Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800gx2...

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9145/index.html

Just a Googled review I found that might start some discussion. Bear in mind that this is meant to be nVidia's new "high-end" beast.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: 9800gx2...

Yeah, I read that the other day when the article got posted, but the numbers arn't really firm since they are still beta drivers.

Waiting for the real drivers to be released and then see the reviews.

And still, at probably over $600, you could get the ATI 3870X2 and a regular 3870 and run them in crossfire for the same price and get better scores. Sure someone will do that in a review soon enough.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Even so, ATI lost it's favor with me a long time ago due to the poor drivers they ALWAYS have. The cards would be awesome if they just designed better drivers. Last card I had I could not go above 7.8 drivers. I admit the card was starting to get old but if I went above them I would not be able to play a couple of games. Also i almost had a ritual of reinstalling the drivers every 2-3 weeks cause it was like they got lost or something. ATI tech support said that for a lot of the cards this was normal. To me that is not normal and shows they already know about the poor drivers but never try to get better ones. I believe ATI would be better once they got their heads out of their rears and start getting better driver support.
      Nvidia seems to be on top of things with driver support. A few complaints and whammy, they are designing a newer driver. I would pay the extra money on a card for better drivers than have a card that isn't reaching it's full potential due to the lack of good driver support.

I still find it amazing they claim the 8800GT performs better at Oblivion than any other card so far at igh settings(must be some mistake there)?!? According to the VGA charts at tomshardware.com that is.

Comment

As I read somewhere, ATi cards are like buses. They're big, red and have bad drivers.

Comment

I have had 2 ATI cards before this 8800, and was happy with them both. Never had a driver problem.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Omega!

|
            |

Comment

NDA lifted so scores are now out

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/679/1/

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3266

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9163/index.html

Bottom line is yeah, its faster, but it costs $625-$650, and is only 10-20% faster than the 3870X2 that is $419.
              Also remember it can pull in over 350 watts under load, so I hope you got an uber PSU.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well the first article was using catalyst 8.1 when the current is 8.3! Uhm that is a bit of a screw up I think.

The Anandtech one is at a super high resolution and the results for the 3870x2 look a bit odd, at times scoring lower then a 3870? I'm not an ATI fan boy but the results there are hard to pull conclusions from. The price is rather high considering how well the 9600gt does in SLI and the 3870X2 can be triple or quad crossfired over time rather nicely. I think that the new card is great and all but I think for most users you can spend a good chunk less and still be very happy. In fact I think some people may buy this new card an never use the extra power it offers, only be able to claim they have the "best" card.

I hope ATi responds with some price cuts to help keep their sales from stalling.

Comment

They already have cut prices last week, and they are expected to cut them more soon.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Bottom line is yeah, its faster, but it costs $625-$650, and is only 10-20% faster than the 3870X2 that is $419.
                    Also remember it can pull in over 350 watts under load, so I hope you got an uber PSU.
                    An uber PSU for the 9800GX2 or the 3870X2?

Comment

Both can use over 350watts under full load.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

For sale at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...+GX2&x=23&y=37

all of them are $599.

Pretty crazy when you consider it is 2 8800GTS stuck together, and you can get a 8800GTS for as low as $229. So make your own SLI with same performance for $460.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

but then you cant have quad-SLI :P

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            For sale at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...+GX2&x=23&y=37

all of them are $599.

Pretty crazy when you consider it is 2 8800GTS stuck together, and you can get a 8800GTS for as low as $229. So make your own SLI with same performance for $460.
                            Think single card solution.

Im making a mini-gaming tower on a mATX, so this is my best solution.

Edit:
                            Ordered :) (Hope it fits)
                            Oyee

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I understand the benifits, I am just pointing out the power/price ratio is not that great.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X