New rig building, advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rig building, advice?

Gah, meant to post this before i went to work, but button no worky..

It finally happened, my ancient computer's motherboard bit the dust, and I have some decent pocket change from my tax refund to spend on a new one (currently posting using an even more ancient 10 year old celeron with linux.)

I'm looking to finally get a decent mid-high end system. I usually keep my computer systems until they die or I run out of upgrade paths which I was pretty close to doing on my socket478 that died.

So far, from what I've looked at at newegg and other places, I've picked out some prospective parts. I'm looking for running some new games that'v come out in the past year or so, maybe finally being able to run ARMA and Bioshock, and Frontlines as well as looking on keeping it current with minimal upgrades.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813131232 I was thinking for motherboard. I'm not too sure about it because it only has one IDE cable and a dearth of PCI slots, so i'd be forced to choose between having my wifi or my X-FI card.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130325 for my videocard, as I won't be able to use my AGP 6800GS on the new one. Thats the new generation 8800GTS which in raw specs i've looked pretty much rival the GTX. I'm thinking of picking up 2 for SLI when/if the prices go down sometime. Would that be sufficient or should i look at the bargain 9600GT's? I haven't seen specs for them though.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820148183 RAM

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822148298 HD. I'm unsure about picking up two of them and running RAID 0, or picking up a smaller HD for my OS and nonessentials and using that for my game install drive, while using my old IDE 250gb for a torrent/video/music storage drive.

I'm waiting on newegg to get the 3ghz Wolfdale 8400s back in stock.

Any recommendations? Also on cooling. My current case has a lot of fans.. 2 to suck air out the top past the PSU and current northbridge, 2 to suck air out of the PCI and AGP slots, and a large 60mm to blow over the current HD's, as well as an old thermaltake tornado iirc. That kept it nice and cool even overclocking my 2ghz northwood to 2.7 with 533fsb. I'm thinking of keeping the same case. Or should i look at watercooling, and if so, what's a decent yet cheap setup?

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: New rig building, advice?

you will possibly need to look into a new power supply, as an SLI setup will 1) be more power requirement-wise than you most likely have, and 2) the new connectors and # of them are most likely not present on your current PSU.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I'm not a big fan of SLI. Grab one 8800GTS and upgrade a year or so later to another single card that is a decent performer. SLI is good for high resolution rigs where you need the power at build time. Using SLI as an upgrade path isn't really that worthwhile since at the time of upgrade you can get a single card that performs just as well for a decent price.

The motherboard you've chosen has a layout you can work with. Slap that X-Fi in there and you'll still have space for a wireless network card. There aren't that many add-on cards that require PCI unless you're doing something specific with your PC like video capture. Don't worry about the IDE cable. You can still use one IDE harddrive and an IDE CD/DVD drive. You're going to be upgrading to a SATA drive anyway.

As for RAID, it's your choice whether you want to do RAID 0 or not. I personally don't do it since I don't need the performance boost and it simplifies OS reinstalls. It's not really that big of a boost in gaming performance; just a load time boost. Sometimes I still load fairly quickly for games with one separate drive for game installs. Although, it makes a pretty big improvement in boot times when using RAID.

If you need to save money, you really don't need a new case. The ATX standard hasn't really changed so the only upgrade is airflow in the case. Although, I would get an Antec P180 or P182 for a new case.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The reason i asked about watercooling is because this computer normally resides on the floor in the basement and runs mostly 24/7. After a bit the insides get a bit caked with some odd very fine sticky dust from the basement, and it's been a hassle for me to dissassemble my existing videocard's fan and heatsink to clean it out, as well as the processor heatsink that got clogged up like crazy every 6 months or so, to bring the heat temps back down. Are there some intake filters i could use or something, instead? because a large heatsink and fan for a new computer would probably be even worse to clean than these.

If watercooling would be the way to go, especially since i might overclock later, what would you suggest, and would they be relatively straightforward to install? I haven't built a pentium-era computer before :p The computers I build/maintain usually don't even need a heatsink or a fan, the ambient airflow from the PSU cooled them as well as convection :madsmile:

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

When using water cooling you will still need to use fans to cool down other components such as the north and southbridge, hard drives, etc. There are filters that you can buy (in fact filters come on the p180) that will really help. Also that ram looked a bit expensive. I suppose the timings are good but perhaps Im missing something amazing about them.
          I agree with Sarc about the SLI. SLI is better as an upgrade than as something put into a newly built computer. You might check into the 9800GTX although I havent read many reviews on them so just be sure to check lots of benchmarks.

Comment

I'm thirding the no SLI route. Just not worth the hassle unless you are running like a 24 in. LCD or bigger. And since you are waiting on the e8400, I would consider your grf. card options then. Tomorrow the 9800GTX is released (pictures already have it out at bestbuy.
            http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/31/n...-up-in-stores/
            And that will bump down the prices on all their stuff, since it is supposed to go for $350.
            I recommend a guy in the ARMA forum go with a 9600GT instead of the like 7800GT sli set up he was about to do, and he posted back VERY happy about it.
            Read here
            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...tml#post953336
            and then how it turned out:
            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...tml#post955702

Personally I would go with at lest an 8800GT, but he is unemployed at the moment.

