Do I Need a New Modem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Need a New Modem?

Okay, for the past 2 days I've been constantly getting disconnected.

I'm on a aDSL with AT&T (1.5 mbps). I manage to get connected for about 15-20 minutes then my connection gets dropped.

Things I know:
    1) My phone line is fine. I traced it myself and all the connections and such check out.
    2) My router is fine. Settings are correct and is only a few months old.
    3) My modem is a old Speedstream 5360 aDSL Ethernet modem that came with my package when I had first ordered DSL back in 1999.

Do I need to replace my modem?

If so, which brands and models do you guys recommend?

Grr...I've had to reconnect 3x to post this.
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 02-29-2008, 10:56 AM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Do I Need a New Modem?

Shouldn't AT&T give you a new modem by now?

If you really want help with this, you should go here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/

Awesome website with tons of good tools, but you will be able to have any question possible answered in their forums. They know way too much over there, and will be able to tell you all about what modem you should be using.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

AT&T's policy is that if it doesn't break within the first year of service, they don't have to replace it for free (or at least that's what I've been told by a technician).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It doesn't let me read any of the posts under AT&T Direct support. I don't have time right now. I'll check this again later.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am pretty sure if you tell them Comcast or Time Warner is offering a really awesome deal and you are tired of the hiccups you keep having, the will bend over backwards to keep you .
          You might need to register at that site to do some forum stuff. It is a good forum to be a part of so isn't a big deal to do, just as easy as TG.
          If you have a problem getting in, I might could let you use my log-on, as long as you don't start spamming them too much ;)

EDIT: i just tried what you were saying, and it looks like it is a privacy thing. That is for direct communication about your problem and not public, since I am guessing you need to post things about your account and billing. You actually have to post yourself if you have a problem. If you wanted to just read some stuff, go to the big AT&T forum section.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I just recrimped my CAT6 cable since my NT reported a miswire in my patch cable for 5 of the 8 wires.

I'm hoping that it was just a wire issue and it wasn't the modem, but I'm going to look at what 3 flashes from all 4 lights on my modem means. I just hope the modem isn't going as well.

@Bamboo...
            Oh I've tried that in the past when they had all kinds of network and phone lines going down left and right. They kept giving me the run-around. In part it might be since they know I can't get internet or phone service from anyone else but AT&T in my part of the neighborhood.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, lost my connection again and just managed to get it back. I bypassed my router to test the modem and I can connect fine.

So I went and resetup my router just to refresh it's data. Hopefully this connection doesn't drop out again.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I was having a similiar problem with an old 2wire modem from at&t. Upgraded to a better service and got a new modem and now we do not any problems at all.

Comment

Well so far so good. Connection hasn't dropped out that I know of.

I'm gonna save up for that modem I found...a Netopia aDSL modem. I still want to replace this one since it does drop my connection once in a while.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I posted for some help on DSL Reports.

I'm connected directly to my modem since through my router my connection keeps getting dropped every 20 or so minutes.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Update

Did some more testing and such. My suspicion now is that my Linksys router is unable to keep my PPPoE conection alive and has trouble reconnecting.

I did some surfing for two hours and several disconnects and reconnects (manually) while hooked up directly to my modem. Everything was smooth and I did not experience any disconnects.

I've now hooked up my small network of computers in this room to a older 4-port router to do a several hour long internet surf to see if I get a disconnect.

My hypothesis is that I won't get disconnected and that I'd have to spend another load of bills to replace this several month old Linksys.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm not really up on the tech when it come of networking. I did respond to your other survey also. But anyway, the newer modems from att allow you to connect 4 PCs directly to the modem. I was wondering if you are using a router because of better performance or the lack of connections on the modem.

Comment

It is a good idea to use a router either way, since a good one will have a hardware firewall in it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm using a router because my DSL connection is shared with 4 other PCs in the house.

Since I can't use my Linksys one (until I either get a new one or attempt to load DD-WRT onto it), I've hooked up the 4 PCs on this floor (which are wired) into a basic wired router (a Dynex) so I and the other PCs can use the internet.

In simple terms: I use a router because I'm not the only one using the internet. :)

Bamboo,
                            Whether or not I have a hardware firewall, I always install at least a basic third-party firewall on all of my machines so I don't have to worry if the network isn't behind hardware protection.

Update 2

2 posters (a d_l and a McSummation) have been very helpful in my situation. d_l has recommended that I try and replace the firmware on my Linksys before spending dough on a new router. Since my Linksys already has the latest (and last) firmware, I'm going to try and load DD-WRT onto it to see if it helps. If not, then I'll be spending what little money I have left on a new router or using this old (but until now unopened) Dynex one until it too breaks.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Let us know how the DD-WRT goes.
                              I was going to put that on some wi-fi routers at work, but never got around to it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X