Since everyone else is doing it: My new rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since everyone else is doing it: My new rig

Ok, so after a year, the old computer is just too slow for gaming. I mean even HL:S is only @ 38fps.

Anyway, I ordered a new computer yesterday and am pretty stoked.

Intel c2d T8300 2.4ghz 3meg cache
    4096 megs DDR2 (2x2)
    2x 250gig WD SataII
    Blu-Ray reader / DVD+-RW... yay!
    Geforce 8600GT 256meg
    1920x1200 Wuxga screen
    BlueTooth 2.0
    Wifi N/A/B/G
    Webcam
    Audigy sound

Total cost: 1267.58

Oh yeah, did I mention I almost exclusively use laptops?

This inspiron 1720 should run $1850, but the 30% off coupon dropped it to a pricepoint that was too good to pass up.

My old e1505 will either go to my wife, or I will sell it and get her a pretty pink 1420 or a purple flowered 1525. (i wish the 1525 had better graphics choices, the x3100 is about worthless.)
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Re: Since everyone else is doing it: My new rig

Looks good, but I would have held off on the Blu-Ray. That alone was probably $250-$300.

You are going to be loving your FPS compared to the old rig.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thats a pretty awesome laptop, I almost went that route, and after looking at that price i kinda wish i did... Nice setup!
      Oyee

Comment

the blu-ray was 200, so I got it for the cost of a standalone anyway... and the blu-ray burner was over the top at an EXTRA 150 over this one. The only upgrade I wanted was a t9300 with a 6 meg cache, but the performance could not be justified for 150 more.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Apologies for entering this thread late and bumping it back up to the top, but how is FPS (that's First Person Shooters, not Frames Per Second) on a laptop, I've heard its very hard, but if you exclusively use it, I'm guessing it works for you...?
          Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

I play quite a few FPS's. HL2, GRAW, BF2, MOH, COD 2 and 4, BF2 (not so fun right now - low framerate) AA, and GR all play well. I usually use an external keyboard/mouse, but I can manage ok with the built in versions too.

My 1720 will feature a full keyboard biult in, so I might get away with just it all the time...

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
              I play quite a few FPS's. HL2, GRAW, BF2, MOH, COD 2 and 4, BF2 (not so fun right now - low framerate) AA, and GR all play well. I usually use an external keyboard/mouse, but I can manage ok with the built in versions too.

My 1720 will feature a full keyboard biult in, so I might get away with just it all the time...
              Ah, I see about the external keyboard, and mouse especially. FPS with a laptop mouse is not pleasant, especially when you're competing with the 1337 people of TG ;).
              Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X