Computer building suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer building suggestions?

I don't want to bring my work laptop home every single night to play COD so, I ordered a dell 20" flatpanel for my old computer. It's currently (a little outdated) running an asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard with 2 gigs and a 2500+ amd chip. Great setup when I bought it. Graphics card is a GeForce 6600.

I have a good tower with good power supply, dvd burner, cd burner etc.

Any recommendations for an upgrade here? I haven't had to build a comp. for about 3 years now and so much new stuff has come out since.

My problem is that the game won't run well at all. System requirements say to have a 2800+ chip or better. I don't want to have a computer that barely runs or bogs down during heavy gameplay. I also don't want to spend $1,000 bucks either.

Is there a good mother board that takes 3 x 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM so I can still use my 2 gigs?

I'm assuming I need a motherboard, chip and graphics card.

Sorry if there is already a post somewhere about good hardware. I don't really trust the review sites out there. Some people just post what they've heard without actually using the stuff.

Thanks.

Re: Computer building suggestions?

What kind of bank do you have?

Try this thread out for size and fit.
    http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23907
    I used the previous thread and forums when building my pc.
    Of course it didn't hurt that I was reading everything and anything I could get with reviews and how-to's for about 6 months prior to building.

Comment

Great link amu! Thanks.

Comment

that's what I'm doing now. Hoping to build a new PC around August or so. Pricing stuff now, but realizing that things will be cheaper then. Plus new stuff will be out that costs about the same as the current top end stuff.

Definitely going with an Intel Quad and at least 4 gigs of ram (might have to switch to 64 bit though as the 32 bit only recognizes like 2.7 gigs max or something)

Not sure what video card as of yet. I'm sure there'll be new ones out by the time I build.

Comment

Here is my build. I like Vista64 even though you have to get used to it. Everything works fine and the only taxing game was Crysis, I didn't like it by the way. I went with an SLI board because I wasn't sure about the 24" display but it seems to be working OK on one graphic card. I may get another one when the prices drop.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
          Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
          Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
          DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
          Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
          Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
          CPU: E8400
          Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
          Hard Drive: 500G
          Case: Antec P182
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

Going to move this to the appropriate forum.
            -F-

Comment

Sorry ikonic, I thought there was a better place for this...my bad.

Comment

Here is a guide we just posted about:
                http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...tem-guide.html

Truth is, I would just completly dump what you have and move on. You are going to end up spending so much more money trying to upgrade it than you would starting over from scratch and would get WAY better performance.

For instance, 2 gigs of DDR1 ram would be a huge limiting factor and bottle neck. But you can get 2 gigs of extremely fast name brand DDR2 ram for $35-$40.
                Some thing like this:
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211066

And you say you have a good power supply, but what does that mean? What kind is it and how many watts?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That is a fantastic link. I will scrap my original thoughts and go on this. Thanks so much!!

Comment

Listen to Bamboo Size..he is "in the know" and i been askin a lot of the exact same questions..

you are definately hosed on your old machine..i got one almost identical that i was looking to do the same thing for..

am gonna go as cheap as i can, but am gonna get SLI board and 2 9600gt's, Q6600, 4gigs RAM....i already got everything else..

so i am looking at $600 easy..

i would get 8800's, but would need to get a new PSU then, and be out another $150..the 9600's will do what i want real well and not kill my current 600 watt PSU in that case..

Comment

FYI
                      Top of the line graf. card maker XFX is having a huge sale/price cut right now on just about every card. I heard this is supposed to be to get ready for the new 9800GTX and to undercut the other card makers. You can get rebates up to $50 off, and even the brand new 9600GT is on sale.
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...01669&name=XFX

