Noob question about RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question about RAM

I am on my in-law's computer and noticed that they have 2 256k sticks of ram inserted. However, the properties screen only shows 256 detected. However, CPUz detects 512 inserted. What gives?

Also, I have a computer that is dead (fried motherboard) and decided to use the memory from that computer to boost up his one to 1 gig of RAM. I compared the 2 sets and they seemed the same speed.

New sticks: 256MB, DDR, 400, CL3

I'm pretty sure the ones already inserted into te CPU are the ame, except for MABYE the CL3 thing. The motherboard has 4 slots 2 white and 2 black. The current RAM is in the 2 white slots. I put the 2 new ones in the 2 black slots, and when I hit te power button, the CPU beeps at me and doesn't turn on. I took out the new sticks and it works normally. What gives?

Re: Noob question about RAM

Actually, depending on the motherboard, he might ought to be running his 2 old sticks in slots 1 and 3. A lot of boards have coloring like that (mine does) but for it to run in dual channel, you have to run with a 1&3 and 2&4 pattern.
    What does the memory tab in CPUz say in the Channels# slot. If that motherboard and memory support dual channel, it should say dual in CPUz.
    Try swaping the sticks to the above pattern and try booting.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Huh, CPUz says they're in slot 1 & 2 right now, but in the board, it looks like 1 & 3. The white and the black are alternating, with 4 slots total.

So just to make sure, you want me to put the 2 old sticks in the first 2 slots (probably 1&3 and the 2 new ones in the 2nd 2 slots (probably 2&4).

Comment

The physical order of the slots may not be the way they number them. They may be 1/3/2/4 on the board. That's because it's easier to wire them on the board, keeping the wires short, if the pairs of a set alternate with the other set. I suspect that the best way to lay them out, if the board designer had infinite space, would be two pairs side by side. But there's not enough room on the board to set the 4 sockets in a square, so they put them all in one row interleaved.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

So try them a couple of diffent ways and see if you get them to show up Dual

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ha! I found the problem! 1 of the old ram sticks is missing one of the "gold teeth" connections. I put in the 2 new sticks and it worked like a charm! When it started up again, it detected a change in memory. Sure enough the My Computer properties showed a full 512MB ram available!

Next question, can I insert just the single good stick in and get just a little bit better performance?

Comment

I guess that motherboard supports dual-channel memory.

To me it sounds like a older board that supports two different types of RAM. In this case it might be the older SDRAM and DDR SDRAM. That might explain why the PC won't boot or POST when you insert RAM into the other slots.

EDIT: Heh. Guess my guess was wrong.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've also got some older 333 Mhz stuff lying around. Will the 400 Mhz stuff just slow down to 333 if I install that stuff in as well? or is this not a good idea in the least bit?

Comment

It will probably slow down to the lower speed.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X