The Self contained Fridge Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Self contained Fridge Computer

Well I was working on the heat numbers for gfx card I brought up my fridge computer. Actually think I got more posts about it than the gfx card numbers lol...maybe

anyway because I'm collecting info on this and ideas, heres a thread for it.

For those who didn't see the other posts heres the basic concept at this point.

We take your everyday computer, slap it in a minifridge. duct tape seal and leave running till your next mainentence. :)

Pros
    COol = uber overclock
    cool = longer life for any chip that is open to thermal damage, cpu,mem, gfx.
    cooL=Stability.
    CoOl= speed, for every degree you knock off you increase the quality of the metals in the chips trnsfer current, aka information/commands. (and if u can get it to -250 or something you get superconductor) but this is actually nominal compared to overclocking.
    Cool= not saying uber as above LOL I'm writing a nerd thread so I'm allowed :)

CONS
    Possible noise
    Possible condensation (but i think I have that figured out)
    Hooking up external devices through cables
    Wireless problems (I go lan personally)
    power consumtion of fridge

Others?

I'll post more info in the morning its late :)
    Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
    America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
    Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Re: The Self contained Fridge Computer

A fridge's compressor isn't meant to run continuously. Since your computer will output heat continuously, the compressor will run constantly. Your fridge will die quickly.

Comment

I'd give that compressor maybe a month at the most before it locks up. It would be around 300 degrees, not even the condenser fan would save it.

Comment

Why a fridge computer?

Why not nitrogen-based cooling setup instead?

I would think they both would cost about the same and involve similar dangers (minus the part where you freeze and break off whole fingers).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
          A fridge's compressor isn't meant to run continuously. Since your computer will output heat continuously, the compressor will run constantly. Your fridge will die quickly.
          Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
          I'd give that compressor maybe a month at the most before it locks up. It would be around 300 degrees, not even the condenser fan would save it.

HMMMMMM

THAT did not accur to me. Valid point. I guess it will be part of the experiment.

So how do I offset this? The cpu will be watered cooled, so that will offset the heat coming off it. But I wonder if the northbridge and gfx will be enough to heat up an entire fridge. "constantly" or will it find a happy medium. Maybe I'll have to change to mini freezer LOL

Thanks for pointing that con out, it honestly didn't cross my mind.

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          Why a fridge computer?

Why not nitrogen-based cooling setup instead?

I would think they both would cost about the same and involve similar dangers (minus the part where you freeze and break off whole fingers).
          ROFL I lack the ability to make the cooling tubes :P LOL
          Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
          Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

Unless you're running your processor 100% 24/7, your pc will only be outputting significant heat while you are gaming, even then it's only 100w or something. I don't think the water cooling will add anything, it's still the same heat you need to get rid of.

The compressor will cycle unless your fridge gets very warm, turn the cooling up (more)before you game, then lower it a bit (less) when gaming to reduce stress on the fridge components.

Good luck!
            Also appearing as Dr.Congo / Dynamo=Chicken

Comment

Make a fishtank out of your computer.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

if the cpu is water cooled... you are still putting off the same amount of heat!! it is just heating the water instead, you still have x amount of watts of thermal displacement
                powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                  if the cpu is water cooled... you are still putting off the same amount of heat!! it is just heating the water instead, you still have x amount of watts of thermal displacement
                  The reason for counting it. is the total amount of heat at any one moment should be leveled off. With the water being cold, i dont anticipate SPIKES in the ammount of heat being put off from the radiator, as opposed to the gfx that jumps 20 degrees in moments when i ramp it up. I anticipate it will take the cpu a long time to warm the water above nominal running temp.

*not sure if i'm explaining it right lol*
                  Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                  Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post

I was wondering about submerging into non conductive liquid, couldn't think of any :P
                    Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                    Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

You know, I don't think this will turn out well for the above stated reasons. I think you'd be better off spending money on a phase exchange or chilled water set up. A fridge compressor is not meant to cool a space heater.

check out http://www.xtremesystems.org , they have forums dedicated to a sundry of cooling solutions.
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post

[nerd mode] That, my friend, is the coolest thing, I have ever seen. [/nerd mode]

|
                        |

Comment

Originally posted by TOOmuchMcLovin View Post
                          I was wondering about submerging into non conductive liquid, couldn't think of any :P
                          I have seen a bunch of articles on people putting it in like cooking oil. Google is your friend. :D
                          And at 1st I thought that site above was cool, till I built my own rig on there and this is what it said
                          System Price: $3,268.29

Ummmmmm........no.
                          I built mine for about $1500.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Its mostly a hobby project. First ideas was running electrically insulated copper tubing compressor, basically a refrigirated board. However after one botched try i couldn't come up with a solution to water settling on the board. The solution is sealing the board contacts and leads, however I have yet to figure a way to do that, without making the board and parts one unit, thus unable to replace parts or upgrade. I did think however, it may be possible to combine this idea with the mineral oil setup mentioned above.

I'm still gonna try this, I've seen it done on enterprise setups, with our IT lab being cooled to 40 degrees for a server farm. Same idea much smaller scale.
                            Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                            Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

I saw these guys at an Embedded Systems show a couple years ago:

http://www.spraycool.com/

Alas, they target the military, where they can get a big chunk of money from targeted sales effort. They didn't seem to have any interest in retail sales.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X