9800GTX early tests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800GTX early tests

New article out this morning. Remember, this is an early test with beta drivers, so it could get a little bit better.
    Bottom line is it is better than the 8800, but nothing major. How well it sells will depend on how they price it.
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX Early Test!

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: 9800GTX early tests

Cool, can't wait. Sad to see its not much better than the 8800gts. I had high hopes on the 9800 series. I'll probably still end up with a GTX though; for the minor improvement, and to upgrade my brother.

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem incredibly stupid that they would use a model name that is the same as an ATI one which is about 3 generations old already? ;)

Any idea if this is going to be priced at $600+?

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

the 9800GX2 or whatever is 600, this one is supposed to be less.

Comment

The word is this will be priced anywhere for $300-$500, depending on the roumer. We will know for sure in like 4 days. Gets released on April 1st.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

More early tests, this time of 9800 in TRI-SLI
            and they have it against a 9800 x2 in SLI for quad sli.

Again, looks like drivers suck right now.

home > articles > visual > nvidia geforce 9800gtx in tri sli tested NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX in Tri SLI Tested

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

From all the reviews I've seen, it seems like you really need to be pushing a LOT of pixels to see a marked advantage from more than 2 GPU cores. Look at the reviews of the 8800s in SLI and tri SLI and you will see that you don't see any difference until the resolutions are bumped up into the 2048xWhatever range. Performance from the single cards drop off dramatically, but the sli, tri, and quads don't budge because of the huge memory bandwidth. I saw one chart where performance of an 8800 tri-sli setup actually increased with an increase in resolution.

And you're right. Looks like the drivers suck for now.

|
              |

Comment

Word of warning: the 9600 series has been PLAGUED with problems regarding signal loss and faulty chipsets/BIOS. The OC cards seem to have this the worst, but it has been across the board from all chip manufacturers.

I would not be surprised if the 9800s will experience the same problem.
                -F-

Comment

Originally posted by ikonic View Post
                  Word of warning: the 9600 series has been PLAGUED with problems regarding signal loss and faulty chipsets/BIOS. The OC cards seem to have this the worst, but it has been across the board from all chip manufacturers.

I would not be surprised if the 9800s will experience the same problem.
                  I would be surprised if there were any more problems with the 9800 series than with the newer 8800GT and 8800GTS cards, seeing that they're all G92 based. For the same reason, I think its unrealistic to expect much improvement from better drivers. The 9800 series is Nvidia's way of saying "ATI hasn't been competitive so we can rely on marketing rather than real performance gains to see our new card." The 9800 series is a huge disappointment.
                  sigpic

Comment

My recent headaches with vista and a 8800gt really make me want to switch to ATi just to try that route for a while. They seem to have their share of troubles but they actually seem to be ahead of nvidia for drivers now. Plus crossfirex is such a sweet upgrade path

Comment

I am holding off on a grf. card upgrade till ATI puts out their 4000 series this summer, and can't wait to see the planned 4870 X2. There are leaked roadmaps, and that card is supposed to be happening.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well, news is coming out pretty quick now:

Leaked: Gainward 9800GTX pics
                        Tomorrow is the big unvailing and the end of the NDA.

But in even bigger news:
                        GT200 to become 9900GTX and 9900GX2, launch date set to July

I really can't believe they would do this. Lot of people confused. The 9800GTX seems almost pointless if something that will blow it away will be out in 4 months.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Now that is annoying...gimmicks, keeping people on their toes, promising "the next big thing soon", named-based market strategies...it really is stupid from nVidia. I've just lost all faith and respect for them, I'm gonna go ATi almost definitely.
                          Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Today is release day, and here is a link to tons of reviews and write ups.
                            http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9248/index.html

I liked this article because they tested with a 22" LCD rez.

Here are their conclusions:
                            http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/04/...ew/page14.html

Edit:
                            Newegg has them all for $329
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...800&name=512MB
                            Last edited by Bamboo; 04-01-2008, 11:03 AM.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well slap my face and call me a dumbass.

After looking at those results for a couple hours, I can only come to the conclusion that I am an idiot. The 9800 GTX is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and if anyone from nVidia is watching Internet forums and their reactions to the 9800GTX, and ones is looking here, I apologize for my 2 or 3 rants about nVidia sucking. Don't get me wrong, the 9800 GTX is still a disappointment, but not as much as I thought it would be.

Now this is for everyone that can't be bothered to look through article after article for hours, and also because I have so much going on in my head right now, I need to get all this down somewhere.

It seems the 9800 GTX is an overclocked 8800GTS (512MB version, which is actually better than a 8880 GTX...don't know when that happened, but anyway...), and it is a decent card. What makes this card extra special is that it has loads of extra features, which make it a future-proofed card. All of the technology that games will come out with will be supported and work well with the 9800 GTX, and there are little nifty design features that make it a good card, especially for watching movies and other things in HD apparently. It is a great overclocker, and if someone were to overclock this to it's fullest potential, I'm almost certain it would become a legend of a card. In the end, some are calling it the best single-core GPU out there while other are sayng it's just an overclocked 8800 GTS 512.

The price of the GPU is great for a new high-end GPU, putting an end to leaked rumors that were giving quite ridiculous prices. It's priced lower than the 8800 Ultra, 3870 X2 and the 9800 GX2...8800 GTX prices have been or are in the process of being lowered below the 9800 GTX.

The game's benchmarks varied, and I was mainly looking at Crysis and CoD4. For Crysis, the 9800GTX was producing amazing graphics, but for CoD4, it was constantly outdone by other 8800 series cards.

The card delivers very good SLI, which also has Hybrid SLI, and also permits Tri-SLI (if you're mobo also has these features of course).

That's basically the jist of what I got, and I completely take back what I said, I'm not ruling out going nVidia. I'll wait and see what the prices and drivers are like when I buy, and I'll also have a look at the new ATi cards in May.

My last piece of information is what I think you should do depending on what you have, and if you're thinking of changing you're GPU.

If you're building a new system, or you're upgrading from a 7 series or 8600 series, and want a high-end GPU, consider the 9800 GTX. If you've already got a 8800 card, don't bother upgrading, either buy another card to get SLI, save up for a 9800 GX2, or save up and wait for the next series of nVidia and ATi cards.
                              Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X