No announcement yet.

Microsoft lowered Vista requirements to help Intel sell incompatible chipsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft lowered Vista requirements to help Intel sell incompatible chipsets

This just came out:
    Microsoft lowered Vista requirements to help Intel sell incompatible chipsets

Really bad news. I am pretty happy with Vista, but this just pisses me off, that a company would do that.
    No wonder so many people have been complaining about vista. Microsoft really just shot themselves in the foot.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Microsoft lowered Vista requirements to help Intel sell incompatible chipsets

lol, the only thing that showed up was 'microsoft lowered vista' and i assumed it would end with 'price' which i would be pissed because i just bought vista tuesday =D... how can they make vista less resource required? will it run better on better systems now?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Re: Microsoft lowered Vista requirements to help Intel sell incompatible chipsets

if it works and youre happy with it, whats the big deal?

Comment

Technically Vista is a really good OS.

But Vista is a failure* because of this and other stupid moves. Like the 4 or 5 different versions. Have one, sell it for $120 and be done with it.

*Edit, not as successful as it could have been.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

i agree, a cheaper vista will:
          • sell more copies
          • make compatibility go through the roof
          • make vista not suck in some peoples eyes
          • make everybody happy... microsoft, consumers, programmers alike

5 diff versions is a bit rediculous, but 2 would be good.. home, and business/ultimate.... or just give aero to everyone (its not that great to have a 3d (sometimes) desktop that is pretty that you pay $60 extra for) and have both 32bit and 64bit versions of each edition on each disc...

o and snail: i dont know if it works yet.. fedex is taking their sweet time today.... been starin out the window since 7am =P (no not really, but new computer parts are always something to look forward to)
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
            5 diff versions is a bit rediculous, but 2 would be good.. home, and business/ultimate.... or just give aero to everyone (its not that great to have a 3d (sometimes) desktop that is pretty that you pay $60 extra for) and have both 32bit and 64bit versions of each edition on each disc...
            I don't even think you need two boxed versions. If there needs to be a "business version" Microsoft can handle that easily with it's licensensing schemes it has set up for it's enterprise type customers.

On the other two points you are absolutly correct. If you buy any box version of Vista it should come with aero. It is idiotic that a version doesn't. I mean idiotic! And in this day and age not having both the 32bit and 64bit versions is just about as dumb.

Personally I am glad that Vista hasn't done all that well. Maybe, just maybe, it will teach Microsoft something.
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

MS has too much money to worry about something...anything, they take the loss and keep on pushing
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I wish sometimes they had made it so when you installed vista, you could select everytime you booted up if you wanted to run that session in 64 mode or 32 mode.

It would have to stop some of the programs that were one version only from running.

My dream was actually for vista to have an Game mode option, so that you could boot with just the bare minimum os extras and more resources ready for your game.
                That is not the same as Safe Mode, mind you.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                  just give aero to everyone (its not that great to have a 3d (sometimes) desktop that is pretty that you pay $60 extra for)
                  Note that "3D desktop" refers to rendering using the 3D part of the video card that gets frequently updated by hardware vendors, not the old unmaintained 2D part. The visual presentation need not have a "3D look" nor need it use transparency.

Three examples of the technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGL
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Looking_Glass
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

From what I have been reading up on Vista can be stripped down pretty easily(I have yet to try) and play games excellent then. So, I had thought about a dual boot configuration with a stripped Vista and the original. Read where one person did this and his dual core CPU dropped almost 20% while gaming. So far Crysis is the most demanding game I have ran on Vista Ult. x64 and it ran at about 60% when I took notice that is. It may have went higher.
                    From the way I am understanding it with that article. Microsoft lowered Vista's requirements for the set up to actually begin installing on the computer. If a computer did not have a certain specification on the hardware then Vista would not install onto it. If they lowered the requirements, that means more people are really going to complain about Vista not running right cause more computers will not really be qualified to run Vista good. What a shame on Microsoft, I think cause they did that more people may just throw their hands in the air and start looking at other alternatives for an operating system.

Comment

Guess what came out this morning.
                      Microsoft cuts Vista prices to urge upgrades

"In the United States, Microsoft will reduce prices for Windows Vista Ultimate, the company's top-end operating system, to $319 from $399 for the full version and cut the price for an "upgrade" version to $219 from $259 for consumers who already run Windows XP or another edition of Vista. It also cut prices for upgrade versions of Vista Home Premium, its mainstream product, to $129 from $159. The price cuts vary by country."

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/4565/
                      http://www.hothardware.com/News/Wind...%5FDowngraded/

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

the oem of vista home premium is 99 on newegg
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Kinda funny. Highlights some of the memos the original poster talked about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/bu...ss&oref=slogin

Comment

I don't get it, what makes a chipset compatible for Vista? Is vista so different that there needs to be special chipsets in order to run Vista? Or is it a BIOS issue (like it was from 2000 to XP)?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think it is a lack of power issue. The crappy Intel chipset they are talking about is pretty weak, so doen't make people trying to run vista very happy.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X