iPhone users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone users?

Does anyone here use a jailbroken iPhone? I just 'updated' mine and am curious about the various apps available. I'm looking for forums or something that describes what apps you can install (preferrably with user ratings or feedback) so I know at least a little bit about the various apps before I install them.

I know this sounds pretty basic, but 15 min of googling looking for a forum haven't turned up anythiing, and I'm pretty sure this forum is hidden in plain sight and I'm just not seeing it.
    Beatnik

Re: iPhone users?

Look at engadget.com and gizmodo.com, as they have a post a couple of days a week about them. Just click through the article to the links and I am sure you could find some.

I'm still waiting for gen2 before I buy.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah both of those (and lifehacker.com) are on my daily list of sites where I hear about iPhone stuff, but I eventually found what I was looking for:

http://appleiphoneschool.com/sources

I would've waited for 2.0 (harware) too, but my other Samsung phone died and gave me a great excuse to get one. Best 400 bucks I ever spent.

And now that it's jailbroken I just made it a multi-touch remote control for my HTPC. :D
      Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post

And now that it's jailbroken I just made it a multi-touch remote control for my HTPC. :D
        WOW

Comment

So I take it you saw the live blog they did from the SDK show a couple of weeks ago? I am really looking forward to that, and the games that it will make possible.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah I saw the coverage of it. It was a bit disappointing (hence my decision to jailbreak yesterday), but I'm sure cool stuff is coming with the SDK. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what actually comes out in June and what follows.
            Beatnik

Comment

You can get a description of apps just by going to more info in the package description. Most apps have a description or a link to a website that will describe the app in detail. Are you looking for a specific kind of app or just cool things for the iPhone?

I found a blog somewhere before that seemed to describe a lot of the apps in the Installer but I forget the link. But I think you can get by just through looking at the package description and clicking on 'More Info' that usually leads to the app's website. If it doesn't have a description, don't bother because it's probably a crappy app without any thought put into it.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

This just out today and thought you might like

Download Cool & Jazzy Iphone Application Icons

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Sarc: I was just looking for cool things for my newly jailbroken iPhone. The one thing in particular I wanted was the Touchpad Pro. For some reason, a lot of the apps that come with sources included with installer.app don't have descriptions other than 'please donate'. But a lot of those sources pages I linked to above have descriptions so I'm good.

Thanks for the linkage Bamboo. Good stuff. I just loaded 6 or 7 themes with the Customize app, and will add that first set too. :)
                  Beatnik

Comment

I go with pretty much the source that comes with the Installer. Adding more makes browsing the apps a little slower and there's not much else worth looking at. A lot of cool stuff comes with the default source. There's VNSea for VNC access. You can get Apache server or FTP apps. Check out Apollo for IM support with various networks.

Tap Tap Revolution is pretty fun to do while listening to music. LocateMe is kind of neat for seeing where you are on google maps.

Comment

I've tried that app and I like it. I also like the iTunes remote controller--your iPhone controls the iTunes running on your computer. You can see album art, etc just like you can from iTunes. This app was perfect for me since I can stream music to any/all speakers throughout my place and control it all from my iPhone.

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                      Yeah both of those (and lifehacker.com) are on my daily list of sites where I hear about iPhone stuff, but I eventually found what I was looking for:

http://appleiphoneschool.com/sources

I would've waited for 2.0 (harware) too, but my other Samsung phone died and gave me a great excuse to get one. Best 400 bucks I ever spent.

Twisted Firestarter
                      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                      sigpic

Comment

I have never tried to jailbreak my Iphone i heard you have to downgrade the version to like 1.2 or something

Comment

Nope. 1.1.4 is the latest official Apple release, and Ziphone jailbreaks it painlessly in about 45 seconds. :D

Other cool apps I've found in the last week or two include Funiculus, a guitar tuner for the Iphone that uses the mic (VERY cool), the iFlix app for arranging my Netflix queue when I'm AFK, and Orb for streaming audio and video to my ipod from my PC. The TouchpadPro update to work with iTunes is awesome, too. I'll definitely be giving that dude $5 to upgrade.
                          Beatnik

Comment

do you know a site that i can find jailbreaks?

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
                              do you know a site that i can find jailbreaks?
                              Google ZiPhone. It'll take care of all your unlocking/jailbreaking needs.

MobileScrobbler is great for any Last.fm users. It'll save any scrobbled songs if you're offline and upload the data when you get access to the Internet again. It also displays the currently playing song's lyrics, the artist's upcoming events, and artist bio.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X