installing an OS on a raid drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing an OS on a raid drive

i am building a new computer tomorrow, and i just realized that i have to install vista x64 on a raid drive (raid 0) and i have made 2 separate attempts with 2 separate computers to do so to no avail, im not a noob at computer hardware by no means, but when it comes to this, i am 0 for 2 now, i know that you need do get drivers from the mobo site and put them on a usb stick or cd rom or floppy, i only have 1 cd rom so i wont be able to do so during the windows install (1 drive for vista, 0 for the cd-r) and a floppy drive wont work because the file (i think its the right file) i need is over 1.44mb the mobo i will be using is an ASUS Crosshair and here is a link to the driver list (i think it is a menu to select model of mobo sry)
    my question is, how do i make that file appear so that the windows install finds a USB with the drivers and installs onto a raid?

edit, i have a few year old cd-rw (non-dvd) around here that came from my last store bought computer (compaq presario) so a cd might work
    p.p.s. i might not even have a problem assuming the windows vista disc might recognize my raid drive with the self aquired drivers, but i doubt it
    p.p.p.s. http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb...-333/raid6.htm is a walkthrough for a floppy disc, and i might have to go that route in the end =( it is also for XP, but i think it is all the same right?
    Last edited by Tonk; 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: installing an OS on a raid drive

First off, You can do this through 1 CD rom drive........

what happens is it loads windows and goes to the "Hard drive" selection screen so you can pick where to put windows. if you set up your MOTHERBOARD correctly you should see only one drive for XXX amount of space that is the RAID 0 Setup. there's an option to Load Drivers and you can just pop out the Windows DVD and pop in the drivers CD/DVD :0
    I know sounds too easy doesn't it?

From what I can see Vista does not have Addon drivers for the board you mentioned. at least not ones needed during install the 44MB is a Driver that gets installed inside the Windows operating system and is most likley a Useless program and not a Driver. ('twas for the 680i). the big thing is if you dont see One single Big drive during install. you don't have RAID 0 setup that's a BIOS config+probably a RAID manager config both are easy to do

Comment

Re: installing an OS on a raid drive

here is another question, my raid array has stuff on it ( 100gb of itunes music and movies, 10+gb of pics, 150gb of games (i dont care about the games much because those can be reinstalled) but if say.. drive 0 and drive 1 get swapped (i tried to keep track of which is which but i failed misserably at that....lol) if/when i plug the drives into the new mobo, it should still be set up yes?no?
      if not, ill boot my comp with my non-raided drive and drag everything over to that drive if i can, idk