You will need a new power supply for sure. Make sure you get one with the new PCI-E conncetions and SATA connections. And if still considering SLI, it better be a big PSU. Look up in the stickies for a thread about power supplies.

I am also enjoying the 1 small fast OS harddrive, and 2nd drive for games and movies and stuff. Yes, raid is faster, but not worth the hassle for like 3 sec. faster loading. I am usually one of the 1st ingame in Pro. Reality mod (like if the timer is set to 3 mins., I am in by 2:54 on the clock.)

As they said, don't worry about the IDE cable. As a matter of fact, the best thing you could do is ditch it all together. Go a full SATA setup. A really good DVD burner with SATA is only about $35, and go ahead and get a SATA DVD-ROM for $19 so you can copy stuff and don't have to constantly be changing disks. If you still want to use the old HD for storage, spend $30 and get an external inclosure for it with USB, and that can be your backup drive. Will get rid of that fat gray cable and help with airflow.

I have the P182 mentioned above, and it as filters on the front I can take out and rinse. Works really well and inside my case is clean, and filter needs rinsing about 1 time a month. Might be able to install a filter in yours some how.

Don't know about the motherboard though. I am still just not into Nvidia chipsets, and seems like they just have so many problems. You have to get one if you are going SLI though.
            I am very happy with my p35 chipset ASUS board, and seems most people are too. The x38 boards are also out and well liked, but if you wanted to run dual grf. cards, you would need to go ATI, or just a single Nvidia.

Also about heat, you will have a much cooler case getting rid of that Intel 478. That alone was like a mini space heater in your case. The e8400 runs WAYYYYYYY cooler.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah, the way my old rig worked, i had the smaller, faster 80gb drive with my OS, and the larger one with more cache for my storage and game. I've gone with the g92 8800gts route because it seemed more bang for the buck, too bad i didn't hear about that 9800gtx releasing... but i still haven't seen good hardware specs on it. Last i saw with the G92s was thier performance nearly edged out the old GTX and blew away the early 9x series.

Newegg doesn't seem to ever want to restock the wolfdales, they've been out of the boxed versions for a month and the OEM one i was looking at disapeared a day after posting my original post, so i bit the bullet and bought the oem version at tigerdirect for sadly 30 dollars more. This seems to be the only one actually available anywhere under 300 dollars looking at pricewatch and some other sites, and in some places they're selling at an unbelievable 500.

As for a new powersupply, i've chosen an OCZ GameXStream 600W. 4 12v rails, SLI and 80%+ certified, and the thing was decently inexpensive. MANY people were telling me that going over 600-650w even for an SLI setup was complete overkill, when i piped up to them i was thinking of buying a 1kw. heh.

Bought two coolers. one was for the pentium D 805s so i think i'm well covered, incase the zalman 9500 is too big/unwieldly to actually fit in my case. I thought i measured it and it should though.

I thought I was building just a mid-average system but several people i've talked to online have told me this would be a killer games rig, pretty high-end. guess i'm fairly out of touch. I haven't actually had a dedicated games rig in a while, the previous one was actually someone's fileserver, but it was better than the 1.1ghz celeron eMachines i had since 1999 when i bought it in 2005..

You're right about the p4 being a little heat demon but at least it wasn't a PresHOT ;) with the Thermaltake Polo 735 i had even overclocked 700mhz it idled at 87 and under full load never got over 140f.

Comment

Hate to tell ya, but SLI sucks power like you wouldn't believe.
                Here is a link to a 8800GTS review of power usage.
                Power Consumption Tests
                Goes to 323 watts under load, so in SLI you are already over what that PSU would handle just in SLI power needs.
                Just be glad you aren't talking about the new dual GPU cards from ATI and Nvidia, as they use 400+ watts under load.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I just built this box and so far I am very happy with it:

CPU: E8400 (OC~3.6GHZ)
                  MB: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 DDR2
                  Mem: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (Running 800 1:1 4-4-4-12 2.1v)
                  PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
                  DVDR: SAMSUNG DVD±R SH-S203B
                  HD1: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB
                  HD2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB
                  OP: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B
                  Case: P182
                  HS: Thermalright Ultra-120
                  Fans: 5 x 120mm S-Flex Scythe
                  TC: Arctic Silver 5
                  Vid: EVGA 9800GX2
                  Sound: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
                  OS: Vista64/XP (Vista64 is main OS, XP just for training wheels... :) )
                  Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

I had bought 2 Raptors of different sizes. 1 the 36Gb and the seconf the 74Gb, reason why I did this is I use a program to drefrag my hard drives that speeds things up a lot better than just regular defrag does. I really was experimenting whne I did this but so far it seems pretty good. I run Vista from the 36Gb and games only from the 74GB.

I do wish I got a 74Gb and maybe the 150Gb Raptors, the 36Gb with just Vista and programs almost has the 36Gb at 60% used. I will probbaly go bigger at a later date though.

I would also go with an 8800GT if you can fork it out, it appears to be running games better than the 9600GT. The E8400 is what I also have, since I do have Vista I wished I held off and got the new quad core processor Q9450.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X