AMD or Intel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or Intel

OK its coming close to the time when im about to build up my new PC. So i was wondering before i waste my money which CPU brand would be the best to get for a non over clocker. I am planning on getting crysis soon enough so I want to get a CPU that runs over 2.2 GHZ since that is the recommended specs for crysis. So please can you tell me which brand would serve me the best in the long run. Thanks

Re: AMD or Intel

Intel is superior at this point in time. AMD/ATi has been beeding out recently, and I am NOT happy with the AMD/ATi laptop I recently purchased. If it weren't for Ubuntu it'd be a doorstop to me. (No W2K support)

That said, there is no reason not to get a motherboard that supports custom timings, and no reason not to push your chip up to a decent rate. Intels are notorious for super-safe-10-year-guarantee defaults, and you can take something like a 6600 core-2-duo up to 3.3GHz without any effort or expense. (No special paste, cooling, anything.) It's not like the bad old days when people were playing with soldering irons to unlock multipliers. A gamer's brand like EVGA or MSI will give you a BIOS that will lay everything out for you, or even (try) to find a strong-but-safe overclock just by asking it to.

The key is to look into chipsets. There's a lot more drama today about chipset compatibility than processor choice issues. Do your homework on the mobos.

Comment

So you only want to know about the CPU?
      What Magna said is true. Right now Intel has the leg up on AMD (though as I am a bout to post in the CeBit thread later today, AMD is saying they have 45nm process down and will be shipping 2nd half of the year, which for them means we might see it about Christmas time.)
      Right now for Crysis, you could consider the q6600 (crysis is multithreaded), or the e8400.
      That is if you are buying in the next couple of weeks. If you are looking at something in a couple of months, that wouldn't be true.

As I just posted in another thread MicroCenter is having a crazy sale on the q6600 at $199 if you can pick it up in store.
      http://www.microcenter.com/index.html

If not, newegg has it for $256. It runs great on Crysis. I watch my CPU core useage in a 2nd monitor, and it stays at about 60%-70% for all 4 cores while I played Crysis. Since then I found out how easy and foolproof it is to overclock the new Intel's and am running at 3.0 (up from 2.4). But Crysis sucked (saying a lot considering I am part of a mod team for Crysis) and I uninstalled it so can't tell you what the CPU would be doing now. It was more than good enough for Crysis, and made my bottleneck the GPU and not CPU or RAM. Not bad for such a cheap CPU.

The e8400 is also a good deal at about $200 when you can find it not sold out.
      http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0281097
      It is stock at 3.0, but you could go much higher without worry just by changing 1 number in the bios.

Cross your fingers that AMD makes a big comeback just in time for Intel's Nehalem, which will be the next big thing out around christmas.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(CPU_architecture)
      Have a look at that and DDDDDRRRROOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL........... .

"Nehalem has the most significant new architectural changes as of today since the Pentium Pro back in 1995. Nehalem is highly scalable[4] with different components for different tasks. According to Intel it will have 1 through 8+ cores, integrated memory controllers for DDR3 SDRAM with 1 to 4 memory channels and be manufactured using the same 45 nm manufacturing process as its predecessor, Penryn. Intel announced at the Intel Developer Forum in September 2007 that some versions of Nehalem will also have an integrated graphics subsystem off-die, but in the same CPU package. Nehalem processors will also utilize the new point-to-point processor interconnect, the Intel QuickPath Interconnect, replacing the legacy front side bus.

Nehalem will be launched in both native quad core and native octo core. [3] The definition of "native" (monolithic) is the configuration with all the cores situated on a single silicon die. The quad core variant is already known to have 731 million transistors, and a currently unknown amount of L2 cache. For Nehalem processors with additional features, such as GPUs, there will be two separate dies; one with the cores, and the other one will have the additional features."

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

At some point in the next year I will build a new rig. I started as an AMD man but I think I am going to give Intel a shot. I see more flexibility and possibly more horsepower but will have to do some more finite research as I get closer. The only new addition I have is an 8800 GT but am running an AMD 4400+. It does the job but I think I can do better.

Comment

Im in the same boat upgrade wise. AMD was the bomb while I was on a tight budget but now im looking to upgrade and all the online sources say Intell has the performance lead ATM.

Im looking at a E6750 or E6600 unless I can find a E8400 on sale.

Sarcoma
          Sarcoma.

Comment

Sarcoma, I just linked to the e8400 for $200 above, which is $25 less than the e6600 on Newegg.

Also, buy.com (about the same as Amazon.com) has it for either $212 or $224
            http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearch...y=col&dclksa=1

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Intel for performance and overclocking ability.

