I currently have:
    2 GB of ram
    1.6 Pentium Dual Core CPU
    Creative Labs XtremeGamer Fatality Pro Sound Card
    BFG GeForce 8800 GT OC GPU
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Windows Vista 32Bit
    Antec Earthwatts 500W power supply

When I was playing ArmA, I wanted to experience how it looked on high graphics. When I run it on single player it seems to get laggy now and then but when I'm playing MP I hardly have no problems. I also put the visibility on high. Can somebody tell me whats the problem. I am getting a Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4 GHZ CPU very soon and I was wondering if my current CPU can be the problem. If its a lack of memory I am willing to also upgrade my motherboard to handle more than 2 gigs. So if any PC heads can help me out it will be greatly appreciated. :)

Re: PC Problem

hrm... usually it is mp that has more resource related lag (not necessarilly in ArmA but fps games in general) how are your gpu temps? i know the 8800GT run very hot due to the single slot cooler, and you might want to pull the card out and take some canned air to it... also, 500 watts... if you upgrade to a 2.4, combining that with the 8800gt you might be pushing the threshold on your psu, antec is a great brand so you might be good there, 2gb ram is not a cause of problems imho, more always helps, but i dont see that as the problem.. as for the cpu, that is more of a problem than only 2gb ram, but 1.6 dual core isnt that much of a bottleneck, what mobo do you have?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Asus Lancaster 8

Heres a link to my PC specs just in case you need reference
      http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...623519&lang=en

This is what im getting very soon for my PC:
      Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4600
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115032

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100007

ZEROtherm Hurricane HC92 Cu 8800 UFO VGA Cooler
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835887014
      Last edited by Duncan; 02-27-2008, 08:13 PM.

Comment

There is actually a help and tech support section of the ARMA TG forums. They might be able to help some too.
        As far as MP vs SP, there are a bunch of games where it is the SP that need more resources, such as FarCry.
        I would download FRAPS so you can get a reading on your FPS, and see if it is actually going down, or just feels like it is. Also note where your are in a level, like is it in the same area everytime. And run a program that records your computer temps while you play, so when you finish you can go back and see if that is actually a problem.
        As far as hardware, yeah that CPU is really weak man. Actually, it is a good CPU, just not for resource hungry games. The ArmA box actually says it needs a 2.5 GHz processor min., but a 3.0 GHz recommended.
        And do yourself a HUGE favor and get the Intel e8400!!!
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037
        Yes. I know it is out of stock right now, and the price is listed at $239, but that is because it is the last price it was when they went out of stock. It will change when they get back in. It is how newegg does things.
        It actually lists at $179, but is in such demand right now most sites are jacking up the price. Intel can't make them fast enough. It is one of the best reviewed CPUs on tech sites in forever, which explains why 97% of buyers at newegg (out of 264 people) gave it five stars.

Edit:
        haha. was looking around for the cheapest price for ya and found it on Amazon.com for $399.
        what a rip off. they know everyone wants it and they won't mind selling it to them, for a bit of a markup

Edit #2:
        Cheapest I can find it right now is Buy.com, which is just as good as amazon, and I have bought a lot from them in the past. It is $212.
        Thing is, they have 2 listing for the same product, it says same manf. part #, but differnt item codes. You can get $10 off if you buy through googlecheckout.
        It is just like paypal, just through google. I use it everytime I order from buy.com, and just create a new gmail.com account each time so I can keep getting $10 off my orders.
        http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-core-2...206459005.html
        http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-core-2...206655923.html

I am sure in a few weeks though it will be under $200 again.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

For ArmA, multiplayer uses far less resources than singleplayer. The AI uses a ridiculous amount of the CPU resources, which is handled by the dedicated server for multiplayer.

If you want better performance for ArmA, just get the best CPU you can. Your video card is more than good enough.

Comment

i spose you are right bamboo, AI takes a huge chunk out of cpu usage... wasnt accounting for AI (one of many factors i suppose)
            powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

That, and the fact that like with farcry, the level of detail in sp is way higher than just the basics in mp. I actually just played the first level of FarCry yesterday (that is why it is on my mind), and I wanted to try it on my new computer. I had never seen the amazing level of detail before, with tons of bugs flying around, and birds everywhere.
              There are only birds flying around in MP and the level of things like textures and such isn't as high, maybe to keep the FPS up so you can kill better? :D

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037
                Yes. I know it is out of stock right now, and the price is listed at $239, but that is because it is the last price it was when they went out of stock. It will change when they get back in. It is how newegg does things.
                It actually lists at $179, but is in such demand right now most sites are jacking up the price. Intel can't make them fast enough. It is one of the best reviewed CPUs on tech sites in forever, which explains why 97% of buyers at newegg (out of 264 people) gave it five stars.
                I would but im not sure if my motherboard will support the FSb cause my current one is
                800m/t

Comment

Haha, thanks for the PM.
                  Yeah, we have talked about your motherboard before. ;)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    The ArmA box actually says it needs a 2.5 GHz processor min., but a 3.0 GHz recommended.
                    Before you go and splurge $350 on a new processor, check out Tom's Hardware to see how your current CPU compares with a single core 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4, aka Pentium 5xx series, (via CPU Charts).

According to the Compaq spec sheet, your motherboard has a maximum capacity for 2 GBs of RAM. If you want to expand to more physical RAM, you'd probably have to get another motherboard.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo, he has another post going (under a different name) where we did a lot of research and he has already upgraded all his components except the CPU.

He is running a lot better than he was before.

I tried arma out tonight, and with everything pretty much at MAX settings, I was getting 23-26 FPS, pretty much the same thing as I get in Crysis.
                      With ArmA though, I had only the 1 CPU core going at 85-100%, where as in Crysis, i had all 4 cores going at 60-70%.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Before you go and splurge $350 on a new processor, check out Tom's Hardware to see how your current CPU compares with a single core 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4, aka Pentium 5xx series, (via CPU Charts).

According to the Compaq spec sheet, your motherboard has a maximum capacity for 2 GBs of RAM. If you want to expand to more physical RAM, you'd probably have to get another motherboard.
                        I am gonna buy a new CPU and from there if I'm still having issues I will upgrade the motherboard. If I'm buying a new motherboard is there any changes I would have to make to the actual computer like reinstalling a new OS

Comment

Yes, you will have to reinstall the OS and everything else again.

Originally posted by Bamboo
                          Acreo, he has another post going (under a different name) where we did a lot of research and he has already upgraded all his components except the CPU.
                          Oh, that explains why you guys were so deep into the hardware so quickly. :)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
                            I am gonna buy a new CPU and from there if I'm still having issues I will upgrade the motherboard. If I'm buying a new motherboard is there any changes I would have to make to the actual computer like reinstalling a new OS
                            Remember all the links we looked at on x-fire. Some people said yes and some said no.
                            I am still going to go with yes, with a motherboard, you are probably going to have to.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Bamboo, don't get frustrated at those FPSs with ArmA on high. Those are actually pretty good, especially if you have the 10km viewdistance on. You'll notice that your FPSs will slow down in the north (with all the mountains and thick forests), and you will get better performance in the south (with the deserts and open plains).

I try to run almost everything at max, but viewdistance at 3km, and get 25-40, depending on where I am on the island.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X