Weird lockup/freeze

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird lockup/freeze

I replaced the motherboard in my machine (680i) with a newer revision 680i (EVGA, for E8400 compatibility) and it's freezing a little after the login screen in windows. A small portion of the screen will go corrupt and lockup. I've replaced the graphics card and replaced the graphics driver. No luck. It's stable in safe mode.
    I'm to the point of reinstalling windows. If I do that, contemplating Vista Ultimate x64.

Any thoughts?

Re: Weird lockup/freeze

Have you looked for answers over at EVGA's forum? Even if you don't find any, I would post there, since they will have people that know the ends and outs of your motherboard better.
    http://www.evga.com/forums/
    also
    http://www.evga.com/community/

It does seem to be something drivers related since it will go in safe mode, but I have not a clue as to what.
    You already have the newest BIOS since you have a rather new CPU?

I did see this in the forums:
    nForce 680i SLI motherboard and 45nm Intel CPU support.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Post your specs and we may be able to help a bit.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I don't have a fresh install of windows...that's what I'm trying to avoid, but here's the specs:
        E8400 CPU
        680i Board (P32 Bios(latest))
        2GB Corsair XMS2 RAM
        2x 320GB Seagate 7200.10 HD not in RAID
        SB X-Fi fatality platinum
        8800GTS 640mb
        Antec 850watt PSU
        Antec 900 Case
        Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler.

Comment

I would have thought you would need to reinstall XP anyway since you did a MB swap.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

You may be having a conflict with the MB software (i.e. drivers). There are tons of drivers that are related to a motherboard and swapping them could cause wicked results, as you are seeing. Go to device manager, if you can, and see how many devices are reposting errors. The motherboard is probably one piece of hardware addition that usually does require a fresh install. My suggestion, go in through safe mode and backup any documents and do a clean install. Now for you contemplating using Vista 64, go for it!!! I have been using it for a long time and I love it. Your specs allow for smooth operations with it. But that is just my opinion...
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by rich73 View Post
              I replaced the motherboard in my machine (680i) with a newer revision 680i (EVGA, for E8400 compatibility) and it's freezing a little after the login screen in windows. A small portion of the screen will go corrupt and lockup. I've replaced the graphics card and replaced the graphics driver. No luck. It's stable in safe mode.
              I'm to the point of reinstalling windows. If I do that, contemplating Vista Ultimate x64.

Any thoughts?
              Reinstall everything including Windows from scratch. If you replace your motherboard for whatever reason (even if it is the "same" motherboard and chipset), you should reinstall from the beginning.

Just because it's the same chipset, that doesn't guarantee that your system will be stable.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

OK, so I gave it a shot with XP 64 bit.....(hey, it's free for 120 days, I figured I'd try the 64bit thing for 120 days before I bought. It's fast.....I just got my new processor, and my new monitor....jeez....

Is anyone else using XP Pro 64Bit to play games? I've loaded BF2...downloading the patches while I sleep tonight as well as the mods that I normally play......

Comment

So you are running good now? Let us know how the games go.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm trying BF2 POE2 Tonight. I'll Let you know.
                    Having Mic issues b/c I can't get the X-fi to work. Ordered a Razer Barracuda, got it for 59.99, then realized it and my motherboard may not get along.

Otherwise, except for a few hiccups, which I expected, it's great. It's very very fast, but that was to be expected too. When the evaluation expires, I will probably go with Vista 64. Don't know which version yet. Suggestions?

Comment

Home Premium is what I usually suggest.

Ultimate's extra features aren't universally supported by all motherboards. Also you can usually get better encryption (minus the chip) and such than what Ultimate gives you to "lock down" your hard disk. The "advanced" networking options isn't really used by everyone, so that extra might depend on the individual's usage of such a feature.

Lastly, Ultimate does take up more space if one decides to install all of it and there is the $60 price difference in the OEM version (versus the $100-120 difference in retail).
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I played POE2/BF2 last night and it played just fine last night. I like it. Interesting. I'm debating Ultimate for the backup issues, and would only go with the oem one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X