New widescreen monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New widescreen monitor

Hey guys can someone suggest a program for stretching BF2/PR to fit a widescreen monitor correctly. I have just bought a Samsung 225MW, previously had a viewsonic 19 ".

I'd like to run PR as pretty as possible. Have a BFG 8800 GTS o/c 2, 320MB installed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've heard some of the programs have Punkbuster issues (I'm dumber than dirt about this sort of thing, so any help at all will be useful).

Thanks

Wicks

Re: New widescreen monitor

Nothing stretches it correctly, and the program that people use to "fix" it has it benefits and downfalls. I would just go with the string: +szx 1680 +szy 1050 in your PR start link, 1680 1650 should be changed to your resolution.

AND, there are a few threads going over at PR you can check out on this.

Comment

if you want to increase your Field of View you can use this program Widescreen Fixer.

this program does not cause any issues with PB but I do suggest running v1.39 as its the most stable if I remember correctly.

make sure you select BF2 1.4 as you game as there are several games that this program works with
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

There really isn't a perfect solution for us widescreeners. I use the szx/szy command strings to stretch the game to fill my screen. It looks fine to me. Many use Widescreen Fixer, but you should know how that program works; it essentially un-zooms your view. This means you get more peripheral vision, but it comes at the cost of making it more difficult to see distant objects. I play on a 1280x800 (15.4") screen, so to me this is unacceptable. If I was on a bigger screen with higher resolution, it might not be an issue.

|
        |

Comment

Here is a copy and paste from the last time we talked about this here in the forum:

"I actually helped one of my squad mates out last night with this and he is really happy now.
          Once you install, go to your EAGAMES/Battlefield 2/ Mods/ pr/ movies file.
          There you will see like 4 movies. Like "menu.bik"
          Rename each one of those movies keeping the name the same, but by adding an "e" to the end so it will read "menu.bike". You can use any letter you want, but the guide I read used e, so I did too. And it is easy to remember if you ever want to take it off later.
          That will let your game start up with out any movies, so much quicker.
          Next, you will need to edit your shortcut for PR so that it will let you play at 1680x1050. You have to do this to your shortcut since DICE and EA are to stupid to believe that anyone would actually have a widescreen monitor.

Right click on your PR icon and go to properties.

You are going to want it to look like this in the "target" space:
          "F:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/pr +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050 +playerName ******** +playerPassword ********

Just copy and paste, but might need to change the location from F: drive to C: drive or whatever else.

In the place of the *********** put your username and password, making sure to leave any spaces that are there, like between playerName and **************
          You have to do it exactly as it should, as it is case sensitive.

Once you do that above and hit OK, it will open your game at that rez, and also auto log you in so that you will quickly just go to the selection screen for playing.
          In the options menu, you will see that the rez will still show the default, but don't try to change it, it was set right by your shortcut. You can adjust the settings like HIGH and MED. now though. Lots of people have bugs with a memory thing, and will crash to desktop after 2 map loads. I did a ton of searching before I found out why it was happening to me, and a lot of other people. You can set everything to high, but have to set lighting quality to medimum. Supposed to happen to a lot of vista people, and besides, Tweakguides.com shows shots comparing High and Med., and you can't really tell much of a difference.

Anyway, by squadmate changed his last night and was really happy. He also had a 22" and had been playing at some weird standard rez since he bought it.
          "

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I did what Bamboo suggested as well and it seems pretty good. The biggest thing that seems out of whack is the mini map, but that is not really that bad. It is a little oval.

Comment

They took out the mini map except for when in a vechical anyway.
              But mine is still perfectly round I think. I have heard of the oval looking minimap on some monitors, so I wonder if it is something else like the monitor itself affecting it.

Edit:
              Decided to jump ingame and look to see, so got a screen shot as well. Map is square now anyway, and looks fine.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Wick, if you tried this and it works let me know...I have a 22 that I am not using just because I dont want to screw it up...Thanks everyone
                sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

How would you screw it up?
                  The above shot is from a 22" monitor, with a 15" side monitor.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Easy for me to do, but your info is spot on...going to try it tonight...thanks Bamboo
                    sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X