Vista Firewall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Firewall?

What is a good firewall program to use with Vista x64 Ultimate. I want one that works and is does not contain the name norton/mcafee/etc.

Re: Vista Firewall?

I looked at Zonealarm when I first went vista 64, but it doesn't work last time I checked.

Comodo was recently updated
    http://cybernetnews.com/2007/11/21/c...-did-it-again/

They just had an update out yesterday:
    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Lifehacker.com (another awesome site) just did a survay yesterday on what people like.
    http://lifehacker.com/368407/battle-...ware-firewalls
    There are 50+ comments to read, but Comodo won.

I tried it the day they released the 64bit update about 2 months ago, but I had some kind of glitch with BF2 PR, and uninstalled it right away. I haven't had time to reinstall and try to configure it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I don't know if AVG's firewall works with Vista 64, but I've been happy with it on XP 32.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

no probs thus far with AVG on vista 64. As for the firewall, I think I am going to try Comodo.

Comment

I installed comodo on a friends machine and it seems ok. It is a little annoying at times for a few reasons. I have zone alarm on my system and like it alot.

One thing if you have it enabled and you go to launch a multiplayer game it will stop the game from connecting. Fine. But it doesn't bring the popup window over the game screen, you need to alt+tab out to see the message. Second, and the big pain in the butt untill you figure it out, if you choose to allow a program to run it defaults to "allow" and "remember my choice". GREAT but... it defualts to defining the .exe as an installer and you have to use the pull down menue on screen to select "trusted application". If you don't it ends up popping up everytime as if you didn't make the selection before. Very annoying when compared to zone alarm. If you know this then the firewall should be good.

Comment

I like ZA for my XP computers, but I read a lot of bad reviews for it and Vista. Even more bad reviews for the free vs pro version regardless of OS :(

Comment

And again, ZA isn't on Vista64 last time I looked

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Edit: Beaten out by Bamboo

I don't think zone alarm is 64 bit vista compatitable, it was and then they pulled it. I would imagine the poor reviews are from that period of time and obviously there was issues. I hope they fix them and re release it.

Comment

Straight from the ZA website:

Attention Vista Users: ZoneAlarm 7.0 is not currently compatible with the Vista operating system. ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7.1, ZoneAlarm Antivirus 7.1, ZoneAlarm Pro 7.1, and ZoneAlarm 7.1 (free firewall) works on the Windows Vista operating system.

Comment

But do a search for Vista 64.
                    I did try installing it back in like Nov., but it wouldn't install.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I suggest using Windows Vista firewall. Go to Administrative Tools then Windows Firewall with Advanced Security to configure all the new options in Windows Firewall. By default, its configured like the old XP firewall and allows all outgoing connections. From Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, you can configure the firewall to block outgoing connections by default then setup rules to allow exceptions just like most of the third party firewalls.

Comment

interesting Fried, I will have to give it a look. +rep if I could.

Comment

@Drayu
                          What exactly are you looking for from the firewall?
                          Every article I have read on the subject says that a hardware firewall is always better than a software one.
                          I bought this one about 4 years ago when it was like $50 cause I needed a router, but it has a good firewall in it.
                          NETGEAR RP614 10/100Mbps Web Safe Router

Just plug it in and change the default password and good to go.

A software firewall can be used along with it if you are concerned that you already have a bad program on your rig and you don't want it calling home. That is pretty much what a software firewall is good for, and the difference between Windows firewall and one like Zonealarm. ZA will hit you up with a pop up everytime a new program wants to call out, but that give you the chance to say hell no to all the little programs that try and call home constantly.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hate to say it but I have had no reason for any other firewall protection besides what had always came with Windows. Most people can set up their routers and modems to block a lot of the stuff if they read and understand how to go about it. I had even ran my old computer for 2 years straight with no firewall software at all with no problems whatsoever. My question is WHY would windows firewall not be good enough? I am running it right now on Vista Ultimate x64. I can do anything I would normally, download torrents and such.

Comment

@Bamboo

I am just a worry wart I guess. I like to know what is calling out and to where. I want control.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X