Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh pop up sucks!

hey all,

I'm getting a crap load of pop up. I have downloaded both Spybot and Adaware, and I'm still getting it.

Anybody know anything better?

Re: ugh pop up sucks!

if they are website related popups, googlebar blocks all of them!!

but if its spyware, i only know of adaware.. make sure its updated, it usually does the trick for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackel
      if they are website related popups, googlebar blocks all of them!!
      Google Bar is the way to go ! Since I installed it a couple months ago, it has blocked 1230 pop-ups. Plus you can set it to allow pop-ups from whatever sites you'd like. (TG private message notices won't come up if TG is in the block list)

Comment

I got rid of my popups by changing to a mozilla browser http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
        "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

If you have a lot of popups (not just one when you go to a news site, but a seeming INVASION of them), you can mask the problem by depending on a pop-up blocker.

Or you can treat the problem by getting rid of the adware/spyware. If you can't get it removed yourself, feel free to PM me. I've been eating and drinking spyware for several months where I work now, and if I can't help you I can sure hook you up.

DON'T email me at my posted address, as I can't check web email where I work and I won't be able to get to it.

Comment

If you are getting pop-ups without going to any sites with them, or even with IE open: then you may have a browser hijack or something else running. Check add/remove programs for anything like GAIN, Gator, Virtual Bouncer, or any other crap like that. Ditch them.

You may also want to run WinSockXPFix to repair any damaged/hijacked socket/registry settings. This program will work with windows 2000 as well as XP.

Comment

As much as I hate tool bars, I downloaded googles and so far so good.

I have to run both spybot and then adaware to clean my system, and when I launch IE and rescan, it finds more...

I honestly have no idea how I got this much spyware. I dont go to "questional" web sites or anything. So its beyond me how I got it.

Comment

There is some spyware/adware out there that will reinstall after you delete it off the harddrive (makes a backup in the registry usually).

Next time you scan, record what files are being deleted. Then reboot the system and run the scan again to see if anything pops up on those programs (obviously don't reconnect to the net). If they do, then use the net to see what those files are part of and you can usually find a forum where they explain how to remove the spyware/adware completely.

Comment

There are several ways that these can return. There is a registry key that hasn't been removed properly or there could be a Run= command in your WIN.INI or System.ini that just restarts the uglyness all over again after each reboot.

I use a combination of AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy and HijackThis. If the malicious program is being identified through running these do a Google search and see if they can be removed manually or using a third party removal tool.

I've found that manually checking the registry after running the above programs is always a safe bet to see if anything is still in the Run/Run Once tree of HKLM/HKLU.
                  I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

I use Adaware, Spybot-S&D, and Bazooka. At least with Bazooka, it will give you registry info to check for, to make sure it's cleaned out completely.

Comment

finally! After using 3 different kinds of software I finally removed all the crap from my hdd.

thanks to all who helped.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X