No announcement yet.

New build... back to some PC gaming...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build... back to some PC gaming...

New (Game and fun) Build:

CPU: E8400 (Want to OC to 3.6 or hopefully 4Ghz)
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 DDR2
    Mem: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
    PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
    HD1: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB
    HD2: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB (already own)
    OP: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B
    Case: P182 (already own)
    HS: Thermalright Ultra-120 (already own)
    Fans: 2 x 120mm S-Flex Scythe (already own)
    TC: Arctic Silver 5 (already own)
    Vid: EVGA 8800GTX (already own)
    Sound: X-Fi (already own)

I went for the X48/DDR3 after looking at some benchmarks. Once I went passed P35 I just had to finish it out and go ahead with X48/DDR3. I considered the ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP but the reviews of the Gigabyte board were very good as well, and I wanted to give them a shot after years of Asus boards, plus it was a bit cheaper as well.

I know in a year or so I might upgrade again when Nehalem comes around but I didn't want to have to wait another year plus to upgrade.

I almost went 790i but I had a really bad time with 2 bad 680i boards (ended up scraping the upgrade last Nov) and even though this system is mostly for gaming I don't think the trouble of SLI is worth it, plus I can't stand the NB fan noise.

This has been the longest time I think ever that my computer has not been up to par for gaming, so finally I can play some of the good PC games from the last year or so. I'd been playing more and more 360 while I waited, and I'm sure the 360 will still get some gaming goodness, but at last I can get back to some PC gaming as well. :)

I am open to opinions about the build and such of course. :)

Update: After some more research and consideration I bailed on the DDR3... and went the DDR2 route.
    Last edited by AstroCat; 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM.
    Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Re: New build... back to some PC gaming...

Looks good, but will have to wait a while to get a e8400, the are out of stock everywhere.

Just something to consider, since you seem to like to upgrade often.
    DDR3 is crazy expensive right now, but next year's drool worthy Nehalem will require it. If you are planning to upgrade in a year, it might be worth while to get some DDR3 that you could use in your next upgrade, but think of it like this:
    The speeds and lantancy of DDR3 is only going to get better, and the price will drop a lot by the time you upgrade again. You will have to buy a new MB for Nehalem anyway. Why not just save the money now and get some good fast DDR2 for under $100 for 4 gigs. You are not going to notice any improvements going with the more expensive DDR3, and that is actually pretty slow speed compared to what would be out next year, and you might end up wanting faster RAM next time you upgrade, having wasted $464 dollars now. The $350 extra it would cost you to go with DDR3 over 2 would go a LONG way into something else on your rig. Hell, you could almost get a new 9800GTX next week, which would help with a lot of the newer games.
    Anyway, just my thoughts, but the same has been said by tons of review articles on tech sites when they look at DDR3. It just isn't worth the $$ right now.

I would also consider dropping $20 on an extra DVD-ROM or burner. It is so cheap, but so nice not having to change disks out constantly. I am running a p182 as well, and nice not having to open up that door every disk change.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

http://www.tankguys.com/ have the e8400 and q9450s in stock right now actually. My e8400 will be here tomorrow. :)

As for the upgrade, I know, I almost went P35/e8400/DDR2. The DDR3/X48 was a hard decision for sure, I went back and forth a ton of times but in the end I kind of went for it. I wanted to be on the front of the curve, even if only for a brief while. I'm sure next year DDR3 will be cheaper, not sure if it will be DDR2 cheap but for sure it will come down. If the timings improve a lot, yes I'll lose out on the Nehalem upgrade but you never know. And, it will be at least a year before I upgrade maybe a couple depending on just how awesome Nehalem ends up being.

I know the extra $350 or so for the DDR3 is a good chunk but after reading all the X48/DDR3 reviews I did see an actual performance jump from p35/DDR2 to p35/DDR3, espcially when OC'ing. I think there will be a difference, I know not a ton, but I splurged a bit, I haven't upgrading in a long time. :)

And I still have my eye on the 9800GTX... we'll see, I need to see some more benchmark tests.

Thanks for the reply :)
      Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

It says they are out of both at Tankguys :(

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The OEM versions are in though, I use an aftermarket HS/Fan. Oh and I can still switch to the DDR2 version if I want at this point... it really is a tough decisions because I do agree with most of the anti-DDR3 arguments for today's ICs.

Update: Switched to the DDR2 option after some more homework.
          Last edited by AstroCat; 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X