New build problems (8800GT + Vista)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build problems (8800GT + Vista)

I just built a new system for a good friend of mine (though he may not be for much longer if I can't fix it :row__738:)

xFx 680i LT SLi board
    Q6600
    OCZ vista upgrade 2x2GB
    eVga 8800GT 512mb
    OCZ 600w stealthstream
    Vista x64

I built the system and updated his video card driver. I installed COD 4 and BF2 for him. Got everything up and running. Things looked good and he played away happily the night I brought it over for him.

He calls me the next day and says the computer screen went black on him and he could hear audio (COD4) and then the computer crashed or stayed frozen. It happend a few times. I go over uninstall the driver, driver clean try a new driver, things work for the night and then bam same problem. I checked the bios and the ram is running the correct voltage but everything is on auto still. I tried a few more tricks and re-installed the driver. Same thing played fine for the night then the next day no go. He gets errors about the display driver and has had a BSOD regarding nvlddmkm.sys. Apparently there is a real serious issue between the nvidia drivers and vista currently (refered to as TRD). It has been ongoing for a year almost.

I'm really frustrated with this system right now as it cost him a good chunk of change and he has not been able to use it for a 5 days now. I'm going to play around with the ram timings and voltages to see if it helps. As well going to try running one stick at a time. I have no idea if its a driver issue, bios issue a bad mobo, ram, or GPU. I am very tempted to return the 8800GT for a 3870 as they have not had the same issues with Vista. I don't however want the same problems all over again with a new card as there is going to be a 15% restocking fee

Anyone have any input on this?

Re: New build problems (8800GT + Vista)

Have you tried older drivers?
    And is heat an issue? Odd that it works and then doesn't.
    You did all the windows updates?
    And all the newest stuff from xFx for the motherboard.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I personally haven't had any problems with my 8800 GT and Vista but I am using 32-bit. Definitely try out some older drivers and double-check all connections in the system.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I am running Vista x64 Ultimate, eVGA 8800GT, the 4Gb OCZ Vista Upgrade RAM, and E8400 processor. No issues here, to me it sounds like a heat issue. I have the most up to date drivers for my card as well. All seems hunky-dory. I really do not think it is the card and if it is RMA it and get another one. I play Crysis and COD4 as well. However I did get an aftermarket cooler cause I thought it would be best, the stock cooler just didn't seem to cool things down enough, I got a cheapy aftermarket Masscool heatsink/fan and Artic Silver and temps went down quite bit.... about 15*C if I remember correctly. I gave the stock heatsink away and my buddy had to shave it, said it was not flat. So if you used the stock heatsink maybe that is the issue, not making good contact and overheating? The eVGA 8800GT gets warm as well. More cooling is my recommendation. How about the PSU? check to make sure it is putting out the power it needs to be. I was told 600W was cutting it close with what I have so I got a 750W.

Comment

A quick test for heat would be lay the computer on it's side with the case panel off and a fan of some sort blowing on high on it. Play your game on the highest setting for a long run or run something like 3dMark06 over and over, or another benchmark that heats things up.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well here's a huge thread about this issue. I must be lucky since I have never gotten that error.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86550

Comment

Im heading over today to look at the computer again. I will be attempting to up the fan speeds and play with the memory.

I think that an OCZ 600w 4x12v rails at 18amps will be fine. I believe the recommendation is 26amps for the whole system roughly.

I really wish I had not bought the 680i board but it was a killer deal bundled with a Q6600 and the ram. However the deal is not that great when you factor in headaches and down time.

I'm very tempted to go with a 3870.

Comment

Did some more testing and adjusting on this system. For the most part the crashes happen at random.

I tried running memtest but of course brought the wrong disc and couldn't :row1_4:

I upped the fan speeds with riva for 3d perfomance as the card was getting up into the high 70's.

Upped the ram voltage to 1.9v (stock 1.85v) and forced it to run un synced as this is apparently supposed to help.

He doesn't want to give up his 8800GT and is willing to wait for a driver fix as I feel that is the problem here. The crases are rather varied, sometimes you can play for hours other for minutes. Really frustrating considering all the glowing reviews I read for the 8800GT never once mentioned this year+ issue people have had.

Comment

As I stated above, I really do not believe it is the video card at all. If that was the case then myself a long with so many others would be having these same issues. IF it was the card then it might be 1-100,000 or so odds that you did get a bad one, that is not to say if you get it RMA'ed you will get another bad one but it is a slight chance I guess that could happen. If the card was registered through EVGA then it has the limited lifetime warranty which would no problems to get it RMA'ed.
                  My thoughts would lie in overheating of the CPU, maybe even a BIOS update needs to be done, or lastly is did you check the PSU to make sure it is putting out the right power required for the system?!?!
                  The only big difference between the system you built and mine is the Motherboard(I have a gigabyte), the processor(I have the E8400), and the power supply(I have an Ultra 750W), so my thoughts would be it would lie in these components. I would be checking into these more like updates or checking to see if any are bad or overheating.

Comment

I had the same exact card, chip, OS and mother board for a while. The issue I had was somewhat similar, but mine was related to memory. I had 4 gig in the machine and had issues. Took out 2 gig and everything ran fine. Yes that is crappy sounding, but certain programs cannot utilize 4 gig and tank Vista 64, specifically games. Try it with two gigs for a day and see.
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Try rolling back to the .12 Beta drivers- I think it's 174.12 you're looking for. (I'm at work and can't check.) Those have solved similiar problems. Lemme know if you can't find them.
                      OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

I believe that I tried a few drivers and settled on 174.12 but I will have to check.

I'm not sure if the problem lies with the compontents mentioned msdz but there are several huge long running threads on nvidia's forum as well as others on this very issue. I think you may be one of the lucky 1 in 10,000 to not have this issue. I was really shocked at how big and wide spread this issue is and that is why I think it may be a driver/vista issue. Again I need to do some more testing to be sure.

Bubba I will try the 2gb trick. Did you find errors with your ram or are you saying that the ram is fine but 4gb can cause issues even in vista 64?

Comment

It can cause an issue in Vista, but can be due to the motherboard.
                          You do have to manually download a hotfix from windows update when you first install the 4 gigs. If you didn't try to find that and install it. Not sure if Service Pack 1 that was released yesterday included it or not.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Why then does this not effect my computer? I have the 4Gb of RAM and OCZ RAM at that but a different motherboard. I would say it would have to be the motherboard that causes that issue if others do not have it the same problems with different motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                              Why then does this not effect my computer? I have the 4Gb of RAM and OCZ RAM at that but a different motherboard. I would say it would have to be the motherboard that causes that issue if others do not have it the same problems with different motherboards.
                              I don't know enough about the problem but basically people with all different systems, cpus, ram but are running the 8800 cards in vista are having this same problem. Some have tried everything under the sun and have tested all their components to no avail. Why you don't have it I don't know, thats the thing there are no concrete causes yet just the common thread of nvidia and vista. I would find it hard to believe that thousands of people with different components from different manufactures all have defective parts that cause the same issue and BSOD messages with the common thread of software not being a factor.

I have not installed any hotfixes yet as there seems to be a million of them and I'm not sure which is which. I will have to check for the 4gb hotfix (ironic that a 64 bit OS needs a hotfix for this though :row__684: Anyone have any links to hotifixes that would apply here?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X