My Dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dilemma

I have a Shuttle computer system that I built myself in the summer of '04 that has served my gaming needs very well. It has a P4 3.0 processor w/HT, 2 gigs of ram (the max the mb can support) and room for an additional hard drive if I wanted. The problem is i built this system before PCI took off and so the only PCI slots i have are standard ones. My GPU is a 6600gtoc built by BFG Tech and plays CS:S, BF2 and BF2142 well enough. My problem is I really want to upgrade and the only real option I have is the 7800 agp model but in order to put that into my system I will need to upgrade the PSU as well cause mine is only a 250w. The total cost for both of these components is going to be around $200 USD and Im wondering if it is worth the cost for the extra boost in graphics.

I plan on building myself a new system before this year is out but i would love to be able to stretch the life of my current PC for as long as possible before dropping $1500 on a completely new PC. I hate the idea of buying parts that i wont be able to use in my next system but if it means a better overall experience on my current system for the remainder of its life than im not against that either.

On a bit of a side note, does anyone have any experience with Shuttles who knows if a 7800 would even fit in the case? I havent done any detailed measurements yet so im not sure.

Re: My Dilemma

There are some pretty hard core Shuttle fan forums out there you could google for and I am sure a bunch of them could answer you about the card fitting.

As far as weather to buy or wait, man that is a hard decision. If you are sure it is only about $200, and it could tide you over till this time next year, I think it would be worth it. By March next year the new Nehalem will be out and gamers will be drooling over it, and AMD should have their act together for a good fight with Intel.
    Why is the only option the 7800? Here is a March AGP card guide you might want to check. It is the page linked and the next page (click the blue arrow at the bottom)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/...ics/page6.html

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Re: My Dilemma

ya, the ati 2600 is a good deal better than the 7900 for under $100, and the way computer tech moves, the longer you wait, the better you can get for the same price, or you can get the same stuff you woulda got now, for cheaper.. but then again, you can go through that whole analogy again next year 'if i just wait a lil longer' i have just given up on 'timing it right' and just drive it till the wheels fall off, but then again.. that got me pertneer 2 weeks w/o a desktop computer....