TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Vista

The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Vista was just updated to version 2, with the release of Service Pack 1.

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

"TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Vista
    19 March 2008

The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Windows Vista has undergone a major revision, bringing it up to Version 2.0. The guide has not only been updated for all the changes resulting from Vista SP1, it has also had a significant number of additions and changes to ensure that it remains the most comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date Vista guide available. Both the Regular and Deluxe Editions have been updated, and the full change list is provided at the bottom of the TGTC download page."

Some interesting stuff he has to say about Vista:

"Recently I did a comparison of bootup times for Windows XP vs. Vista SP1. I'm running a dual boot, so the hardware is identical for both OSes, and I'm using full functionality including wallpapers, themes, Aero, Sidebar, etc. - this is my everday configuration and is not stripped down. Importantly, both XP and Vista have been optimized as per the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion, and the results speak for themselves: XP boots up in 32 seconds from start to fully responsive desktop, Vista takes 40 seconds to do the same. From the dual boot OS menu the times are 16 and 24 seconds respectively. I've posted blurry video proof on YouTube: XP Bootup vs. Vista Bootup.

These results clearly demonstrate three things:

# Don't listen to the sensationalist nonsense spouted by bloggers and so-called tech experts that Vista is slow or bloated - Vista's boot time was very fast and only 8 seconds longer than XP's in return for additional (optional) features like Aero, the Sidebar, Desktop Search, Defender, etc.
    # Optimization can make a significant difference, and tweaking is not about reducing functionality or turning down the visuals just to gain performance. If done right, you can have the best of all worlds.
    # Your system is never too old to benefit from tweaking - my PC was built 3 years ago (with only a graphics card upgrade last year), and is still doing a great job, even when running Crysis at Very High, all thanks to tweaking.

So if you've been putting off reading the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion or any of the other guides, I suggest you give them a try. Oh, and don't believe everything you read about Vista ;)"

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Vista

I have found the tweakguides for most games to be very helpful. I found thier xp tweakguide to be very noob freindly. Experts will probably know most things in the guide. There are not any really controversial tweaks. Well documented as well.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I too like the tweak guides they put out and have used a few for games. I will need to look into the vista guide as I just about fell over when I saw how much ram and processes run in stock config :icon_eek:

Comment

nice one bamboo!

Comment

I had done some of the tweaks this guide suggest doing and had some bad luck. After turning off some of the services that I thought were of no use I had troubles opening Control Panel and other stuff. I couldn't get back into the Services to set them back to default till I found a fix for the services.msc file or whatever it is. So, I thought about backing up my important stuff and just reinstalling Vista again. Maybe I will try some again to see what happens from a clean install with SP1. What I get a kick out of is I game with a person that also runs a dual boot of XP Pro and Vista and he claims he can load games a lot quicker, I can usually be in the game waiting for him and his computer is slightly better than mine and he is running Xp when gaming. I made a smart remark to him about that just last night. He didn't have any comment but I told him Vista seems to load and play a lot of the games pretty fast to me. Last time I played PR I had to wait the 1:56 or something like that, I considered that to be pretty fast. Haven't played it lately due to being into CoD4 so much right now.

Comment

Same for me with loading in PR. Last night the timer was set to 3 mins., and I was in the game at 2:56 left on the clock.
            A lot of that has to do with the harddrive from what I have read about BF2 load times, like how full the drive is, how defragged it is, etc.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X