WinZip question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinZip question...

I tried finding the answer in the read me and help file with no luck... but I have the full and licensed version of WinZip... but when I try to zip a file for upload, in this case a 367 MB video file, it only compresses to 365 MB's, not even worth the hassle... looked in the settings for a tighter compression with no luck... anyone know how to get a better, smaller zip file?

thx in advance.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: WinZip question...

That might mean it is already as compressed as it can get. I know when our mod team sends .pak files back and forth for new builds, it only shaves a few mb off, and we decided it isn't worth the time it takes to compress it.

We also found that RAR can work better in some cases
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR_(file_format)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

RAR might help but not much. Most video is already compressed and the type of compression you want has to be lossless.

We have to upload video and audio for training in several different formats (wmv mp3 and h.264 i think) and have tried various compressions, including RAR, with no luck. So we just load them as is.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

ya i have both rar and 7zip programs, problem is most users don't, and don't want to download and install a new program just to extract videos... oh well, thx.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

7zip I happen to like more than WinZip or RAR. Besides, it's like 600 KB in size. It takes 3 clicks and 5 seconds to install and download.

Bamboo, beat me to it: most video is already compressed.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
            ya i have both rar and 7zip programs, problem is most users don't, and don't want to download and install a new program just to extract videos... oh well, thx.
            WinZip supports extracting RAR files. Although, WinRAR supports extracting 7Zip files and WinZip doesn't. I personally prefer WinRAR since it has pretty good support for other formats. 7Zip supports a lot of formats too.

There really isn't much to do to get a lot more compression. Compress it with zip if you want to save on bandwidth but I don't like downloading videos and having to decompress them for viewing because I'm lazy. Other users might not like it because of dealing with WinZip, WinRAR, etc.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

well thats why I've always tried to keep them as a one click and watch file... and can still do that with fraps videos and all, but capturing HD video from a 360 and making just a 10 min highlight reel takes about 300 to 500 mb's... a little large to upload to a personal web site... oh well, till I figure out better video compression, guess screens will do.

thx for the feedback.
              Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

You could also try making a non-HD version. Lower the videos resolution to something like 640x480 (well, maybe higher than that) and use less compression when rendering.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

You don't need to pay for a Zip program. Download the open source one here:

http://www.info-zip.org/

I use the command line unzip all the time. I have a better feel for what it's going to do than the GUI one. But for those who like GUIs, you can grab WiZ, the GUI version of Info-Zip, from the above URL.

Oh, and if you're writing code that needs to compress, the above is available as a freely-linkable library. You just have to mention where you got the code in your documentation.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X