Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSDN XP install fails (media's good; new HD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSDN XP install fails (media's good; new HD)

This regards my older machine, and I'm at my wits end. Any help is appreciated. I haven't reseated the memory or the video card yet (that's next), but those steps solving my problem won't really help, as I'll likely just go find a bridge to jump off of if that's what this turns out to be, making the assistance of all of you good people rather moot.

My older machine (HP a530n) locks up, as it's prone to do sometimes. I power-cycle it. It won't boot. No POST. Lots of troubleshooting ends with the drive in an enclosure connected to my Vista box. The drive is trashed. I recover what files from it I can and buy a new drive for my older box. "The worst is over," I say to myself.

XP won't install on the new drive (either drive, actually -- see below) in the older box.

The install media is not the problem. When I use the same disc (the physical disc, not a mounted ISO I later burned to the disc for the other machine) to install XP into a virtual machine on my Vista box, there are never any problems. The ISO is MSDN issue.

In case it's relevant after having said the above, I've had this same behavior on about 7 disc burns.

Initially, I thought I could blame Nero, but ISO Recorder gave me the latest burn, which works fab in the virtual machine AND fails on the problem box.

I've duplicated the problem on two hard drives (one at a time, both as single) in the box I'm having problems with (just in case).

I've swapped IDE cables (just in case).

Before I figured out the old dead drive was really dead, my troubleshooting on the older machine included reseating both memory sticks, the video card, and the CMOS battery. I've touched none of those things since getting the new drive. All were seated as they originally were before I bought the new disk.

When I try to install XP, it proceeds without error to the DOS screen that's copying a ton of files to the disk. Each time, different file(s) fail to copy, and it notifies me. I hit 'retry' every time, and it proceeds without further error (this will happen on anywhere from 1 to 5ish files -- never on zero files).

The next stage of the OS install gives you a mouse (this is after the first mid-install reboot). This is the part where you're setting cultural stuff, time zones, network settings, etc. Somewhere in this section of the install (again, different attempts have different timing), I blue screen all to hell, with every failure giving me different details in the blue screen (IRQ problems, page fault problems, you name it...). From that point on, that install attempt is trash.

Apparently, I know enough about hardware these days to buy new hard drives and burn XP installs myself just so that I can fail at them several times in a row.

Maybe something on this older box has become defective and was the cause of my old disk getting trashed? Or I'm overlooking something obvious?

Or this is God's way of telling me it's time for a laptop?

Thanks for any help. I'll find the thread each evening to answer any questions anyone has.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: MSDN XP install fails (media's good; new HD)

If the XP install is failing on your new drive, I can really only think of two problems (both hardware):

1) Your memory is bad. Try different stick in your old machine that you know do not have problems.

2) The CD/DVD drive you're using is on its last legs. Again, replacement.

Failing all of that, there's the remote possibility it's the motherboard (memory controller, dimm sockets, etc.).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Always Listen to God.

Comment

Dammit. Didn't even THINK about the CD drive. Good call.

( also, the bit about listening to God is pretty good, too -- especially when it nets me a new machine )

Keep the ideas coming. I'll definitely make an attempt with the second CD drive that's in the box before I touch the memory sticks.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I can't really think of any other causes, other than remote possibilities (which would be very costly).

If the CD drive replacement and new memory doesn't work, just get yourself a new PC. I wouldn't spend more time trying to find out why the Creator decided to screw you on that machine.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I tried the other drive. Being faster, it merely saved me time in duplicating the problem.

So, I removed one stick of RAM. Clean install.

Son of a BITCH.

I put the stick back in. Same problem as before.

XP is humming now.

So, the last outstanding problem for me is finding a nice tall bridge spanning some very sharp rocks.

Many thanks for the help. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

I hate bad memory.

Comment

Its always handy to keep a memtest86 CD ready for such occasions.

Any time I run into a problem like that, I pop it in and let it run through a few tests. If the memory is bad, it will fail pretty quick.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Wow, got that problem fixed quick. I hope the old computer is new enough to use DDR2, considering the price of DDR1 these days.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Heh. I was hoping you had a bad CD drive. :p

Glad to hear it's "fixed" now. Even though you might send it on a 5 second ride to the underworld. xD
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X