Phenom compatibility, TLB workaround options exposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenom compatibility, TLB workaround options exposed

I hope this article can help some people because I have heard some are having problems with Phenom:

Phenom compatibility, TLB workaround options exposed

Pretty good article, and lots of good comments from readers.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Phenom compatibility, TLB workaround options exposed

Interesting article but I don't think anyone has actually purchased a phenom from a retailer yet :row__536:

The B3 steppings are supposed to be on the way soon but I can't help but think this poor launch will make people hesitant.

Comment

Fry's has a phenom with a cheezy ECS board for $299 here locally...if the board works at least a little, that does not seem to be too bad of a deal..

i read in the user reviews section on newegg that the thing runs damn hot and will not OC worth a damn..

somehow i think i should get the E6600 with a good Abit board and roll on with it...

am headed to my rich buddies house tonite to get $$$ to go buy stuff for his new gamer rig..

his budget is $2k :)

already ordered him E6600 with that big giant cooler, 8 gigz GSKILL, 4 Rappy 150's for the RAID0 and twin 9600gt for SLI..just still trying to figure our what board to go with..prolly get a 780i board..he even got me to get him the LG DVD that plays blue-ray and hd-dvd both! hahah

this thing is gonna be a monster!

Comment

Birdie man, like I said in the other thread, why on earth do you want a e6600??????????
        It is more expensive than the e8400 and the 8400 will run circles around the 6600.

For starters, the 8400 is stock at 3.0 GHz, while the 6600 is 2.4 GHz.
        It runs cooler and with less power too.
        Even if you have to pay shipping and wait 2-3 days, the 8400 would be so much better.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

he wanted "quad core now!" so i was like..ok, it's your money..

so that is what he is gettin'...

i was kind of hoping to be able to get a phenom for myself, as i love my 4600+x2, but i am just not reading a lot of real "good" about the thing...i ravaged my old Barton 2500+ doing unspeakable things to it and it did not die untill my little one knocked the case over and poured her juice in on it while it was running...that thing was a beast for its time..i was kind of hoping for a newer better version out of AMD in the phenom...but it does not appear so at this time :(

Comment

Are you saying a q6600 or an e6600??
            The q is for quad and the e is for dual.
            I could agree with the q, but not the e.

Actually, 2 mins. after posting above I found this in the ASUS forums.
            http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Shows why I was trying to talk you out of the e6600, since the 8400 even beats the e6850 hands down.

Article goes on a lot more about it running cooler and other things too.......

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

yep..i cannot remember to type the correct thing..it is a Q6600...sorry...

Comment

he has a really nice setup now..better than mine thats for sure..but he really has all the money he wants to throw at things like toys..! hahahha

wish i was him in some ways! hahahah

Comment

Try and sell him some squirrel meat. That way you could afford better stuff. :D

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

HA..! you so funny!

i wrangled myself a couple of "after hours" gigs for some decent cash and have some studio work coming up for a couple of the local "big name" country people (well.."big" around here) that should net me enough to get a new rig going..i have a case and PS, all of the drives, and just need the really expensive parts...:)

my favorite part of working in the local studio last time was "hey boy, you know 'bout these computers?" that was classic..they were just learning to use their new Pro Tools setup and were having some very obvious and easy to fix hardware conflict issues, but it made me look like a "whiz" which of course is very sad! hahahaha

Comment

hey Bamboo..? how about a quick lesson on the memory stuff?

i am wholly ignorant on this CAS stuff and i know that is sad, but i really do not know what to look for..

for example..i am looking at an add for this Crucial ddr2 pc6400 "dual chanel" memory..

it says it has "Low CAS Latency"..

the numbers are: CL-4-4-4-12

wth does that mean? what are "good" number..?
                      what would be the most awesome fantastic numbers you can get?

sorry..i just hate not knowing, and i know i need a "For Birdie's boook" on this stuff..

Comment

I am actually not up totally on what it all means.
                        I have actually read through a couple of guides that explained exactly what the numbers mean, but it was way too deep for me to understand.
                        Bottom line is the lower the better.
                        So 4-4-4-12 would be better than (faster) 5-5-5-15.
                        Best I have seen out there have been numbers like 2-3-3-10, but that is just a made up number like one I have seen.
                        General rule is lower latency also means more $$, and the higher speed you go, the harder it is to get lower latency.
                        My Corsair 1066 speed runs at 5-5-5-15, and in the BIOS I can lower those #s, but if I do I start blue screening. But if I underclock my RAM to like 900 something, I can lower to 4-4-4-12 no problem, and haven't tried going lower.
                        And one thing about DDR3 right now is extreamly high latency. They have #s like 10-10-10-20, or some crazy #s.
                        Believe it or not I posted on 2 forums today actually asking hard core overclocking people if I should be running at 4-4-4-12 underclocked or stock, since no ones FSB can make use of 1066 speed memory anyway.
                        If you want to know about memory, this forum will give you everything you need to know:
                        http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92

There are 2 stickies there at the top that can give you a lot more you can learn.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

thanks brutha man! :) much appreciated!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X