a 6800go, temps are under 65c when this happens, i have loaded the stock driver from dell, omega drivers, XtremeG drivers from guru3d forcewares from nvidia, and all do the same thing... a CTD usually happens first but thereafter it is a BSOD.... this is freaking annoying and i have no clue what to do, i have checked every tech/laptop forum i know of and nothing... help? please!!!!!!

also, i used to be able to play at 1650x1080 at med settings and get 30fps, now i am at low settings and 1024x786 on all low and fps dip to 4fps in massive firefights at times

system specs: dell inspiron 9300
    2.13ghz pentium m
    nvidia geforce go 6800
    windows vista
    2gb ram

edit: can an admin change the thread name to UP and not UO
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: dxgkrnl.sys bsod uo to 7 times in 30 min

tonk: the first thing I would try is taking off the overclock.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Clean the dust from your system innards if you can (can of compressed air). 65C sounds hot for a GPU. After I cleared the dust from every nook and cranny of my PC, my GPU temps dropped from 75C to 59C on heavy load.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

dog: i removed the pin mod, tried the old cpu, neither worked, exact same symptoms
        acreo: this is a laptop, and 65c is a standard temp for the card (i checked and 75 is still normal temp), as for dust, this thing doesnt have a spec of dust in it.

another note: i kept trying the brute force technique of drivers and i found an Xtreme G driver from guru3d that was 4 or 5 older than new, it stopped bsod, but every hour or so it will still CTD, this i can handle, better than load game.. buy weapons, start to move... bsod.. rinse repeat.. this makes me think that the temp monitor is wrong because the longer i have the computer off, the longer i can play before my ctd, temps never show above 70, and the card itself says it will stay stable up to 97 (in which it then shuts down supposidly)
        idk...
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Was the RAM a recent addition? BSODs are usually a problem with memory (or a fault PSU...which doesn't really apply with a laptop).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

im begining to think it is heat related to the gpu, yes temps are fine, but what if the temps not next to the temp probe are high, with this current driver, i have eliminated BSOD completely.. (none in 2 days compared to every 5 min for an hour) and i went all day with only 1 crash.. but i only played one hour at a crack for 4 or 5 hours total, if it IS the gpu overheating which i truly think is the problem, ill be looking for a new gpu (i have my new comp parts comming by friday for my desktop so my laptop will be retired b ack to on-the-go gaming/productivity once again) but there is 1 seller on ebay selling new 7800gtx go for 380 shipped, buy now or best offer, it is extreamly high... anyone have one for sale?
            must be for a dell xps =P im stealing my thread lol
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Tonk, since it's a dell, I'd recommend calling dell to see if they have any compatible graphics cards for your laptop. Dell is frequently quite expensive, but I sincerely doubt theyre going to try and charge you 400 bucks for a sub-top graphics card.

Comment

to get the same card from dell is about $240 plus shipping, but thats for a 6800 again, if im gonna spend money on a gfx card, im not gonna break even for performance, if it costs 250 to break even on performance, or 375 to get a very good boost, its worth 125, i do have to bios flash to an xps bios, but simple enough
                powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  Was the RAM a recent addition? BSODs are usually a problem with memory (or a fault PSU...which doesn't really apply with a laptop).
                  agreed, or even if no new ram, old ram could be faulting

nvidia tools and run, ntune it has stress tests built in, dont know if it will work on proprietary boards.

I'm confused, a laptop with a replaceable gfx card?
                  Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                  America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
                  Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

yes, link to 7800gtx here

pretty much only a select few models of laptops from dell have replacable/upgradable parts (great modders) from parts in the next model/higher up model in the series