Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 GBs RAM on the Foxconn P35A ATX Motherboard and XP SP2

Just need a little help.

I think some may have heard of certain mobo's, when being used with 32-bit OS's like the Windows XP SP2 and inserting 4GB's of RAM, not all of it is used due to the 32 address lines = 4GB being able to be used, but some of the address lines are reserved by the OS to manage some of the internal components e.g. Video cards, PCI-e slots etc.

I was wondering if this mobo has that problem .

Thanks in advance for any help in this subject.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: 4 GBs RAM on the Foxconn P35A ATX Motherboard and XP SP2

My understanding was that all 32 bit OS did that, both Vista and XP, and it didn't matter what motherboard you had. Anyone else heard of this?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Isn't it two different issues, hardware and software? If you've got a motherboard with 32 address lines, you can't physically address more than 4 GB, so you have to punch a hole in there for the memory-mapped I/O. If you can address more than 4 GB physically, you can put the hole somewhere else, so the issue then becomes how much the 32-bit OS can address. I haven't looked recently at Intel memory architectures, so I'm not sure what the physical limitations are.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Seeing how you can put in 8 GBs into some of the high end Intel boards, 4 GBs isn't the limit of the physical address.

All 32-bit OSes, no matter if it's Linux distros or Windows, has a upper limit of 4 GBs of memory addressing. For one reason or another, Windows will only show about 3.2 GBs free when you have 4 GBs installed.

Either way, it's more than 90% of users need.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

to my understanding a 32 bit OS can use 4gig of memory but only see's 3.5, well my 32 bit OS seen 3.5 of the 4.

64 bit OS can see 4gig + and use 4gig +

i just switched over to Vista 64bit so ive done alittle reading but that about sums it up :)

if using onboard video yes the OS alots a % of the physical memory, but if you have a video card all 4 gigs are yours :) well thats what my OS is telling me atleast :)

as far as the MB question i dont have a clue :(

Comment

32-bit Linux can use more than 4 GB, IIRC. The issue there is addressability in user space versus kernel space. The virtual memory of one process is limited to 4 GB, and there's a kernel compile-time constant that decides how much of that is available to userland and how much to the kernel.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It only gets worse if you have video cards with lots of memory on them. For instance, if you have 2x 8800GTS 640mb, you'll only likely see something like 2800mb.

Comment

The info so far is great and helping me understand things a little better.

Well as you can see on the link, on the tech specs, it says that there is 8GBs maximum for the board, so I think the board can handle 4 GBs, but I just wonder, can the OS? And will the board/OS use all of the 4GBs?

Yo Cappy, I'm a little confused, when you say it "uses but only see's" 3.5GB, does that mean it says 3.5 but it's using the full 4, or that you have 4 installed but it's only using 3.5, and the reading is correct...The English language changes as it travels across the pond :D.

P.S. A little extra info on the mobo if it helps:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136370...ctype=extended

I've looked at it and tried to see if there is any sort of information that I can find on the number of address lines within the mobo (I don't actually even know what address lines are), but once again my lack of knowledge in computers is startling, and I can't make sense of any of it. Could anyone help out here?

P.P.S. I got the original information on the subject here, which is simple enough for a n00b like me to understand, so you guys should get it easily.

http://4help.alienware.com/cgi-bin/a...p?p_faqid=1289

Comment

He is right in pointing out the handle 4 but sees 3.5gigs.
                  If you have Vista 32bit or XP 32bit, when you open up system properties it is going to tell you that the computer has only 3.0 to 3.5 gigs installed, even if you actually put in 4 gigs. The amount it will say depends like the guy above said on how much other hardware you have running.

If you want to run the full 4 gigs, you will have to go with either Vista 64 or XP 64. There have been a lot of threads here lately about Vista 64, so look back over the last few pages of threads.

I am on Vista 64 Home Pri. and running full 4 gigs. We are all pretty happy with Vista 64 from what everyone has said.

