Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new rig announcement.

Here I just finished building my newest machine:

Antec P190 case - a minimum 4 fan, 50 pound monster with sound damping and 2 PSUs.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo with the new 45nm E8400 CPU at 3GHz.
    2 GB RAM.
    500GB Seagate perpendicular recording HDD for the OS and the previous 500GB Hitachi documents HDD for photos, and a 160GB HDD for installation of XP.
    My trusty 8800GTS 640MB GPU.
    An ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler.

I installed Vista on it and it works very nice. So far only one bluescreen after I turned the IDE controllers into AHCI mode. You have to change something in the registry, install the drivers and if the planets are correctly aligned it works.

I also found a registry patch that lets you install Vista SP1 final, and it installed beautifully.

My wife now has my old Opteron 170 box and is happy about having to install all her applications again ;-)

Now if only the crane would arrive so I could get it downstairs.

Re: Another new rig announcement.

Great system man, but why on earth did you spend that much on a case with 2 PSU's. I really like that case, and talk nonstop about how good my p182 is, but all that power is completly wasted on a rig that would draw about 500-600 max.
    Don't get me wrong, like I said I like the case, but seems like mad overkill on something you joked about needing a crane to move, even though you actually do need a forklift.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I think it's time I give up trying to convince people it's a waste of their money. If people want to believe in inflated power requirements, fine by me. (Pardon my negativity. People just seem to spend the extra money on parts they don't need as if those parts are really needed or will give them magically better performance over similar rigs.)

In this case, someone thought the redundant PSU case/design that served backbone datacenters would be a "cool" idea for gaming rigs.

Otherwise, your system looks great. Another high-end rig where this forum section has seem quite of few high-end rigs of late.

Just don't move that case around...your system weighs in at probably around 70-80 pounds with everything in there and that Arctic Tower Cooler. (The P180 is 35 pounds empty...so the P190 with parts is gotta be very heavy.)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ya my p180 is empty until my parts come but it is a heavy little monster, i looked into the p190, i wish i would come with a psu-free version instead of the -1200 (the wattage)
        great build, post some benchmarks!
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

1200W is certainly overkill. I think it will probably use 350W normally - once I measure it with the kill-a-watt. I got it because it was "on sale" for $300, and it is quiet and seems to be high quality.
          CPU temps stay under 50C under load.
          What are the interesting benchmarks? PCMark?

Comment

1200W...I could use one of those to power my house.

Comment

You should probably disconnect one of the PSUs. Doing so will save some energy so you don't pop your eyes out looking at the next power bill (exaggeration :p).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

well, dont psu's only consume what is needed? if you have a 1200watt psu, its not using 1200 constantly right? it only consumes what the computer calls for?
                powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

That somewhat depends on the quality of the PSU, like its efficiency.

People are really starting to pay attention to that now. A crap psu with like 65% efficiency will use more power to do the same thing as a quality PSU with 85% efficiency.

Of course that it also runs hotter and you have to keep your house AC turned up even in winter to keep from sweating in your computer room. :)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Try not put place all your computers in one room (like me). It's a great way to heat half the house, but the computer room is unbearable after about 5 hours with every machine in it running.

85% efficiency just means that if your PSU draws in 400W of power, it uses 340W in powering your components and the other 60W is wasted as heat generated from the components inside the PSU. So basically, the more power hungry (or high end) your system is and the cheaper the PSU you go with, the more power it draws in and the more heat it generates as a result.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

great explaination acreo! makes alot of sense, so if a psu (name brand.. not cheapy) is rated at 1000watt, is that how much it draws, or how much it produces, does it produce 850watt and draw 1000, (assuming it is 85% efficient) or does it draw 1150(yes my brain math is horrible) and produce 1000