Notebook upgrade question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook upgrade question

I have a Powerbook G4, and I'm in need of upgrading its hard drive (stock: 80gb IDE, 5400RPM). I'm torn between two options: 100gb or so 7200RPM drive and higher battery drain, or 250gb 5400RPM drive and more space. Price is relatively negligible.

I'm more concerned with performance, as this is an older Mac notebook that I'm trying to squeeze life out of before letting it die. Which do y'all think would be the better bet? I know the data density of the 250 might actually allow it to perform nearly as well as the 100.

Suggestions?

Everything else is already maxed out on the machine.

Re: Notebook upgrade question

personally, I would go with the faster hard drive.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

That's the kicker though, I've heard that the drives are about the same speed due to that data density or something or other on the WD 250 vs the 100gb 7200rpm drive. I dunno.

I was hoping someone here might've used them and could tell.

Comment

You could just go for a good external drive, letting you keep the internal one you have now super clean and empty, which might help with speed some.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If you're concerned with performance, go with the 7200RPM drive. Although, an external drive is a pretty good option too. It won't be a lot faster but you can at least reuse the external drive when you move to a new laptop.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

a WD hard drive uses less than .6 amps even in the 7200rpm model.

I am guessing the price is where you need to be, so here is my suggestion:

get the faster drive and put the old drive in an external enclosure for the extra space.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X