Thermal Compound Round-Up--Lower your CPU temps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Compound Round-Up--Lower your CPU temps

I posted a link to a review on thermal compounds in a couple of threads recently, and another very good one is out today.
    So I decided to make a post about them so more people will see it, cause they are very easy to read articles and worth a look.
    I am actually thinking of taking my CPU cooler off and reapplying cause I think I used a little too much last time. May even try some different stuff, since it is so cheap to do (only about $5).
    Pretty crazy how much of a difference the thermal paste you can use.

New one I haven't posted:
    The HardwareLogic Thermal Compound Round-Up
    It is a very good review.

One I posted the other day:
    33-Way TIM Comparison

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Thermal Compound Round-Up--Lower your CPU temps

It only has to be the size of a rice grain...I use Arcitc Silver 5 on all my customers Cpu's and never had a come back frome any of them.
    sigpic
    "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

nice, thanks bamboo!

Comment

I'll close this up by saying that this was the most mind numbing and tedious testing I've ever done. Over three weeks I changed the HSF out 160+ times, wore the stamp off the top of the processor, and in the end killed the motherboard I test with.
        LOL

I will add that I recently opened up my machine (a lappy) and cleaned it out. While I had it open, I applied AS5 to the processor, memory controller hub, and GPU. When all was said and done, I got a 15C drop in GPU temp under load, and a 10C drop in CPU temp. Also, my fan doesn't run like a turbine engine anymore. While I attribute most of it to the first thorough cleaning in 2.5 years, I figure the AS5 didn't hurt. The one problem I ran into was outlined in the article: I removed a gunky thermal pad from the memory controller heatsink, not realizing how thick it was. When I put it all back together, there was a gap about as thick as your fingernail between the chip and the sink. You must understand that thermal paste is not designed to fill gaps like this; its purpose is to fill the microscopic irregularities in the mating surfaces. Ideally, you would have 100% contact between the two pieces, as aluminum or copper are much more heat conductive than thermal paste could ever hope to be. However, surface irregularities leave itsy-bitsy pockets of air between the chip and sink, and as we all know air is an excellent insulator. The thermal paste is applied in a very thin layer to fill those gaps because it conducts heat to the sink much better than air. A little goes a long way - in fact, a thick application of paste is likely to raise your temps. So I knew I couldn't just glob a bunch of compound in there and call it good. I ended up having to improvise by filing down the mounting feet of the heatsink so it sat flush on the top of the chip. Now the heatpipe that holds it down doesn't clamp quite as tight as it used to, but I still got my temp drops. Anyways, it's something to watch out for.
        Last edited by A_Grounded_Pilot; 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM.

|
        |

Comment

I still have some AS3 and AS5. It only lowered my current temps by about 3 C (after I reapplied some AS5...was using AS3).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo what cooler are you useing?
            sigpic
            "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

While on the subject, thought i would point out this post about lapping a CPU and heatsink. If you don't know what lapping is, link has a lot of pics to explain, and I considered doing it just for fun, but had no idea it could help with cooling as much as this shows it does.

Link:
              http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1188093

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by uk-warrior View Post
                Acreo what cooler are you useing?
                I'm using the stock Intel cooler. It has a solid copper core with aluminum fins around.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  While on the subject, thought i would point out this post about lapping a CPU and heatsink. If you don't know what lapping is, link has a lot of pics to explain, and I considered doing it just for fun, but had no idea it could help with cooling as much as this shows it does.

Link:
                  http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1188093
                  Three things I don't like about "lapping" the CPU:

1) After lapping your CPU, you won't know which chip and model it is. The only way to know this info is if you have it written down somewhere, kept the original box, and/or plug it into a motherboard and check using BIOS/utility.

2) It voids your processor warranty.

3) It wears down on the processor's top "shell".
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Err, UK-Warrior, were you going to ask another question or make another reply? I just remembered that I never got a response to my response that I was using the stock cooler.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by A_Grounded_Pilot View Post
                      LOL

I will add that I recently opened up my machine (a lappy) and cleaned it out. While I had it open, I applied AS5 to the processor, memory controller hub, and GPU. When all was said and done, I got a 15C drop in GPU temp under load, and a 10C drop in CPU temp. Also, my fan doesn't run like a turbine engine anymore. While I attribute most of it to the first thorough cleaning in 2.5 years, I figure the AS5 didn't hurt. The one problem I ran into was outlined in the article: I removed a gunky thermal pad from the memory controller heatsink, not realizing how thick it was. When I put it all back together, there was a gap about as thick as your fingernail between the chip and the sink. You must understand that thermal paste is not designed to fill gaps like this; its purpose is to fill the microscopic irregularities in the mating surfaces. Ideally, you would have 100% contact between the two pieces, as aluminum or copper are much more heat conductive than thermal paste could ever hope to be. However, surface irregularities leave itsy-bitsy pockets of air between the chip and sink, and as we all know air is an excellent insulator. The thermal paste is applied in a very thin layer to fill those gaps because it conducts heat to the sink much better than air. A little goes a long way - in fact, a thick application of paste is likely to raise your temps. So I knew I couldn't just glob a bunch of compound in there and call it good. I ended up having to improvise by filing down the mounting feet of the heatsink so it sat flush on the top of the chip. Now the heatpipe that holds it down doesn't clamp quite as tight as it used to, but I still got my temp drops. Anyways, it's something to watch out for.
                      I had the very same issue with a gpu cooler. I removed the "pads" on the ram modules and lost contact with the cooler. I could no longer use the cooling setup and had to go with an aftermarket one with ram sinks. Something to watch for for sure.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X