One thing to note is the soon to be released XP service pack 3 will fix the problem of only reporting 3.5 or so gigs, but it is only a visual fix so people don't get confused. It does not actually give you back those extra mb of memory, just fixes the reading.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I did a new CPU build 2 months ago and this same issue was on my mind. I have 4 gigs but it only shows 3.25. I was a little preoccupied about it for a while when I realized I was still not using anywhere near that even with my newest games. My CPU and game performance is excellent, and to my naked eye, I am not missing any performance. By the time it becomes a potential issue, I will have moved up to a 64 OS. I don't think about it anymore...until I see these posts because I know how you feel. :row__593:

Comment

+ 1 rep to jb4 for a very level headed comment

A bunch of us just had an arguement with a little kid over in the off topic PR.com forums because he was all pissed his new DELL computer with 4 gigs only showed 3.3 gigs.
                      He had no idea why and wanted all the gigs his daddy paid for.
                      We told him why and that right now it doesn't really matter. He said it does matter and he was going to tear DELL tech support a new one till they gave him Vista 64 upgrade.
                      We really did try to talk him out of it because it was obvious from his posts that he had no clue about computers and while Vista 64 is very easy to use, it does sometimes take a little tweaking like looking for a certain version of a program you want instead of the one on a download page with the big flashing "DOWNLOAD HERE" button.
                      Not a big deal, but if he couldn't spend a sec. to google why his memory wasn't showing up, he wasn't bright enough to spend the time getting the right programs for 64 either.

Like jb4 said. If you have 32 now, stick with it, even if it only lets you use 3.2 or so RAM.
                      Next time you go to buy an OS, or you start playing games that want to use more than 2 gigs by themselves (like Supreme Commander), then look at upgrading to Vista 64.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

How annoying...

I was just about to post something long and due to some stupid guy's idiocy it's gone and I now have to recall as much as I can....

So it seems the only way to get the full 4 Gigs you paid for is to get that Vista 64, except the guy I'm helping doesn't want to get Vista, and is determined to keep his XP, and I think I will be the same. He said he's even going to crack an XP OS instead of using the XP that will already be on his computer. He's on a heavy budget and can only afford 2 at the moment, but he said he wants to upgrade eventually, and I told him about this problem I'd heard of, although I didn't know much about it, so I thought I'd post on here and ask you clever and helpful people about it.

Also, you mentioned a 64-bit XP...do explain yourself young Sir...also, you can try and convince me that Vista isn't broken if you want :D.

On a separate note, I was just wondering if someone could point me towards a good mobo for under 150 (~ $300) with good upgradability options. I'm alright looking at other things for my new system, but mobo's are so complicated, I don't know what the hell I need and don't need. I doubt I'll ever get SLI, but PCI-e 2.0 IMHO for the future would help, as well as DDR3...just a few suggestions, but I know you guys can probably find somrthing better than me. Question - ASUS are good mobo producers right? Also, I guess I'm looking for an nVidia/Intel chipset, as my GPU and CPU will be nVidia and Intel respectively.

Thanks hugely for the help guys.

Edit: Noted jb4 and Bamboo, I was going to post this ages ago and had to move from my computer for a while, and some stupid stuff happened. I didn't read your 2 posts above this one because I didn't realise there were any new ones. Yes, what you say makes sense, and my friend says he's only really going to be playing CoD4, so I reckon 2GB is enough for him now...until he sets his sights on Crysis :D.

Comment

i have used asus solely for my mobo purchases (4th asus-mobo-system will be here tomorrow) and i have had zero problems (only self inflicted...) with my asus motherboards, they have great bios and utilitys (automated overclocking, pcprobe, cool and quiet, my last 2 mobos came with nero for criminy sake)
                          i dont know how much the markup for parts in the uk is, but i would reccoment the Maximus extreme, the next step up from the striker extreme, it pushes his $300 limit by $50, and it has intel chipset instead of nvidia, but it is a very nice board, ddr3 support, intel (of course) cpu, chocked full of extras too from what i have seen ddr3 support is a premium price