network issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network issue

i have a random problem with both my computers once in a while, and with my laptop nonstop as of this morning...

i run wireless on both computers, im on my desktop right now but i tried to use my laptop.. i connect to the network fine.. but when i try to use anything that is over the internet, it is like the computer isnt connected at all... i can ping my router, i can ping any site i try to access but when i try IE...Opera...Firefox... even xfire and steam cannot connect... the problem is usually intermittent but now it is constant with my laptop... no reset will fix the problem anymore. any ideas?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: network issue

windows firewall or dns servers would be my first guesses.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

firewall is off, and what is dns server

i just tried my laptop and it worked... before i did anything, but i was goning to do this in cmd:

ipconfig /flushdns
      ipconfig /registerdns
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I have a work laptop at home that sits on in the docking station quite a bit and I will get the same thing. Usually, just restarting it seems to work. I am guessing that your DCHP address may expire and a new one is assigned and your laptop gets lost in the lurch. You can also do iprelease and iprenew to see if that works. You may want to check your router to see if you have the maximum time alloted to assignment for DCHP addresses. In my case, my laptop won't always look for a new or renewed wireless connection unless I command it to do so.

Comment

ya, but this morning, i restarted it 5 times in a row to the same problem, but the weird thing is, the very moment i booted my desktop, the problem resolved itself, and when i shut down my desktop because my laptop was working (so i could surf at the kitchen table while enjoying a cup o joe, it decided to have the error again... idk if having my desktop on made the dif or if it just decided to work for 5 min ( the time my desktop was on... ) but it is acting WEIRD
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
            ya, but this morning, i restarted it 5 times in a row to the same problem, but the weird thing is, the very moment i booted my desktop, the problem resolved itself
            Is that THE problem? Did you configure your router so that you instructed it that computers would connect through that main computer instead of through the router gateway? Do you have DCHP enabled? Can you see a DCHP client list with all of your computers on it?

Comment

my laptop is not routed through my desktop, all computers are directly connected to the router... where would i see the dchp list? in the router?
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

yes in the router.
                go into your router setup screen and make sure DCHP is enabled.
                the default address is ususally 192.168.0.1

Comment

I wonder if somehow the router is routing through the desktop, like a misconfigured DMZ or something. or if the network is looking to the desktop as a proxy.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Somewhere in your router settings will be something for DCHP. DCHP allows your one IP connection address to be shared by multiple computers at the same time by assigning sub-addresses. Dodge and I suspect that your DCHP is not configured and your computers are fighting over your one connection to claim the IP. Here is what it looks like on mine, yours may look different, but it will me the same idea. The part that is cut off at the bottom shows all my computers that are sharing the connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                      what is dns server
                      Just as the phone system has a white pages that translates peoples' names to phone numbers, the Internet has a white pages that translates host names (like www.tacticalgamer.com) to IP addresses. This white pages is called the Domain Name System, or DNS. It's a hierarchical set of servers called Domain Name Servers (also DNS). Your system has a cache of the most recent lookups in this directory. But the entries often change, so your cache needs to time them out.

The cache also remembers if there's no entry (called a negative entry). If you ask for a lookup when no server is available, you get a negative entry that needs to be flushed when the server is accessible again. That's what the /flushdns is for.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Tonk, if you have a router with advanced options under DHCP or DNS, you can usually permenantly assign a private IP address to each system that connects to your router.

Your issue sounds a lot like two computers trying to share the same private IP.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X