Vista Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Performance

Need some help from anyone who has recently upgraded to Vista, or running a dual-boot with Vista/XP.

Trying to figure out what is causing these massive performance drops I get. Is it Vista itself? nVidia's drivers? Incompatibilities with my particular video card?

Anyway, been doing some tests.

First, did a before/after test of when I installed SP1 in Audiosurf

Essentially identical. About a 20% drop from XP.

Also did a quick test in TF2 with my video card set at different clock speeds, to be sure it wasn't being set wrong in Vista.

Underclocked in XP still beats the best I can get outta Vista. A massive 48% drop in performance. Also tried closing every program and non-essential service (including Superfetch, firewall, everything that wouldn't shut down the system if I disabled it) with identical results.

I'm stumped. I've seen other benchmarks comparing Vista to XP, and they're nowhere near the massive drop I'm getting in TF2. I really love using Vista...I just love playing TF2 and other games more, so its XP until I figure this out.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ @ 2.6GHz
    2GB Corsair ValueSelect
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (Overclocked to 575/800MHz)
    Speakers (Creative SB Audigy)
    XP Professional SP3 / Vista Business SP1
    Last edited by Satertek; 03-07-2008, 12:40 AM.

Re: Vista Performance

Could you drop about $35-45 on another 2 gigs of RAM?
    And hate to say it, but that processor is really old by todays standards.
    I remember when it 1st came out and was hot stuff, and I really wanted one, but that was like 3 or so years ago.

As far as the memory, Vista for me uses more than a gig by itself, so it may be limiting you. What speed is that memory. Wait a sec, that is DDR1 memory isn't it, since it is a 3000+.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Found this benchmark that tests a system similar to mine. It shows a 6% drop at 1280x1024. I get a 50% drop at 1024x768. Something's not right with that picture, and it's not my single core processor or my DDR1 RAM.

Yea I'd like to get a dual-core processor, but it's not something I need. Every game I have runs flawlessly on XP at med-high to high settings.

Comment

Honestly, Vista uses a lot of RAM and yes a dual core would help out a lot. My single core 3000+ I had just made me think Vista was a joke but after buying a whole new computer with Vista Ultimate x64 and a nice dual core I can see the huge difference. I have 4Gb of RAM and Vista is using about 1.2Gb of RAM by itself. I believe more RAM will help and YES a dual core or quad core processor will help out a lot. I am even thinking about buying 2 or 4 more gigs just for the heck of it. I have not seen mine close to being maxed out yet but I am sure some more RAM wouldn't hurt none either and I know I have an almost new dual core but thought about getting rid of it for a Q9450 quad core when they come out.

Comment

OK I'm gonna flat out say I'm not planning any upgrades now, heh. Thanks, but don't even suggest it. (Any upgrade beyond a new 939 dual-core would constitiute an entire system upgrade, and mine still has some time left on it, I'll get a quad-core system with DDR3 RAM when this one falters, but it still runs every new release flawlessly; Vista isn't worth spending $1500 now vs. $500 in a year or two)

And upgrading is just sidestepping the problem.

Comment

Then I would just stick with XP when you are gaming, and just play with Vista.
            Problem solved with no $.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
              Then I would just stick with XP when you are gaming, and just play with Vista.
              Problem solved with no $.
              Then the problem isn't solved :p

Driving me crazy still, lol.

Comment

well, look at it this way,

vista min system requirements:
                # 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
                # 1 GB of system memory
                # 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
                # Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

* WDDM Driver
                * 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
                * Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
                * 32 bits per pixel

you are roughly 2x (number-wise) the min system requirements

the min system requirements for windows 95 was this:
                # A personal computer with a 386DX, 20MHz or higher processor, running the MS-DOS operating system version 3.2 or later, or running Microsoft Windows version 3.0 or later, or running OS/2 version 2.0 or later

Note: Do not install Windows 95 on a computer with a B1 (stepping) chip.
                # 4MB of memory (8MB recommended)

# At least 70MB of available hard disk space for installation

i tried to install win95 on my old 486 that had 66mhz... 16mb ram... and a 120mb hard drive (i think it was 120mb) ( i was like 9 at the time, but im almost positive the numbers are right)

and that ran like an absolute dog and it was roughly 3x (again: number wise) as fast as the min requirements... it would run WINDOWS fine, but there was no way in heck i would be able to play a decent game from that era (Descent rings a bell)

my point is... min system requirements are basically just for the running of the OS, with little headroom for anything else, all of your resources are probably being spent on keeping the OS/UI up and semi-snappy

how do you show FPS in audiosurf.. ill find mine (i run vista x64 with the system in my sig)