Need Microphone Help Please...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Microphone Help Please...

I don't know what all details I can really provide but heres how the story goes:

I've used a 6 year old microphone and it's done well till the last 2 years where its started to get gradually more fuzzy voiced and crackily.. Eventually it just stopped working (people can still hear me trying to talk but all they hear is static) and i've kept everything the same.. So after awhile I went out and bought a mic. The mic was either 10 or 15 dollars and when I got it home it didnt work, havent returned it yet, gonna do it this weekend.. The second mic I bought was 30 dollars and this also didnt work, (I looked this one up online and most reviews said that this didnt work with Windows and all that so not all that suprised). So then I went out and bought a 20 dollar mic and this one too doesnt work.. I'm now pretty well convinced that its just my computer.. I've tried plugging the mic into all of the possible slots where it would go into (including where old mic was) and nothing works..

Help would be much appreciated..
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Re: Need Microphone Help Please...

Going to need to give us a lot more info man.
    Like what kind of plug is it, USB or like a headphone jack.
    What sound card do you have if it is a jack.
    Did it come with any drivers? Check the companies website?
    What brands are these you are buying and are they just mics, like the ones that sit on your desk?
    Links to all the above would be a big help, like if they sell it on newegg.com

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      Going to need to give us a lot more info man.
      Like what kind of plug is it, USB or like a headphone jack.
      What sound card do you have if it is a jack.
      Did it come with any drivers? Check the companies website?
      What brands are these you are buying and are they just mics, like the ones that sit on your desk?
      Links to all the above would be a big help, like if they sell it on newegg.com
      http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Its a headphone jack type plug, the only thing it came with was itself, I've tried looking up possible ways to solve the problem and they havent worked so far although Im not sure if I was even doing them correctly, think so though. Its the desk type of mic, didnt want a headset since you cant use your speakers then (pretty sure anyways).

Sound Card is one of those, Im not all that good with computers as you can probably tell, went to system information and it said that...

Name ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
      Manufacturer ATI
      Status OK

Name Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
      Manufacturer Creative Technology, Ltd.
      Status OK
      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Like bamboo said we need more info...What Os (Operating System) are you useing, what is your Motherboard ect, is onboard Sound enabled in bios, if so disable, as you are useing a plug in card, all these things can help us with your problem.

Regards Warrior "All for one and one for all"
        sigpic
        "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

In most recent motherboards, onboard should auto-disable when you plug in a PCI sound card (same for video).

Fen, have you tried pluggin the mic into another computer to see if it works?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo, For sure you are rite with the new Boards, as he was talking about some old gear, it's worth a check, dont you think?
            sigpic
            "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Actually, I have a brand new Asus board, and when I put a X-Fi card in, looked in the BIOS a couple of days later and the onboard was still enabled. So might want to check the BIOS.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Alright I'm pretty confused but I think this is what you guys meant?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
                OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
                System Name SONATA-86
                System Manufacturer System manufacturer
                System Model System Product Name
                System Type X86-based PC
                Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2199 Mhz
                BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8V-E SE ACPI BIOS Revision 1010, 1/13/2006

And the other things you guys were talking about I have no clue about...

Comment

Originally posted by uk-warrior View Post
                  Acreo, For sure you are rite with the new Boards, as he was talking about some old gear, it's worth a check, dont you think?
                  Originally posted by Bamboo
                  Actually, I have a brand new Asus board, and when I put a X-Fi card in, looked in the BIOS a couple of days later and the onboard was still enabled. So might want to check the BIOS.
                  I guess. I've never had a problem with a sound card plugged in and onboard sound was still enabled.

Originally posted by Fenian420
                  Alright I'm pretty confused but I think this is what you guys meant?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                  Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
                  OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
                  System Name SONATA-86
                  System Manufacturer System manufacturer
                  System Model System Product Name
                  System Type X86-based PC
                  Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2199 Mhz
                  BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8V-E SE ACPI BIOS Revision 1010, 1/13/2006

And the other things you guys were talking about I have no clue about...
                  Fen, install and run this tool: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Take screenies of your computer specs and post them below.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

[media]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/lilramboguy/COMPHW.jpg[/media]

[media]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/lilramboguy/COMPAUD.jpg[/media]

Comment

Hmm, looks like you will have to disable your onboard sound. (It didn't get disabled when you plugged in your Audigy)

You'll have to enter BIOS. My suggestion is to follow the instructions in your ASUS manual. Their pretty straightforward.

Once you're in BIOS, you should see a 'Integrated Peripherals', enter that and you should see a option for your onboard sound. Highlight it and scroll up/down the options until you see disabled and then save and exit BIOS. Your system should reboot automatically from there.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

and everything else will still work fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          In most recent motherboards, onboard should auto-disable when you plug in a PCI sound card (same for video).
                          Before plug and play, when common kinds of I/O shared the same addresses, that was understandable. Now I'm not so sure that it makes sense now. For video, you could plug monitors into every card to create a monitor bank. For audio, there's no hardware reason to disable one if another is plugged in. In principle that just gives you more amplifiers, resulting in potentially more speakers. The multimedia mixer system should be able to configure what goes where (ie. the audio "plumbing").
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

You know what man, I think the easiest thing for you to do is get a USB MIC like this one
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836111601

Might be the easy way to solve your problem.

Of course, if you wanted to pay 2x as much, here it is at BestBuy.
                            http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1055388008858

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                              and everything else will still work fine?
                              That's hard to say. It should work. Doesn't mean it will. If it doesn't work, then you probably have some sort of software conflict (old drivers, etc.).

One thing to check after you've disabled your onboard audio is to see if PC Wizard still reports two audio devices. If it does, you'll need to clean out your ATI onboard sound drivers (if you haven't already).

OR

Try Bamboo's suggestion and get a USB microphone. A few members did that here and as far as I know they like it.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X