Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Very Interesting Software: PlayXPert

www.playxpert.com

Was hunting around for some web-based Teamspeak monitors when I came across this softare (widget). I can't speak for how well it works with FPSs, but once they release their next version, I should be able to tell you guys what it works with or breaks.

Their claim is that it "works with all games" and is "expandable". Perhaps some of you are users. If so, post your feedback on their product. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: A Very Interesting Software: PlayXPert

The overlay is injected at the kernel level, so it supports virtually ANY game. This means it doesn’t use the shared memory of the game, it doesn't compete for game resources, and it will not be detected as a hack tool.
    If I were coding a hack tool, that's exactly how I'd code it. They'll have to work with the game publishers (eg. Blizzard, EvenBalance) to insure this doesn't trigger their detectors.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

That's why it caught my eye. :) Unless they aren't working with the publishers...
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm the engineer who wrote the overlay system.

We don't need special exceptions for PlayXpert with GameGuardian, Warden, PunkBuster, or anti-cheat technologies like them because our system is nothing like existing hack tools. Those systems work by looking for specific behaviors by other processes running on your computer, somewhat like an antivirus scanner.

Even though a kernel approach might be exactly what you would try to do if you were interested in writing an advanced cheat tool, unless you were being funded to do this work and had significant experience with windows display drivers, chances are pretty good that you would fail.

What is more important than working with game publishers to secure exceptions for their anti-cheat technologies is that we avoid giving them any reason to target us.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeMercenary View Post
          Even though a kernel approach might be exactly what you would try to do if you were interested in writing an advanced cheat tool, unless you were being funded to do this work and had significant experience with windows display drivers, chances are pretty good that you would fail.
          Nothing like throwing down the gauntlet. ;)

Note that cheats are often written by competent people who do it for the challenge, but then turn them loose into the wild where the people who actually use them ("script kiddies") may have no programming knowledge whatsover.

What is more important than working with game publishers to secure exceptions for their anti-cheat technologies is that we avoid giving them any reason to target us.
          True. But if a cheat writer were to take this approach, it could burden legitimate apps with the need to register their innocence with the cheat detection suppliers. I recall TeamSpeak Overlay being caught as a cheat when it first came out, because it tries to hook the DirectX stack.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Does PlayXPert keep tabs on the TG community or something?

I just find it weird a PlayXPert dev/coder is responding to this thread so suddenly...

Here's something I couldn't find out: does PlayXPert support Steam games (CSS, HL2, EP1, etc.)? Does your implemented widget interfere with other DX Overlay type widgets like the "Steam Community"?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You would be suprised how quickly things we put here show up on google.
              The other day when we were helping someone with a problem, I googled the problem and one of the 1st ones that came up was the thread here at TG that had just started.

You can't hide from the google eye.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

This looks interesting. I hope to dabble with coding my own widgets in the future, but what to code hrm....

EDIT: Any idea on a date when the client will be available for download once more.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I'm confused is this supposed to take the place of TS overlay?

Comment

I'm guessing it's more of a competitor to. Or in their phrasing: "it's a superior product to similar products".
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Great! TSO doesn't work if you've got other apps running that are also doing overlays, such as FRAPS (fps counter), and xfire (chat overlay).

Comment

Yea, I don't really like TSO so I hope this is something that works out.

Comment

The system provides an API so people can add functionality. So in principle TS, FRAPS, and X-Fire could all provide plugins for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            Does PlayXPert keep tabs on the TG community or something?

I just find it weird a PlayXPert dev/coder is responding to this thread so suddenly...

i agree with acreo's view on this... lol