AMD for price and par performance with some of Intel's current stock. Basically mutlicore performance without dishing out $400 on a CPU (phenoms are about ~$200 on NewEgg).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

And the game benchmarks show why that is all they can charge.
                Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on AMD, just pointing out the way it is at the moment.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

i am starting the research for "what to get" as well...my buddy wants me to build him a "gamer" and i want to upgrade an existing 3.0ghz single core "media server" in m y back room, as it is starting to flake out on me.

i started reading about "cores" and who likes what and why, and it does indeed seem that the intel is "the way to go" at least for this year as far as purchasing goes. I found very few really "into it" reviews of the phenom black that would make me want to go that way, as my main gamer is a x2 4600+ and i am quite happy with that at least, and witht he relatively minor difference in cost, it certainly does make the E6600 that much more attractive.

so lets just say that i and my budy are going that route...

what mob is "the one" now..? i usually stick with Abit and ASUS stuff, but my current gamer is a little tiny evga micro SLI board, and it is absolutely amazing, but evga quit supporting AMD it seems...

so..? what is "the" board?

for features i would say must haves are:
                  SATA RAID
                  dual gigabit LAN
                  i need S/PDIF in (don't care if it has "out" or not)
                  SLI would be great, as i think dual 9600GT's are do-able for my buddie's budget
                  i would think that 4 gig of RAM would be all either of us need
                  would be great to be able to get o/c stuff "built-in"
                  must have firewire connector/header as well

soooo what is there..? i saw the ABIT p135 pro, and it has a lot of complaints at the newegg site..the little brother is a lot cheaper and looks like it has all i would need, but is there a better alternative?

Bamboo? what board did you pick if i may ask?

anything you guys throw out htere will be considered...

thanks for any info

birdie :)

Comment

got this from another thread.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...?keyword=e8400
                    Sarcoma
                    Sarcoma.

Comment

When I was doing all my research before my build in Oct. last year, I read every article/review I could find on the p35 series of boards, including the Abit IP35 (i think that is what you mean above), the Asus, and Gigabyte. In all the reviews, the Asus kept winning in things like overclocking, number of options, etc., so I went with it. It also had a built in Wi-Fi AP, which I don't currently use, but I thought would be really nice to have for the future for both my wife's work laptop and/or and I-phone if I get around to getting one. It also has a TON of everything, like USB, firewire, SATA, good sound, etc. I am very happy with it.
                      I went with the P5K Deluxe model, but there are some other ones that are almost the exact same model for a lot cheaper
                      (for instance the ASUS P5K-E is pretty much the same thing for $50 less, but it wasnt' out at the time.)
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on=p5k&x=0&y=0

As far a easy built in overclocking, I think all of the top boards will have that. The one from ASUS is easy, you just click the N.O.S. button and it auto overclocks. When I found out how easy it was to do in the BIOS though, just looking at a couple of guides, realized I didn't really need a magic button after all.
                      Plus I hear nothing but good stuff about Asus quality, and I found out the hard way that their RMA and C.S. is good (I had a bad BIOS flash, and the RMA was super easy and quick).
                      I did consider the Nvidia chipset boards, but I knew I wasnt' going to do SLI, and the 680i boards just seemed to have too many problems.

Which for you and others to choose right now really depends on when you are wanting to build. It will make a big difference if you are talking about this week or in early April.
                      The new 780i Nvidia stuff just came out:
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...DIA+nForce+700
                      And so far they are looking good, but that is if you are sure you want SLI, and not Crossfire or no dual cards at all. (I would just rather have 1 fast card and not deal with the hassle of SLI/Crossfire. I read article after article after forum post with people having problems or games not supporting it or the drivers being crap, etc.)
                      I actually haven't read many reviews on the new 780i boards, guess I need to catch up on them soon.
                      Here is a good thread on the 780i over and Andantech:
                      http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=2158907

Note the p35 chipset only supports 1 full PCI-E 16X, and the other one runs at 8X.
                      If you want both slots at 16X, you have to go with the X48 chipset (or the p45, mentioned below), which has come down a lot in price recently, since it has been out for a while:
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ntel+X38%2fX48

On the other hand, the CeBit show is going on right now and Intel is showing off their p45 new chipset, replacing the p35.
                      http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...6014&Itemid=37
                      Those will be out soon, which is why I said are you building this week or next month.

To do an exact search, you can go to this link, and mark everything that you want. It will spit out all the MB that match your needs.
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/PowerS...280&GASearch=3

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

thanks a ton brutha man! I can wait for myself, but my buddy has his tax return burnin a hole in his pocket! hahahah

Comment

AMD, because of the sentimental reasons.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X