Other makers might follow suit, but those are some really good deals.
                      Make sure you are reading the right $.
                      The big $ ammount is the regular price, the small one is the one after rebates, so you can get the 9600GT as cheap as $149.
                      And Bird, at those prices you could get a 8800 GT for $189, and that would last you a really long time, and then when you find it lacking in the future, get another 8800GT and new powersupply. I almost wish I had an 8800GT, cause I have seen reviews where it beats my 8800GTS 640mb in some games.
                      Your PSU could probably even handle the new 8800GTS 512mb card just fine, and they are on sale too.
                      EDIT: this sale is not just at newegg, but just about everywhere, so you may even find it cheaper, but I doubt it.
                      Last edited by Bamboo; 03-12-2008, 05:30 PM.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Actually out today is a review of the 9600GT overclocked version that newegg has on sale right now for $154
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...00GT&x=22&y=31

Here is the review
                        http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/132...ard/index.html

It gets a 93% overall rating, and uses only 232watts under full load. Not bad. It actually did slightly OK in Crysis at low rez 8)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The comparisons I have read on the 9600GT's just aren't worth it, I would go with one 8800GT rather than SLI two 9600GT's. Just for cost alone. I mean 2 would be better than one but $300 for 2 and $250 for one 8800GT. What sounds better to you as far as cost? Personally I wish I held off till the 9800GT's are released and the Q9450 quad cores(which I am under the impression both will be released maybe by the end of this month?!?!)instead of getting the E8400 and the 8800GT I have.
                          I am happy with what I have but I wish the money didn't burn a hole in my pocket so fast. I can play Crysis pretty good with the setup I have now, I never did the find out the benchmark on Crysis though(uninstalled it as soon as I beat the single player plus one other fact I will not mention). I only had slow down towards the end of the game, the last mission on the carrier and my res. at 1600x1050 with the quality on default of very high. I did turn it down to high to get a smoother performance on the last mission though. I still think that isn't bad though considering the cost and performance factor of one card.
                          I think part of that might be the video card itself overheating a little bit though. Plan on looking into an aftermarket GPU cooler, any ideas on something cheap and GOOD Bamboo? Also, do they make any cooler that will dissipate the heat out the back instead of inside the case?
                          Of course that is my opinion on the 9600GT cards. The review you posted would be better if it would have compared the 9600GT to an 8800GT as well. Like the one at tomshardware.com. http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/...t/index.htmlof course that is not with an OC'ed 9600GT though, it is stock I believe but so is the 8800GT they used. I have an OC'ed 8800GT(mine is OC'ed to 650 from EVGA) and that could be a good reason why I did so well in Crysis.

Comment

I'm with you msdz.
                            I don't want the hassle and pain of SLI, and buying a new game and then having to wait a month for it to work right when they fix the drivers.
                            I would rather have 1 good card, which means less heat more than likely too.
                            I just read a good review of a GPU cooler last week, and thought i bookmarked it, but now can't find it. Will look for the article later. Would be interested to see if any aftermark coolers have the exhust out the back option cause I haven't seen any (haven't really looked either)
                            Crysis's final battle was a slide show for me with the 8800GTS 640mb with high settings. I was annoyed when the 8800GT came out right after I got my card, but it didn't apply to the "step up" program, even though it can score better in Crysis.
                            And there has been absolutly no reports on the 9800GT or GTS yet, only the x2 and GTX, and did read somewhere it would be months later when they are released.
                            Lots of people saying they are going to skip the 9800 series all thoghter unless some amazing benchmarks start showing up.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

VGA EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR 9600GT RT - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$179.99)
                              (Shipped from City of Industry, CA)
                              MEM 1Gx2|KST DII800 KVR800D2K2/2GR - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$42.99)
                              MB GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9 - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$89.99)
                              CPU INTEL|PDC E2180 2.0G 775 1M R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$79.99)
                              HD 320G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD3200AAKS - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$74.99)

I went the cheap route! Just ordered these from newegg. I should get them on Friday and I'll let ya know how it works out. A superclocked 9600gt card, 2 gigs memory(for now), a fairly good motherboard, duo core chipset (good enough for now), and a new harddrive (bigger than my 40 gigger I currently have).

This should at least do the trick for the time being. My wife doesn't need to know I bought this....shhhhhh.

I'm kind of on a budget right now so hopefully this will still do the trick.

Thanks for all the input guys. This should still look really good on my new 20" Lcd.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X