I need a

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a

new motherboard and CPU. I will run XP PRO and would like PCI Express. I am running AMD 939 now. Which is better, Intel or AMD and why.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Re: I need a

Would be happy to help ya man.

Right now Intel has the lead on gaming and horsepower. How much are you thinking to spend, like $250-300? And since 939 was DDR-1, arn't you going to need some RAM too? That is a good thing actually cause DDR-2 is super cheap right now, with 2 gigs of good stuff as cheap as $40, and 4 gigs as cheap as $85.
    Also, need to know what power supply you have and how many watts, and what size computer case you need to put this in, like ATX or miniATX.
    Let us know and we can start looking.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Sorry I did not get back earlier. I can afford between 300 - 500 if needed. Here is what I have now:

Case:
      Antec P182 Super Mid Tower

Power Supply:
      BFG 650 Wats BFGR650PSU

Hard Drive:
      704 GB Total

Video Card:
      BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

Monitor:
      Dual Samsung 19"

Sound Card:
      SB Audigy 4 [AC00]

Operating System:
      Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

With that much to work with, you have a huge range of options. It would come down to when you wanted to buy, and if you wanted Dual core or Quad core. If you could hold off a few weeks to a month, you could pick up the new 45nm stuff from intel that is getting rave reviews.
        Intel details its 45nm assault for early 2008
        They are out of stock everywhere, with Intel saying they will be shipping lots soon.
        That e8400 is pretty awesome, and is supposed to be priced under $200, but due to demand it goes for about $250 right now. (if you can find it)
        If you don't have to have something today, I would wait and get something from that lineup.

If you do need to buy this week, then decide between dual and quad again.
        The q6600 quad is going for about $250 most places.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017
        Look at the reviews for it.
        If you live near a MicroCenter, you can get it on sale for $199
        http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0257938

If you want dual, the e6850 is really good at $269
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115028

But notice it runs at 3.0, and the e8400 above runs at 3.0 also. The 8400 would be better in the long run and cheaper once they are back in stock.

As for motherboard, it is hard to say which to get because you need to look at what they offer for your needs, like how many USB ports do you want, do you want e-SATA, wifi, do you think you would consider SLI or Crossfire in the future, etc.

I would say just about anything from ASUS would make you happy, and I know a lot of other guys here like them.

By the way, I have the same case as you, so you are not limited for sure in what you get by size. And to tell you the truth, if you really didn't mind spending $500 or slightly more, you could get a new graf. card as well, since the 8800GT is $200 or less now, and would be a big jump compared to the 7800 you have. The 8800GT is really an amazing card compared to older cards. The 9600GT would actually beat the 7800 as well, and it is as low as $125-$150.
        Would turn out like this if you could wait for the price to come down on the e8400

CPU $200
        8800GT $175
        Asus motherboard $139
        something like this one
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131225
        though there are ones even cheaper.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The OEM Xeon E3110 (vs. the C2D 8400) will save him a few bucks at most etailers (again, when stocks are back.) I also chose the e6750 vs the 6850 a while ago, and would again: much better for the money, in my opinion, but everyone's different on that. I'd wait for the 45nm E3110 for a new build.

I am curious as to why you need a new mobo/cpu combo, though- for instance, my main game rig is an opty 165, and think I'm gonna upgrade to the 8800GT before I replace that board/cpu combo. Just wondering why the board/CPU is the priority... If you're going to be running a 32-bit XP (which is what you've listed,) I don't see any real benefits to laying down cash now for a system that would much better shine under a 64-bit OS sometime in the future... (i.e. why build for more than 2G ram if you don't plan to use it?)
          OPS, the bacon is on you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X